PDA

View Full Version : Changed Intake manifold gaskets...vehicle will not run..please help.

Dway540
03-26-2006, 02:11 PM
I have a 1994 BMW 540I. I changed the Intake Manifold Gaskets,EGR valve,EGR gasket and the two fuel lines. My vehicle will start but it cuts off immediately. I did not have this problem prior to changing the parts. I replaced the fuel pump,fuel filters, and the oxygen sensors approximately nine months ago. My vehicle acts like it's out of gas but it's not. Can any of you guys help me? Thanks in advance!

Kalevera
03-26-2006, 02:26 PM
Well, there is no EGR valve or gasket on any M60.

No start issues after resealing the intake have been discussed a lot in the past.

Get a multimeter on the battery to determine if the thing is charging when the engine is running. Will it continue running if it gets a little gas?

If the gaskets are all properly seated and there are no air leaks, oil return pipe from the pcv plate is properly installed and the O rings are good, I'll suspect that an electrical harness connector wasn't reinstalled correctly -- I've done it myself.

best, whit

632 Regal
03-26-2006, 07:59 PM
id guess the connections are fubarred or you messed up with the oil drain back vacumm tube under the intake. Id bet on the electrical section.

Go over it close, the injector plugins and the coil packs. You did disconnect the battery cable right? maybe you cracked the fusable link?

Something stupid is wrong, you'll figure it out, and post if you did or didnt.

Good luck.

Dway540
03-26-2006, 08:58 PM
The EGR valve is another name for PCV plate. I replaced the PCV plate and the Pcv gasket. My car was running fine prior to changing the manifold gaskets, but the check engine light would come on occasionally about once a week. My battery is approximately six months old and it is charging properly. The Oil pipe is connected properly to Pcv plate with a new O-ring. I disconnected battery prior to removing the engine cover. I labeled the electrical wires prior to removing them and reconnected them exactly like they were. I can keep my car running for approximately one minute by pressing on the accelerator a lightly. As soon as I take my foot off the accelerator the engine cuts off immediately. I noticed two of the fuel injectors are missing the o-rings and the plastic tips on the bottom of them. Could this be my problem?

MBXB
03-27-2006, 01:24 AM
Missing O-Rings!!??
Start with the injectors. That could be the problem.
I'd pull all 8 of them and send them to:

http://www.witchhunter.com/

They do great work.

The EGR valve is another name for PCV plate. I replaced the PCV plate and the Pcv gasket. My car was running fine prior to changing the manifold gaskets, but the check engine light would come on occasionally about once a week. My battery is approximately six months old and it is charging properly. The Oil pipe is connected properly to Pcv plate with a new O-ring. I disconnected battery prior to removing the engine cover. I labeled the electrical wires prior to removing them and reconnected them exactly like they were. I can keep my car running for approximately one minute by pressing on the accelerator a lightly. As soon as I take my foot off the accelerator the engine cuts off immediately. I noticed two of the fuel injectors are missing the o-rings and the plastic tips on the bottom of them. Could this be my problem?

632 Regal
03-27-2006, 09:21 AM
missing O rings???

also there are 2 plugs one for the AFM and the other for who knows what but they can be plugged into each other. Maybe you swapped them?

O rings huh?

SRR2
03-27-2006, 09:26 AM
The EGR valve is another name for PCV plate.

No it's not.

Dway540
03-27-2006, 03:24 PM
The part number for the EGR valve; Rear cover with Non-Return Valve is 11 617 501 562. It is the same as the original part that I removed. I do not know whether it is a Pcv plate or an EGR valve or a rear manifold cover. I plan get new o-rings for fuel injectors and get them cleaned. I know that all the electrical wires are installed properly because I labeled them prior to disconnecting them. I really appreciate all the info that I've received. I will keep you guys posted.

