PDA

View Full Version : {0}::{0} is this real oops OT

632 Regal
03-30-2006, 09:39 PM
To: GROUP
Sent: Tuesday, March 28, 2006 8:56 AM
Subject: Gasoline prices are rising again because of Congress's energy policy mistakes

The Wall Street Journal

The Gasoline Follies
March 28, 2006; Page A20

Gasoline prices are rising again, and this time Iraq or hurricanes aren't to blame. Congress's energy policy mistakes are finally catching up with it, and American drivers are paying for the bungles.

The average U.S. retail pump price for gasoline has been hovering around $2.50 a gallon the past few weeks; prices are now at their highest since last October -- or back when the country was dealing with Katrina. The federal Energy Information Administration (EIA) has warned this may only be the beginning, and parts of the country could see pump prices well over $3 a gallon going into summer. Happy Memorial Day.

Drivers can send their thank-you notes to Capitol Hill, which created the conditions for this mess last summer with its latest energy bill. That legislation contained a sop to Midwest corn farmers in the form of a huge new ethanol mandate that began this year and requires drivers to consume 7.5 billion gallons a year by 2012. At the same time, Congress refused to include liability protection for producers of MTBE, a rival oxygen fuel-additive that has become a tort lawyer target. So MTBE makers are pulling out, ethanol makers can't make up the difference quickly enough, and gas supplies are getting squeezed.

It didn't take an economics degree to see this coming. The MTBE industry's defense in the many lawsuits claiming its product has contaminated water supplies is that since 1990 the government has required use of oxygenates like MTBE. But with that requirement expiring in May, producers and refiners will face far greater liability, which has set off a race to exit the market. Valero, one of the largest manufacturers, has already announced plans to phase out production. Even the pipeline operators that carry MTBE to high-use areas in the Northeast are backing away.

This abrupt cut-off of a product that makes up some 1.4% of the nation's fuel supply -- and far greater percentages in some places -- is certain to wreak price havoc. According to a February EIA report, ethanol production is already running near its capacity of 283,000 barrels a day. Yet "about 130,000 barrels per day of additional ethanol may be needed to replace the MTBE currently used" in gas.

Even Bob Dinneen, head of the Renewable Fuels Association and promoter-in-chief of all things ethanol, is admitting his industry can't make up the shortfall. "We're adding as much [production capacity] as we can, as fast as we can. But I don't think anybody anticipated refiners would be hemorrhaging MTBE as quickly as they are," he said recently. We're not sure what corn farm Mr. Dinneen has been living on, but MTBE producers have been warning Congress for years that this is precisely what would happen if it failed to offer the industry legal protection.

The bigger question is whether all this newly mandated ethanol -- the subsidized profits of which are funneled to Midwest farmers and agribusiness giants like ADM -- will even make it to its destinations. Unlike MTBE, ethanol can't be shipped ready-made through pipes. Instead it must be trucked or carried by rail from the Midwest to terminals near its ultimate selling point, where it then must be blended with a special unfinished fuel that is shipped separately through pipelines.

This is creating a logistical nightmare, forcing refiners to add blending facilities at their terminals, convert tanks to hold ethanol, and switch over retail outlets. To give a sense of this experiment, consider that only about one-third of all reformulated gas used on the East Coast is currently blended at terminals; the rest is produced or delivered as finished product. That now must change, in a matter of months, and at a time when refiners face a blizzard of separate new regulations. An ultra-low sulfur diesel program begins June 1, another gift horse from Congress.

Imports could help, though the domestic ethanol industry has made sure those also come at a dear price. Ethanol imports are subject to a 2.5% tariff and a second duty of 54 cents a gallon. This is particularly unfortunate for Texas or East Coast residents, who'd benefit greatly if they could get their ethanol (duty free) from local ports rather than pay to have it trucked across the country.

But such economic sense would defeat the purpose of a law designed not to reduce gas prices but instead to underwrite a politically powerful ethanol industry that can't survive without giant government handouts, protectionism and the brute force of mandates. The only bright spot is that perhaps the current travails will put to rest calls that America emulate Brazil -- which sunk billions of state money into a giant ethanol infrastructure so that it could become "energy independent."

As it is, the U.S. already produces more ethanol than Brazil, and even today's four-million-gallon requirement is clearly straining the industry. Increasing ethanol use much beyond the 2012 mandate is going to require that entire states be planted with corn and sugar, or a scientific breakthrough involving biomass and grass. Meantime, prepare to pay more for gas.

This ethanol-MTBE fiasco is just the latest example of what happens when Congress holds energy markets hostage to narrow special interests. If Republicans on Capitol Hill wonder why their approval ratings stay low as gasoline prices rise this spring and summer, we suggest they look in the mirror.

