PDA

View Full Version : <::> Looking for a used diff for '90 535

Anthony (M5 in Calgary)
03-29-2006, 05:03 PM
I'm looking for a good used diffy for a '90 535 for 5 speed application. The original unit is howling like a banshee.

This is just a fix-up for sale question, so no real concern about limited slip or open. Besides, I don't know for sure if it has LS.

Located in Calgary AB Canada.

Anybody?

632 Regal
03-29-2006, 05:33 PM
what gear ratio?

Anthony (M5 in Calgary)
03-30-2006, 08:54 AM
what gear ratio?

Don't know - whatever was stock in 09/89, prolly mid 3s though. Temptation is to dismantle a la your expert repair - bearing maybe.

talltorontoguy
03-30-2006, 02:52 PM
Anthony, I believe I have one and can ship to you. I'll look.

Jay 535i
03-30-2006, 04:10 PM
I'll have one by the end of May, if you can wait that long.

There was a 3.91 LSD on ebay a couple of weeks ago that went for just over $100. You could keep your eyes open there.

You fellow Canucks gonna make it to Chicago in June? I guess Calgary's a little far, but Rod? I'm goin' :)

Anthony (M5 in Calgary)
03-30-2006, 05:14 PM
Anthony, I believe I have one and can ship to you. I'll look.

Thanks. Is it quiet? Let me know what ratio.

Anthony (M5 in Calgary)
03-30-2006, 05:20 PM
I'll have one by the end of May, if you can wait that long.

There was a 3.91 LSD on ebay a couple of weeks ago that went for just over $100. You could keep your eyes open there.

You fellow Canucks gonna make it to Chicago in June? I guess Calgary's a little far, but Rod? I'm goin' :)

I'm assuming you mean the diff from your automatic car? If so, the ratio will probably be too tall for a 5 speed car.

3.91 would be too short - that's what the M5 has. M30 wouldn't want to spin that high.

Jay 535i
03-31-2006, 12:11 PM
I'm assuming you mean the diff from your automatic car? If so, the ratio will probably be too tall for a 5 speed car.

3.91 would be too short - that's what the M5 has. M30 wouldn't want to spin that high.

A few things, with the proviso that I'm no expert, so take this FWIW:

1. The diff I'm currently using with the auto tranny is a 3.91 LSD, and I will probably use it with the manual tranny. M30 + Manual + 3.91 should be okay -- ideal, in fact, according to a lot of info I've read on the 'net and heard elsewhere.

2. The diff I'd send you would probably come from the manual car, so we know that works in a 5-speeder cuz that's where it came from.

I haven't decided yet which diff I'm going to use, but either one of the two I have should work in your car just fine. But you can't have the diff until I decide which I'm going to use, which will be in May.

Make sense?

Anthony (M5 in Calgary)
04-01-2006, 12:17 PM
A few things, with the proviso that I'm no expert, so take this FWIW:

1. The diff I'm currently using with the auto tranny is a 3.91 LSD, and I will probably use it with the manual tranny. M30 + Manual + 3.91 should be okay -- ideal, in fact, according to a lot of info I've read on the 'net and heard elsewhere.

2. The diff I'd send you would probably come from the manual car, so we know that works in a 5-speeder cuz that's where it came from.

I haven't decided yet which diff I'm going to use, but either one of the two I have should work in your car just fine. But you can't have the diff until I decide which I'm going to use, which will be in May.

Make sense?

Thanks Jay,

According to Bill R's post (#10@link) a manual 535 should have 3.46:

http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t=7481&highlight=diff+ratio+chart

Is the diff from the 5 speed car LS?

I'll have the 535 back in my garage tomorrow and will 2x check the tag to see if it's 3.46. If I can't find the same ratio the car has I'll consider a 3.91.

Cheers!

PS: I put the <::> in the title for a lark, not to try for more attention:D :D

Jay 535i
04-01-2006, 12:51 PM
AFAIK, I currently have a 3.91 LSD. The diff from the manual car is open, I think. I don't know the ratio. I can't be sure of any of this until I actually check the tags on the diffs, which will be in a couple of weeks.

I'm pretty sure that both diffs would work for either of us, so you can have whichever one I choose not to use. But it will take me another couple of weeks to confirm all this.

Kalevera
04-01-2006, 01:07 PM
3.91 in a 5 speed 535 is a "performance rear end," according to my boss.

best, whit

Anthony (M5 in Calgary)
04-01-2006, 02:09 PM
3.91 in a 5 speed 535 is a "performance rear end," according to my boss.

best, whit

Any effect on speedo? Do they all have the same chopper wheel? Standard ratio has pretty good pull already, maybe 3.91 would be a hit for sale purposes.

Jay 535i
04-02-2006, 11:23 AM
3.91 is what I'm shooting for with my manual swap. I've done a little research on the internet and other people who've done that seem very happy with the results. More than one 'expert' suggested that 3.91 was the ideal ratio.