PDA

View Full Version : S38: Somebody please buy this!

Kalevera
03-30-2006, 09:44 PM
For all of you who commit arbitrage on the regular (and I know who you are because I AM ebay) or otherwise have a genuine interest in an S38B35 for whatever devious/benevolent ends, I present:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=8050580905

Somebody please buy this! It looks like a great deal to me, and I'd snap it up in a second if I didn't just buy another car.

The flywheel alone is worth at least $300. Trans needs a rebuild (surprise!), but the head and block are worth two grand, I'd say.

best, whit

Blitzkrieg Bob
03-31-2006, 12:14 AM
Hmmmm......This is a work word.....I didn't expect this here.

I am worried now that someone is making money here...and not really having fun

liquidtiger720
03-31-2006, 12:24 AM
Bob....

I do not understand the point of your post.

angrypancake
03-31-2006, 12:34 AM
hell i dont even know what arbitrage means... hmmm where is dictionary.com

winfred
03-31-2006, 07:58 AM
dammit i am going to be about 45 miles from there in a month or two, i don't need this temptation, that would go sweet in the e30 though........****

angrypancake
03-31-2006, 08:03 AM
i wonder how many people are sitting on that auction waiting to bid wiht 8 seconds left. rotten bastards.

winfred
03-31-2006, 08:09 AM
i am one of those "rotten bastards" bidding with over a few seconds just drives up the price

i wonder how many people are sitting on that auction waiting to bid wiht 8 seconds left. rotten bastards.

angrypancake
03-31-2006, 08:10 AM
heh. it's an awesome way to win something. i'm one of those rotten bastards too... wish i had the spare $ to bid on that. hope you get it winfred.

winfred
03-31-2006, 08:14 AM
nah, if i wasn't floating a few grand for mom on the plastic id probably step on it

heh. it's an awesome way to win something. i'm one of those rotten bastards too... wish i had the spare $ to bid on that. hope you get it winfred.

632 Regal
03-31-2006, 08:29 AM
price is rocketing, 6 mins left 2075.00

632 Regal
03-31-2006, 08:38 AM
US $2,580.00
I swear tis jumped to this in the last 5 seconds!
talk about adreneline, this guy didnt bid at all til the last second....thats even cutting it closer than I do. He has it down!

Gayle
03-31-2006, 09:05 AM
I used to manufacture reasons to leave important work meetings to be able to bid in the last 10 seconds until I discovered bidnip. $.25 per bid and the first 5 are free. bidnip shaves it closer than I ever could--you never lose with bidnip. But on the other hand you don't get the adrenaline rush either. But you never space out and forget to bid on something you have been waiting for for days.

http://www.bidnip.com/

ryan roopnarine
03-31-2006, 09:32 AM
THREADJACK--so read around me if you are interested in that s38

i haven't bought anything from there yet (and i know the subject is somewhat touchy WRT the board), but one of the more popular "buy a gun over the internet" auctions www.gunbroker.com has instituted a stupid "15 minute rule" that i haven't seen anywhere else. was going to purchase a eastern bloc handgun as a present for someone there, but they have this stupid rule that says that the bidding must stop for at least 15 minutes before a winning bid is declared--to prevent last second sniping, and to even the playing field between people with high speed internet and dialup. anyone else seen something like this? nobody would continue to buy broken car crap off of ebay if they tried to do something like that.

DaveVoorhis
03-31-2006, 11:05 AM
www.gunbroker.com has instituted a stupid "15 minute rule" that ... says that the bidding must stop for at least 15 minutes before a winning bid is declared ... nobody would continue to buy broken car crap off of ebay if they tried to do something like that.

