PDA

View Full Version : Replacing coolant drain plug with petcock?

Jim E
03-30-2006, 11:36 AM
It's time for a coolant change, and I'm not looking forward to the mess created when draining the coolant from the block. I want to replace the M12 block drain plug with a petcock. The last time I was at the junkyard, I got an extra petcock from a Volvo redblock engine, hoping it might fit. But it is a tapered pipe thread, about 16mm diameter. So that won't work. Anyone know of a way to retrofit a petcock on the M30 engine? Maybe I'll have to fabricate one from another bolt. Also, what is the thread pitch on the stock plug?

Evan
03-30-2006, 12:43 PM
Batten down the hatches. 632 Regal and AngryPancake are about to have a field day with your petcock.

Rustam
03-30-2006, 12:48 PM
It's time for a coolant change, and I'm not looking forward to the mess created when draining the coolant from the block. I want to replace the M12 block drain plug with a petcock. The last time I was at the junkyard, I got an extra petcock from a Volvo redblock engine, hoping it might fit. But it is a tapered pipe thread, about 16mm diameter. So that won't work. Anyone know of a way to retrofit a petcock on the M30 engine? Maybe I'll have to fabricate one from another bolt. Also, what is the thread pitch on the stock plug?

why watse time and effort fabricating something that is used once in couple of years? this does not make sense to me...

dacoyote
03-30-2006, 01:03 PM
I like my petCock...I like it even more when girl's are playing with it...

ArtemLepilov
03-30-2006, 01:16 PM
i bet gayle doesnt have one :p

-Artem

dacoyote
03-30-2006, 01:43 PM
i bet gayle doesnt have one :p

-Artem

I disagree... she is married after all...

DanDombrowski
03-30-2006, 01:55 PM
Oh man, I rolled my eyes at the obvious play on words, but this one is even worse!

I sure hope it gets used more than once every couple of years!

JonE
03-30-2006, 01:58 PM
Ever heard of pet rocks? Sounds like a match made in heaven...

dacoyote
03-30-2006, 03:41 PM
Ever heard of pet rocks? Sounds like a match made in heaven...

I still think petCocks and petBalls are better

JD525IA
03-30-2006, 04:03 PM
we will not have any obscene discussion about such matters.

Take those potty-mouth typing hands and wash them out with soap!!

Evan
03-30-2006, 04:41 PM
rustam only uses his cock once a year

dacoyote
03-30-2006, 05:17 PM
we will not have any obscene discussion about such matters.

Take those potty-mouth typing hands and wash them out with soap!!

Obscene?

Dear sir get your mind out of the gutter, we are talking about car parts....

Rustam
03-30-2006, 07:51 PM
rustam only uses his cock once a year

by your meaning of "use" i don't use it at all...

Rustam
03-30-2006, 07:53 PM
Oh man, I rolled my eyes at the obvious play on words, but this one is even worse!

I sure hope it gets used more than once every couple of years!

play of what words? the guy is obviously talking about draining the coolant - "fabricating from the bolt" came along as well... maybe its time for you to consider using your petcock if you get salacious ideas in your head...

Rustam
03-30-2006, 07:59 PM

welcome to the forum new comer - as you can see its not this place is not technical enough to be deviod of idiocy - enjoy yourself...

angrypancake
03-30-2006, 08:35 PM
Batten down the hatches. 632 Regal and AngryPancake are about to have a field day with your petcock.

how could you leave out dacoyote?

for the record, what is a petcock, and what does it do, in terms of cars?

welcome to the forum new comer - as you can see its not this place is not technical enough to be deviod of idiocy - enjoy yourself...

if there was no idiocy this place would suck major petballs.

Jim E
03-30-2006, 11:43 PM
Thanks for all the 'humorus' replies. Anyone have anything constructive to offer?

angrypancake
03-30-2006, 11:50 PM
my question still stands... what does it do? sorry i cant be of help... once i find out what it does ill start looking stuff up

Jimbo
03-31-2006, 02:47 AM
my question still stands... what does it do? sorry i cant be of help... once i find out what it does ill start looking stuff up

It's basically a valve that would allow you to drain the coolant without unscrewing the plug itself.

I don't know what it would take to make this modification work, but as other board members have pointed out, I do have to question the practicality of going to the trouble of this fabrication for something that would only be used every 2 years or so.

joshua43214
03-31-2006, 11:00 AM
Only thing I could think of would be to get a fresh drain plug, drill a hole in it and install a universal radiator petcock in it. Its possible you can get a predrilled plug or even one with a petcock included from a plumbing supply house, but with a metric thread not likely in the USA.

If you could find a drain cock similar to the volvo that would be knda cool, I always loved how you can hook a hose up to volvos and drain the block and not get a drop of coolant on the floor.