PDA

View Full Version : Buying a 91' 325is and have questions?

Speeder 553
03-26-2006, 08:08 PM
I'm buying a 91' 325is (187,000 mi) for my son (16 years old.. God help us all) from my mech, Bavarian Mastercare, for $3,600. They sell cars too and bought this one from one of thier customers and say they have maintaned it and it's in good shape. The run a good business and I trust them but want to make sure they have throughly checked out the car so I'm giving them the following list of things to check out:

1. Check the usual items like brake pads (how much pad is left), rotors (I felt a large lip on the back of the rear rotors and they need to be replaced)
2. Leakdown/compression check
3. Lower control arms (ball joints) and lower control arm bushings
4. Radiator? Water pump?
5. Plugs (when was the last time it had a tune up)?
6. Be sure to go over the metal fuel and brake lines and inspect the rear subframe barrel bushings
7. Driveline: guibo, driveshaft, cv-halfshafts, diff
8. HVAC, heater core, etc. (when was it last serviced)?
9. Fuel pump/relays (can and will leave your son stranded on the side of the road)!
10. Filters (air, oil, interior cabin, when were they last changed)?
11. Steering rack (likely will need new one soon with that high mileage)
12. Instrument cluster (SI batteries fail causing gauge issues), odometer gears die; easily replaced, but die nonetheless?

Can you think of anything I've overlooked??

pbrennan10
03-26-2006, 08:54 PM
Make sure the power windows roll up and down smooth and quietly!

diamond777
03-26-2006, 08:58 PM
i think you are asking alot for 3600 bucks if bavarian says it has been maintained take the car and call it a day. i flew in from tucson and bought a car that was maintained by them ABSOLUTELY AWESOME good luck:) :)

Speeder 553
03-26-2006, 09:08 PM
i think you are asking alot for 3600 bucks if bavarian says it has been maintained take the car and call it a day. i flew in from tucson and bought a car that was maintained by them ABSOLUTELY AWESOME good luck:) :)

Are you referring to Bavarian Mastercare of San Marcos, CA (San Diego)??