PDA

View Full Version : Replacing Shocks

jintag
03-21-2004, 10:58 AM
Can anyone offer advice on the difficulty of replacing all 4 shocks on a 94 525i? I would like to know how difficult it might be. Also, I've heard Billsteins are about the best; would you agree? Can you tell me anything about the best spring compressor to use for this job?

Martin in Bellevue
03-21-2004, 11:01 AM
The best spring compressors would be borrowed with a friend who's done the struts before. Bilstein's are good; they can be too firm for the first couple of months. Koni's are said to be very good & adjustable.

Super90
03-21-2004, 06:08 PM
I bought a great one from Sears that is really stong and it was only about $40. I used it on my 530im and my buddy's 540i-sport.

Here are the part numbers:
Sears item #00947057000
Mfr. model #90500

Don't skimp on the compressor as it is keeping you out of trouble. This one was much more burly than the others I saw on-line or at the usual cheap tool houses.

The other thing you could do is take them to your shop and have them R&R the struts/shocks. Would cost more, but you'll stay out of trouble.

We both used the Bilstein HD's, which were really stiff at first, but have softened up. Call BMA for good pricing and service.