PDA

View Full Version : Bumper adjustment...

rjl
03-20-2004, 08:04 PM
I have 1995 525i and the right side of the front bumper is slightly sagging down (about 0.5 - 1 inch or 1.25 - 2.5 cm). Could I adjust the bumper? How difficult is it to adjust? Or should I just take it to the body shop. If the adjustment is not too difficult, I like to do it myself…

John 535is (Sydney)
03-21-2004, 02:16 AM
The sides of the bumper cover fit into a plastic slide.
You need to remove the whole bumper cover to inspect.
First, remove trim strips, unplug fog light wiring under drivers side headlights, unclip temp sensor and let it hang. On each side of the bumper cover in front of the wheel arch is a large plastic spring loaded lug under the trim strip. Turn about 180 deg and it should pop out about 10mm. At the front of the car should be 4 nuts (17mm from memory). Undo these and the complete bumper cover should pull forward and off the car. The alloy bar will stay connected the the car. Inspect the plastic slide where the large lugs where located in front of the wheel arch. They could be broken, or the lug may not have beed located into the slide correctly. If broken they are very cheap from dealer or aftermarket ($10-20). Part number is stamped on the slide. From memory they are held on to the panel by one 10mm bolt. be carefull when removing the bumper cover around the headlight area. The panel strip under the headlights can scratch the paint on the bumper cover .

Take your time and its an easy fix.

While you have the fog light harness disconnected, clean the plug contacts, they fill up with road grime inside the connector.

John 535is

Paul in NZ
03-21-2004, 03:17 AM
:p