PDA

View Full Version : Starting the M50 for the first time

fujioko
03-30-2006, 09:08 PM
Perhaps this is a stupid question, but with all the resources and experience in this forum.. maybe I’ll learn something new.

Anyway the M50 engine is completely installed in my e34. I’ll need to fill the radiator and change the oil prior to starting.

I believe this “new” engine has been sitting for several years. I pumped a little oil in the cylinders when the engine arrived and spun it over. Seemed fine.

Anyway, after I change the oil and replace the filter cartridge…. Should I fill the cartridge chamber with oil? I'm not even sure if that is possable, as I never opened the chamber yet.

This car is a new addition to my BMW stable and I never worked on a M50 engine before. All my other Bimmers had M10 engines.

Other than bleeding the cooling system, any other advice for a first time start up?

I'll be out of town the next few days.. however as soon as I get home again Its "show time"!!!!

Thanks

Jon K
03-30-2006, 11:02 PM
Nothing to it - first time start up will prob blow a bunch of blue smoke out the ass since you dropped oil in it from teh top it sounds like. Pull the fuel pump relay or fuse if you want to crank the car and get the oil pressure up - obviously it won't start until the fuel pump relay/fuse is back in. This isn't really necessary at all, but if you want to get oil into the oil filter housing a few cranks should do it.

Other than that there's not much to it - crank the bitch over. The M50 is a hell of a reliable engine. I swapped mine over to standalone ECU and had my crank pulse widths WAY off for cranking the car w/ fuel injection and she STILL fired right up. Turn it over, let it come up to temp, and take it for a spin.