PDA

View Full Version : Open or LSD?

Turbo Ready
03-30-2006, 09:51 PM
Hi Guys,

I started a thread requesting information about the e28 535i gearbox but it seemed to have pulled a Houdini on me. It was either tossed or got deleted during the server crash. I was hoping to post this question on the same thread.
The guys who did respond to the initial thread however, were all correct with the info given as I now have the gearbox out and it confirms what they said it was.

I just pulled the diff and thought it would have been an LSD since it came from an e28 87 535i I am a bit confused because the diff tests as an open one but yet the top has some indication of having the 2" stencil "S" on top as in the pic.

I tried brushing the stub axle bolt tabs but still can't see any proof of it being an LSD.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Alexlind123
03-30-2006, 09:54 PM
Its "limited" slip. 24% i think. that means it allows some slip, maybe enough to pass your test.

Edit: thats if its an lsd of course.

Kalevera
03-30-2006, 09:58 PM
That's because most high mileage LSD units have worn out or bad frictions.

Most of the units I pull apart seem to be done before 150k.

Pull off the back cover and have a look. Or take a picture and post it if you're unsure of what the LSD unit looks like.

best, whit

632 Regal
03-30-2006, 09:58 PM
from that pretty picture I cant tell much, is there an aluminum tag on one of the bolts with numbers?

Turbo Ready
03-30-2006, 10:15 PM
That's because most high mileage LSD units have worn out or bad frictions.

Most of the units I pull apart seem to be done before 150k.

Pull off the back cover and have a look. Or take a picture and post it if you're unsure of what the LSD unit looks like.

best, whit

Whit, I was thinking the same being worst case scenario. I was really hoping it was not a wear issue, but as you have indicated, may very well be.
This diff has 152,000 KM so 94,500 miles

I will take some pics and will post tomorrow.

Thanks allot Whit.

Turbo Ready
03-30-2006, 10:18 PM
from that pretty picture I cant tell much, is there an aluminum tag on one of the bolts with numbers?

I checked very quickly when we pulled it and I think I saw one but it seemed too corroded to distinguish any markings.

Kalevera
03-30-2006, 10:18 PM
Not that hard to replace the clutches. Never done it without a press, but I'm sure it could be worked out, a la Bidoli style.

best, whit

Rigmaster
03-30-2006, 10:23 PM
I checked very quickly when we pulled it and I think I saw one but it seemed too corroded to distinguish any markings.

Scrape the crud/corrosion off the tag with a knife or scraper blade- the diff ratio and possibly an "S" is stamped into the metal tag- you should be able to see it once you scrape that crap off...

Or, it's pretty easy to remove the rear cover like Whit said- and have a look-see at what you've got.

Bret.

Turbo Ready
03-30-2006, 10:28 PM
Not that hard to replace the clutches. Never done it without a press, but I'm sure it could be worked out, a la Bidoli style.

best, whit

I have a press Whit, but have never changed LSD clutches before, guess there is always a first time. I do quite a bit of automotive work and would love to tackle it. I guess BMW sells the replacement clutches Whit?

Thanks.

Turbo Ready
03-30-2006, 10:29 PM
Scrape the crud/corrosion off the tag with a knife or scraper blade- the diff ratio and possibly an "S" is stamped into the metal tag- you should be able to see it once you scrape that crap off...

Or, it's pretty easy to remove the rear cover like Whit said- and have a look-see at what you've got.

Bret.

Bret,

I will pull the rear cover off tomorrow and will upload some pics.

Thanks.

Turbo Ready
03-31-2006, 08:47 PM
Well guys it looks like it's an open diff after all BWAAAAAAAAHHHH :(

I was really hoping it was an LSD, oh well, my luck.

Turbo Ready
03-31-2006, 08:48 PM
Pic 2