GJPinAU
03-30-2006, 10:43 PM
This is total BS.
The real reason for this is because there is a banana shortage in Oz caused by all our cyclones. ;)
Hey, your guys blamed Katrina!:D

rob101
03-30-2006, 10:47 PM
$2.50 a gallon
have a cry. life's so hard when you have the cheapest petrol on earth

Kalevera
03-30-2006, 10:57 PM
Sure, the gas might be "cheaper" over here, but I'll assert that it's a lot more expensive to live in the states than in other places.

When I lived in Australia (1999), a million dollars bought you an island and people carting in your daily necessities.

Where I live, a million dollars buys you a nice house in a nice neighborhood, but no island.

People here have longer commutes. My ~ 50 miles a day is less than average. Still, I spend a significant portion of my income on gas. When gas prices go up, the majority of Americans are forced to devote more income to it and cut other necessities. At the end of August/beginning of September, 2005, people here were choosing between buying gas or food.

So, put it in perspective.

best, whit

rob101
03-31-2006, 05:24 AM
put in what perspective, americans get paid more in comparison to here i'd say its at least equal, but it'd be nice for someone who lives in both countries to say. I think that you'd find if you lived in australia earning an australian wage...... you'd be hard pressed to find it cheaper. Australians are also some of the most highly taxed people on the planet....... this is probably the main reason why our petrol costs so much, and not to mention that diesel costs as much as high octane unleaded.

I am just sick of people whinging about the cost of fuel. its a fact of life now. I am also sick of people saying oh i can't afford to run my 2.5 tonne 4wd the world is ending.... no its not ending you just have hit reality in the form of you running a car that is suited to off roading in the city... do you people complaining that their ferrari uses too much fuel when the use it to drop the kids off at school. no, because they aren't in denial that a ferrari is not for commuting around the city.

sKilled
03-31-2006, 05:34 AM
Quit whining! The average ozzy has $100 more in their pocket PER WEEK than the average kiwi cousin. Yet living costs here are higher. Not helped by a minimum income tax of 19% (I pay 37% because I get a pittance from the MAN as a student. Lovely)

rob101
03-31-2006, 05:38 AM
Quit whining! The average ozzy has $100 more in their pocket PER WEEK than the average kiwi cousin. Yet living costs here are higher. Not helped by a minimum income tax of 19% (I pay 37% because I get a pittance from the MAN as a student. Lovely)
hehe tis true, but then again kiwis don't get cheap fuel either but i am not whinging about the cost of fuel am I? besides there is always room for one more kiwi over here;)

sKilled
03-31-2006, 05:45 AM
Once I get my degree, I'm going to where I earn enough for fuel, and the Lemfoerder spares are cheap (i.e. I'm getting the hell out of Dodge). Playing with the idea of Melbourne (mate of mine had a payraise of about 10k p.a. just because his company sent him from Auckland to Melbourne). Seriously considering going back to Europe though - probably Italy. Hmmmmm pizza.

sKilled
03-31-2006, 05:49 AM
Oh yeah, btw, someone here in NZ has some money. Current bid on the Optus B1 is at $200,006,000.00 (NZD). check it out (and prepare to laugh) (http://www.trademe.co.nz/browse/0124-0060-0672-/auction-52360702.htm)

rob101
03-31-2006, 06:01 AM
Oh yeah, btw, someone here in NZ has some money. Current bid on the Optus B1 is at $200,006,000.00 (NZD). check it out (and prepare to laugh) (http://www.trademe.co.nz/browse/0124-0060-0672-/auction-52360702.htm)
probably some bald kiwi dude with a scar in an executive chair stroking a white cat...... "I will permanently cut off your communications unless you pay me ONE BILLION DOLLARS" ~sticks pinkie in mouth~

Jobi
03-31-2006, 06:43 AM
In France, gas is approx 1.4 US$...per liter!!!which makes approx 5.3 US$ per gallon!!

And I've been to the US several times (California and Massachussets)...and what I can say is life is really cheaper in the US than it is in France... I don't know about how much is a house in the US, but except that, it's really cheaper...I won't talk about how much people earn because in France we have decent social services.
But the price of the gas is just sooooo expensive overhere... :( We should go on strike for that!! lol At least it would be a better reason than the ones used for all the other strikes frenchies tend do love... :(

Alexlind123
03-31-2006, 08:45 AM
Perhaps its because of these so many "social services" that your economy is not nearly so healthy. When people get a free ride through life (albeit not a very good one) they arent encouraged to go out and start new businesses or invest in things, both of which contribute greatly to a healthy economy.