632 Regal
03-27-2006, 03:28 PM
just get new injectors from http://www.fiveomotorsport.com/Injector_Sets.asp
they also come with new o-rings

MBXB
03-27-2006, 04:12 PM
Injector BEFORE refurb:

http://img71.imageshack.us/img71/8905/injectorbefore4xr.th.jpg (http://img71.imageshack.us/my.php?image=injectorbefore4xr.jpg)

Injector AFTER refurb:
Cleaned, tested and calibrated to within 1%, new O rings and caps

http://img149.imageshack.us/img149/7281/refurbinjector5ki.th.jpg (http://img149.imageshack.us/my.php?image=refurbinjector5ki.jpg)

just get new injectors from http://www.fiveomotorsport.com/Injector_Sets.asp
they also come with new o-rings

Dway540
03-27-2006, 08:40 PM
Thanks Regal for the website! I ordered 8 new fuel injectors from Five O Fuel Injectors and paid $45.00 for the next day delivery . Hopefully this will resolve my starting issues.

632 Regal
03-27-2006, 09:03 PM
Derek had his checked and cleaned, great job except he had more problems, ate the cleaning charge and then had to order new ones...

Something like that.

SRR2
03-27-2006, 09:38 PM
Where do you get the idea that the Non-Return Valve has anything to do with EGR? No BMW that I've ever seen or heard of has a separate EGR system. Whatever EGR goes on is controlled by valve timing. It's one of the reasons that drove the development and application of variable valve timing.

The non-return valve is used for cold start air injection from the aux pump.

joshua43214
03-28-2006, 12:31 PM
EGR=exhaust gas recirculation
PCV= positive crankcase ventilation
These two items are very very different and you can not swap the terms back and forth. They do very different things.EGR is an attempt to re-burn exhaust gas that comes from the exhaust manifold. PCV is to remove blowby gas from the crankcase instead of venting it into the air.

If you are missing injector o-rings, you have a problem that needs to be resolved even if its not the cause of your stalling. The upper o-ring seals fuel, the lower vacuum. These should have been replaced when you re assembled every thing. It is common for the lower o-ring to stay stuck in the manifold. you can buy the o-rings for most bosch injectors separately for pennies each.

Getting that pipe that runs from oil separator to the rear cover can be tricky, it must be fully extended so it is all the way engaged at both ends. Your problem sounds like a vaccum leak to me, at the very least its aggravated by the missing injector seals. Missing 2 injector seals should not cause the engine to stall, but will cause a partial misfire, if not a dead miss. Its easy to have the intake seals fall off on assembly and not be visibly out of place, I always use a small mirror to inspect seal placement after droping the manifold in and before I install the bolts.

BTW, you can replace that rear cover without removing the entire manifold, its tight and tricky, but saves alot of agravation.

FiveOJester
03-28-2006, 02:52 PM
Do you have traction control (ASC)? When I put mine back together after changing the intake gaskets I accidentally swapped the plugs for the primary (operated by your foot) and secondardy (traction control operated by the computer) throttle body position sensors. They are the only two plugs in the area that were virtually identical. Car ran very rough and couldn't hold a steady idle. The traction control light was on constantly. Everything ran perfect once I realized my error and swapped them.

Dway540
03-28-2006, 08:03 PM
Regardless of name whether it is a PCV plate or EGR valve, I replaced the part on rear of the manifold. I ordered it from the Autohauz and their discription may be wrong but they have it listed as part number 11617501562
EGR valve;Rear Cover with Non-Return Valve. Regardless of the name of the part it was exactly the same as the original part that I removed from the rear of the intake manifold. The original part also had the exact part number written on it. In the future I will refer to this part as a PCV cover if this help to eliminate the confusion about the part. I do not have traction control on my vehicle. I canceled my order on the new fuel injectors and had the original injectors cleaned and flow tested for $15.00 each. They should ready tomorrow.

Dway540
03-31-2006, 07:39 PM
I installed the the fuel injectors and started my vehicle today. I drove around for about an hour and the dreaded check engine light did not come on.My car runs quieter and smoother than ever. You guys saved me a lot of money because I was about to take it to the stealer. I really appreciate all the help I received! Thanks!

632 Regal
03-31-2006, 08:32 PM
I knew you would figure it out!
I installed the the fuel injectors and started my vehicle today. I drove around for about an hour and the dreaded check engine light did not come on.My car runs quieter and smoother than ever. You guys saved me a lot of money because I was about to take it to the stealer. I really appreciate all the help I received! Thanks!