PDA

View Full Version : I bought a brand new "Bimmer." Well...

Warren N.CA
03-29-2006, 12:27 AM
not EXACTLY a Bimmer, but a new car, a 2006 Subaru Imprezza WRX manual tranny "sport wagon." Black with tan leather and cool looking big rims and bright red calipers (BLING!) It has MoMo sport peddles, steering wheel and shift knob.

It now uses the larger 2.5 block, from the larger cars, but they derate it a bit to 230HP for marketing reasons (I guess.). No matter, the big thing about this car is the torque- just like an E39 540i manual (almost!). It's just rarin'-to-go 2500-4500. So it's very well suited to city driving, with power to pass (and generally be obnoxious) at any street speed. Although it pulls strongly to 6500, the excitement is below 5000.

Although this car is WAY faster than my '89 535i 5-speed, I still enjoy the E34. The bimmer definitely shifts smoother, but the Subie tranny really isn't bad. I just had the 535i linkage rebuilt when the drive shaft was replaced about a year ago. It's fun to drive the 535 because it needs to be revved to move out, very unlike the new WRX, where it's really hard to find enough open space to rev it, and you don't need to because of the torque.

I was going to sell the 535, but found out the KBB value is only 3500. For that amount, I'll just keep it as a beater (one of the world's coolest). It makes sense to me, to use it to offload costly miles from my new car.

No more self maintenance because I no longer have work space. Bavarian Professionals just completed Inspection II. At 205K all cylinders have the compression of a new engine. No, I don't think it makes sense to sell it.

632 Regal
03-29-2006, 08:43 AM
those things really move out on the highway, raced 3 of em so far and I think they are shocked that I can keep up as well as it does.

dacoyote
03-29-2006, 09:06 AM
I almost bought a 2005..... it was between that and a 2006 Golf TDI manual...

both where fun to drive....

Qube
03-29-2006, 09:42 AM
Is that extra Z there telling us you're really satisfied with it? :) "Imprezza"

I have an Impreza too for secondary use, though it's just a 1999 2.5RS sedan. Everytime I jump in that thing (lowered, 17", etc), I just want to get out and back to the e34. Sure it's got pep, but just doesn't have the solid feel of the bimmer.

Wyn
03-29-2006, 08:10 PM
You should join us over at nasioc.com... I spend WAY too much time in teh OT, thousands and thousands of posts....

bahnstormer
03-29-2006, 11:23 PM
cobb tuning makes a great power kit for it!
u can get them to 400 hp pretty easily