Take a closer look at us if you want to have an economy like us. ;)

Jobi
03-31-2006, 10:12 AM
Alex: are u kidding about our economy and our will to have the same economy you have? Take a look at the figures related to french economy and you'll see that private business is going very very well in France...even killed by taxes. The major problem in France is far too many public "companies" (aka "national companies"). You can't imagine how all the advantages offered to their employees are killing the national debt. But when talking about import or sales, the benefits made by french company are really comparable to US ones.
Actually, the thing I don't like in France is that you feel that all those administration things are just trying to kill you when it comes to create a new business...

Evan
03-31-2006, 11:01 AM
I read somewhere that the mean human IQ is 103.

Jobi
03-31-2006, 11:19 AM

I guess this is a worlwide figure! lol Cause nevermind where you live, you always thinks you live with tons of idiots.

Evan
03-31-2006, 11:35 AM
I sit around daydreaming about a modern revolution like the one in 1793. It's wonderful.

angrypancake
03-31-2006, 12:32 PM
let them eat cake.

632 Regal
03-31-2006, 05:18 PM
>>> My Fellow Americans:
>>> As you all know, the defeat of Iraq regime has been completed.
>>>
>>> Since congress does not want to spend any more money on this war, our
>>> mission in Iraq is complete.
>>>
>>> This morning I gave the order for a complete removal of all American
>>> forces
>>> from Iraq. This action will be complete within 30 days. It is now to
>>> begin
>>> the reckoning.
>>>
>>> Before me, I have two lists. One list contains the names of countries
>>> which
>>> have stood by our side during the Iraq conflict. This list is short. The
>>> United Kingdom, Spain, Bulgaria, Australia , and Poland are some of the
>>> countries listed there.
>>>
>>> The other list contains everyone not on the first list. Most of the
>>> world's
>>> nations are on that list. My press secretary will be distributing copies
>>> of
>>> both lists later this evening.
>>>
>>> Let me start by saying that effective immediately, foreign aid to those
>>> nations on List 2 ceases immediately and indefinitely. The money saved
>>> during the first year alone will pretty much pay for the costs of the
>>> Iraqi
>>> war.
>>>
>>> The American people are no longer going to pour money into third world
>>> Hell-holes and watch those government leaders grow fat on corruption.
>>>
>>> Need help with a famine? Wrestling with an epidemic? Call France.
>>>
>>> In the future , together with Congress, I will work to redirect this
>>> money
>>> toward solving the vexing social problems we still have at home. On that
>>> note, a word to terrorist organizations. Screw with us and we will hunt
>>> you
>>> down and eliminate you and all your friends from the face of the earth.
>>>
>>> Thirsting for a gutsy country to terrorize? Try France, or maybe China.
>>>
>>> I am ordering the immediate severing of diplomatic relations with
>>> France,
>>> Germany, and Russia. Thanks for all your help, comrades. We are retiring
>>> from NATO as well. Bon chance, mes amis.
>>>
>>> I have instructed the Mayor of New York City to begin towing the many UN
>>> diplomatic vehicles located in Manhattan with more than two unpaid
>>> parking
>>> tickets to sites where those vehicles will be stripped, shredded and
>>> crushed. I don't care about whatever treaty pertains to this. You creeps
>>> have tens of thousands of unpaid tickets. Pay those tickets tomorrow or
>>> watch your precious Benzes, Beamers and limos be turned over to some of
>>> the
>>> finest chop shops in the world. I love New York
>>>
>>> A special note to our neighbors. Canada is on List 2 Since we are likely
>>> to
>>> be seeing a lot more of each other, you folks might want to try not
>>> pissing
>>> us off for a change.
>>>
>>> Mexico is also on List 2. President Fox and his entire corrupt
>>> government
>>> really need an attitude adjustment. I will have a couple extra tank and
>>> infantry divisions sitting around. Guess where I am going to put em?
>>> Yep,
>>> border security. So start doing something with your oil.
>>>
>>> Oh, by the way, the United States is abrogating the NAFTA treaty -
>>> starting
>>> now.
>>>
>>> We are tired of the one-way highway. Immediately, we'll be drilling for
>>> oil
>>> in Alaska - which will take care of this country's oil needs for decades
>>> to
>>> come. If you're an environmentalist who opposes this decision, I refer
>>> you
>>> to List 2 above: pick a country and move there. They care.
>>>
>>> It is time for America to focus on its own welfare and its own citizens.
>>> Some will accuse us of isolationism. I answer them by saying, "darn
>>> tootin."
>>>
>>> Nearly a century of trying to help folks live a decent life around the
>>> world
>>> has only earned us the undying enmity of just about everyone on the
>>> planet.
>>> It is time to eliminate hunger in America. It is time to eliminate
>>> homelessness in America. It is time to eliminate World Cup Soccer from
>>> America. To the nations on List 1, a final thought. Thanks guys. We owe
>>> you
>>> and we won't forget. To the nations on List 2, a final thought: You
>>> might
>>> want to learn to speak Arabic. God bless America. Thank you and good
>>> night.
>>> If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you are reading it in English,
>>> thank a soldier.

