PDA

View Full Version : Questions about oil and more...

GoldenOne
03-26-2006, 10:45 PM
well, I was on my way to Tallahassee to see some old friends this weekend and decided to take the scenic route off the highway. Me and my buddy stopped at a diner in this tiny town somewhere off of US27, as it goes we finish eating, gettin ready to leave I turn on the car and get an "oil level low, see owners manual" message. So I didnt want to risk anything, I asked people in the diner if they had any oil, one old guy had a box of castrol gtx 15w20 and was kind enough to give me a quart. Since I use 5w30, I was quite concerned using the oil but I had no clue where the next available store. So I topped it off (about 1/2 quart) and went on my merry way. My question is, how will this affect the engine? Its about time for my oil change so if anything it will be flushed out.

Another question I have is about the central locking, sometimes I only have to turn the key to the right once, but often I when I do it once, it unlocks, and I lock it again....Whats the cause of this or is it suppose to happen??

While I'm at it, why doesnt the trunk lock when I lock the car from the driver/passenger doors. If I lock the car from the trunk it will lock the whole car. Just wondering???

Alexlind123
03-26-2006, 11:37 PM
I think if a lock is sticking unlocked, the other locks will unlock to try to stay synced with the sticky lock. Maybe its your trunk lock thats sticky? I would check to make sure that all your actuators are working properly. Also, try a lock re-sync procedure. It seems to work wonders for some people. Do a search or find it in your owners manual.

motorman
03-27-2006, 03:56 AM
The oils will mix, most of your oil is 5w30 and that will pretty well stay the same (it's viscosity ect) change your oil at your next service and dont worry, no harm done.Cheers Mick.

sKilled
03-27-2006, 07:08 AM
Check the cable tree in the boot(trunk). I had the same problem with the central locking and found several cables had been severed. I spent the weekend fixing it (cut all cables and wired in new bits). It solved all my problems.

GoldenOne
03-27-2006, 07:10 AM
thanks! I will have to check those wires out but try a resync first.