Why is that stupid? Sounds reasonable. What's stupid is that eBay encourages sniping and use of auto-sniping tools like Bidnip. These change an auction from what it's supposed to be -- a system where the highest bidder wins -- to a system where the luckiest bidder wins. This is especially true if multiple bidders use Bidnip and the like. Then the winner is effectively random -- unless bidders go back to setting a reasonable top bid, at which point it turns back to a true auction where the highest bidder wins.

winfred
03-31-2006, 11:37 AM
ubid.com did that (and probably still does) one of the reasons i stopped buying stuff from them years ago

THREADJACK--so read around me if you are interested in that s38

i haven't bought anything from there yet (and i know the subject is somewhat touchy WRT the board), but one of the more popular "buy a gun over the internet" auctions www.gunbroker.com has instituted a stupid "15 minute rule" that i haven't seen anywhere else. was going to purchase a eastern bloc handgun as a present for someone there, but they have this stupid rule that says that the bidding must stop for at least 15 minutes before a winning bid is declared--to prevent last second sniping, and to even the playing field between people with high speed internet and dialup. anyone else seen something like this? nobody would continue to buy broken car crap off of ebay if they tried to do something like that.

winfred
03-31-2006, 11:39 AM
my best snipe was in 2 seconds by a nickel, it's not hard with a good connection and a watch with a second hand

US $2,580.00
I swear tis jumped to this in the last 5 seconds!
talk about adreneline, this guy didnt bid at all til the last second....thats even cutting it closer than I do. He has it down!

winfred
03-31-2006, 11:45 AM
yea but theres still enough douche bags that bust their ass to stay on top of a item all week fending off all comers only to get popped by me if they haven't driven the price up too high, it's cool if you can land your bid in late enough you can sometimes beat the proxy bid of someone else

Why is that stupid? Sounds reasonable. What's stupid is that eBay encourages sniping and use of auto-sniping tools like Bidnip. These change an auction from what it's supposed to be -- a system where the highest bidder wins -- to a system where the luckiest bidder wins. This is especially true if multiple bidders use Bidnip and the like. Then the winner is effectively random -- unless bidders go back to setting a reasonable top bid, at which point it turns back to a true auction where the highest bidder wins.

ryan roopnarine
03-31-2006, 11:56 AM
as much as i don't want to say it, people who are above a certain age, or do not have a certain level of technical savvy shouldn't be on ebay. i don't need 3 guesses to figure out the relative ages of two buyers who willingly engage in a bidding war on day 1 of a 7 day auction. yeah, people will still buy crap of unknown quality/reliability off of ebay when an auction drives the price to higher than retail (sarcasm). once observed a long, driven out bidding war where somebody paid $50 over FCP groton's buy it now price for the complete set of Hamburg technic front end parts. perhaps if they knew how to search and seen the 6 million buy it now listings FCP had put up for complete FE parts sets.....

Blitzkrieg Bob
03-31-2006, 01:17 PM
We used to play between markets and exchanges.

Stock, currency, commodities, Etc.

Watch a group of markets/exchanges and find one market/exchange that is trading something at lower price, then find another market/exchange trading the same thing at the highest price, do a simultaneous buy on the low side and a sell on the high side and keep the spread/difference. You gotta be quick, because the markets and exchanges move to fill these inequities.

Paul in NZ
03-31-2006, 03:34 PM
what did it go for and is there any difference between the e24 s38 and e 34 s 38,i thought the later s 38 was more powerful again.?

angrypancake
03-31-2006, 03:35 PM
went for $2580....

zhandax
03-31-2006, 06:16 PM
i don't need 3 guesses to figure out the relative ages of two buyers who willingly engage in a bidding war on day 1 of a 7 day auction. 'Clueless' does not always go away with age.

Derek A.
03-31-2006, 06:26 PM
There is a very simple rule on ebay - bid it up to what you are willing to pay for it - and if you get outbid. So be it. I use a snipe program and usually don't loose. Part of it is the auction timing - the other is getting the amount right. I miss a lot of stuff cuz I am not home when it ends.

There is more to an M5 than just the engine. For what this sold for and what you would have to do to a 535i. Sell it and buy an M5.

winfred
03-31-2006, 09:08 PM
There is a very simple rule on ebay - bid it up to what you are willing to pay for it - and if you get outbid. So be it.

yea but if you play the game right you save some bucks

There is more to an M5 than just the engine. For what this sold for and what you would have to do to a 535i. Sell it and buy an M5.

if id gotten it my e30 would of been it's resting place, don't know/care what other people would of used it for :D