Lennyz525i
03-31-2006, 05:44 PM
Actually, the thing I don't like in France is that you feel that all those administration things are just trying to kill you when it comes to create a new business...

I travel to western europe a lot and I couldn't agree more. I'm even suprised they're doing quite well considering all bureaucracy you have to deal with starting and running a business. France is probably the worst of all western european nations when it comes to rules, regulations etc.

I don't have a problem with France at all, but I think Chirac sucks giant blue whale d*ck...

Cactuar
03-31-2006, 05:44 PM
rofl nice one regal

Robin-535im
03-31-2006, 05:47 PM
It should be 100 by definition. Intelligence "Quotient"

dacoyote
03-31-2006, 08:20 PM
>>> My Fellow Americans:
>>> As you all know, the defeat of Iraq regime has been completed.
>>>
>>> Since congress does not want to spend any more money on this war, our
>>> mission in Iraq is complete.
>>>
>>> This morning I gave the order for a complete removal of all American
>>> forces
>>> from Iraq. This action will be complete within 30 days. It is now to
>>> begin
>>> the reckoning.
>>>
>>> Before me, I have two lists. One list contains the names of countries
>>> which
>>> have stood by our side during the Iraq conflict. This list is short. The
>>> United Kingdom, Spain, Bulgaria, Australia , and Poland are some of the
>>> countries listed there.
>>>
>>> The other list contains everyone not on the first list. Most of the
>>> world's
>>> nations are on that list. My press secretary will be distributing copies
>>> of
>>> both lists later this evening.
>>>
>>> Let me start by saying that effective immediately, foreign aid to those
>>> nations on List 2 ceases immediately and indefinitely. The money saved
>>> during the first year alone will pretty much pay for the costs of the
>>> Iraqi
>>> war.
>>>
>>> The American people are no longer going to pour money into third world
>>> Hell-holes and watch those government leaders grow fat on corruption.
>>>
>>> Need help with a famine? Wrestling with an epidemic? Call France.
>>>
>>> In the future , together with Congress, I will work to redirect this
>>> money
>>> toward solving the vexing social problems we still have at home. On that
>>> note, a word to terrorist organizations. Screw with us and we will hunt
>>> you
>>> down and eliminate you and all your friends from the face of the earth.
>>>
>>> Thirsting for a gutsy country to terrorize? Try France, or maybe China.
>>>
>>> I am ordering the immediate severing of diplomatic relations with
>>> France,
>>> Germany, and Russia. Thanks for all your help, comrades. We are retiring
>>> from NATO as well. Bon chance, mes amis.
>>>
>>> I have instructed the Mayor of New York City to begin towing the many UN
>>> diplomatic vehicles located in Manhattan with more than two unpaid
>>> parking
>>> tickets to sites where those vehicles will be stripped, shredded and
>>> crushed. I don't care about whatever treaty pertains to this. You creeps
>>> have tens of thousands of unpaid tickets. Pay those tickets tomorrow or
>>> watch your precious Benzes, Beamers and limos be turned over to some of
>>> the
>>> finest chop shops in the world. I love New York
>>>
>>> A special note to our neighbors. Canada is on List 2 Since we are likely
>>> to
>>> be seeing a lot more of each other, you folks might want to try not
>>> pissing
>>> us off for a change.
>>>
>>> Mexico is also on List 2. President Fox and his entire corrupt
>>> government
>>> really need an attitude adjustment. I will have a couple extra tank and
>>> infantry divisions sitting around. Guess where I am going to put em?
>>> Yep,
>>> border security. So start doing something with your oil.
>>>
>>> Oh, by the way, the United States is abrogating the NAFTA treaty -
>>> starting
>>> now.
>>>
>>> We are tired of the one-way highway. Immediately, we'll be drilling for
>>> oil
>>> in Alaska - which will take care of this country's oil needs for decades
>>> to
>>> come. If you're an environmentalist who opposes this decision, I refer
>>> you
>>> to List 2 above: pick a country and move there. They care.
>>>
>>> It is time for America to focus on its own welfare and its own citizens.
>>> Some will accuse us of isolationism. I answer them by saying, "darn
>>> tootin."
>>>
>>> Nearly a century of trying to help folks live a decent life around the
>>> world
>>> has only earned us the undying enmity of just about everyone on the
>>> planet.
>>> It is time to eliminate hunger in America. It is time to eliminate
>>> homelessness in America. It is time to eliminate World Cup Soccer from
>>> America. To the nations on List 1, a final thought. Thanks guys. We owe
>>> you
>>> and we won't forget. To the nations on List 2, a final thought: You