PDA

View Full Version : 89 535 Power Steering Question

89535i
03-30-2006, 10:18 AM
Hey,

I had a wining noise coming from the power steering pump. Then I had the pump replaced, and it wines more! I took the cap off the fluid resoviour and the fluid looked bubbly/airy. The unit is leaking, but I cann't determine where. I believe one of the hoses has a crack in it. Has anyone else encountoured this problem? If so, how much are new hoses for the power steering, I counted 3 hoses, and they all look pretty expensive.

Martin in Bellevue
03-30-2006, 10:34 AM
You could order the rebuild kit from BMA. The internal seals wear out. If replacing the hoses, check with a local shop that can refit new hose to your existing ends. It may be cheaper than new bmw hoses.

Beemr750
03-30-2006, 10:59 AM
Very much on the suction side but should have stains showing.Does it affect the overall operation?

Kalevera
03-30-2006, 11:01 AM
Pull the reservoir and clean it.

Strawberry milkshake is a sign that there's air in the system (typical after an immediate fill -- do a search, I've written on how to bleed the P/S system a few times).

Leaks are typical -- check crush washers at the banjo bolts and crimp clamps at the reservoir fittings (latter can be replaced with good quality hose clamps for a better seal).

If the replacement pump was new or a rebuild by a quality shop, the chattering is likely due to fluid starvation (hence my suggestion to clean the reservoir/filter). But be sure that it's properly bled, first.

best, whit

Beemr750
03-30-2006, 11:22 AM
Just remember of another tip to look at.The pressure hose has halfway a orifice or restriction build in,some times this causes whining noises like it's coming from the pump.In the early days this was common esp on M/Bs.Wiggle on the hose and see if the noise changes.

89535i
03-30-2006, 03:24 PM
Very much on the suction side but should have stains showing.Does it affect the overall operation?

The actually easier to turn the steering wheel. Thats the only effect i notice.

89535i
03-31-2006, 11:55 AM
Pull the reservoir and clean it.

Strawberry milkshake is a sign that there's air in the system (typical after an immediate fill -- do a search, I've written on how to bleed the P/S system a few times).

Leaks are typical -- check crush washers at the banjo bolts and crimp clamps at the reservoir fittings (latter can be replaced with good quality hose clamps for a better seal).

If the replacement pump was new or a rebuild by a quality shop, the chattering is likely due to fluid starvation (hence my suggestion to clean the reservoir/filter). But be sure that it's properly bled, first.

best, whit

Thank you, the fluid does look like "strawberry milkshake". I will try this weekend. It only makes noise when you turn the wheel. On idle is a very quite whine, but it whines nontheless.