PDA

View Full Version : Help me identify this part

BigKriss
03-26-2006, 05:17 AM
http://img72.imageshack.us/img72/8803/pict0009small7ln.jpg

I'm pretty sure it's part number 11. Is this right? (http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=HD21&mospid=47382&btnr=13_0232&hg=13&fg=15&hl=35)

mamilapon
03-26-2006, 05:29 AM
This is a piece of fuel hose that very often leaks soon after starting the car. I think it feeds the fuel rail to the injecters. Replace with high pressure hose of same internal diameter.

genphreak
03-26-2006, 07:04 AM
That's it mate

KIT FOR FUEL HOSE AND CLAMP40MM/FPM1

but I think you can use almost any fuel hose, its only 3 BAR so surely u only need some heat resistant hose for it and 2 new clamps...

If you come up with something, can you get one for me too? I need to change this on mine, I tried tho (not very hard) and it wouldn't budge. I don't really want to wait for it to crack off!!

:) Nick

Javier
03-26-2006, 08:04 AM
I've replaced mine twice and is leaking again.

Guess the problem are those clamps I can get, they snap off the thread very easily and can not be set very tight. Guess that it is more important the selection of the clamps than the selection of the hose itself.

Javier

JonE
03-26-2006, 08:30 AM
I am guessing that some applications of clamps will work better with the real BMW clamps. I noticed that there is a difference and even the BMW dealer that I use carries both types, I usually opt for the ones that say BMW on them. I think they have a bit thinner strap than generic clamps, might be part of the difference.

Bill R.
03-26-2006, 09:07 AM
bmw fuel line... he also has bmw hose clamps which don't have cutout slots in them so they don't cut into the fuel line when you tighten them down. You don't want to use the original bmw breakaway clamps because they aren't adjustable after the first tightening. I prefer to use the bmw hose clamps on every car

Rustam
03-26-2006, 12:29 PM
bmw fuel line... he also has bmw hose clamps which don't have cutout slots in them so they don't cut into the fuel line when you tighten them down. You don't want to use the original bmw breakaway clamps because they aren't adjustable after the first tightening. I prefer to use the bmw hose clamps on every car

What's the big deal? It's just a hose! I used regular fuel line hose wrapped in rubber sheeting under the clamps so that they don't bite in...

The hose leaks because the base of the clamp is not flexible - with small diameters the effect is greater to the pont of inability to compress the hose well. The rubber sheeting increases that diameter making tight connection. I used regular fuel line sold by a foot at local auto parts store. It can't make sense to special order that piece of small thing.

Jon K
03-26-2006, 05:15 PM
lol guys this is a 2" segment of fuel pressure hose... its not fuel return hose or fuel hose for carburated cars, this is high pressure fuel hose.. can be found at pep boys etc... I just changed all the fuel lines under the intake manifold with new rubber fuel hose... a 2" segment would be like < $0.10

zhandax
03-26-2006, 06:28 PM
No kidding, high pressure. I have not checked on the 535, but on its M20 predecessor the fuel rail was pressurized at 90 PSI.

Bill R.
03-26-2006, 07:15 PM
3 bars or just under 45psi.

No kidding, high pressure. I have not checked on the 535, but on its M20 predecessor the fuel rail was pressurized at 90 PSI.

Scott H
03-26-2006, 08:06 PM
it's not just rubber....it's hi temp fuel line for engine bay applications made of Viton to withstand the temps created near the engine, headers, etc. Viton is expensive (relative to normal fuel line) and good for temps up to 250C. The fuel line in the rest of the car is neoprene/nitrile rubber good for temps up to 110C.

Anything noted FPM in the ETK should be 8x13 hi temp Viton...period...unless you want to dry rot your rubber fuel line purchased at any auto parts store and run the risk of leaks....the same thing you are trying to avoid.

As Bill R said, use a hose clamp where the screw doesn't bite out the backside and you will be fine...

lol guys this is a 2" segment of fuel pressure hose... its not fuel return hose or fuel hose for carburated cars, this is high pressure fuel hose.. can be found at pep boys etc... I just changed all the fuel lines under the intake manifold with new rubber fuel hose... a 2" segment would be like < $0.10

What's the big deal? It's just a hose! I used regular fuel line hose wrapped in rubber sheeting under the clamps so that they don't bite in...

The hose leaks because the base of the clamp is not flexible - with small diameters the effect is greater to the pont of inability to compress the hose well. The rubber sheeting increases that diameter making tight connection. I used regular fuel line sold by a foot at local auto parts store. It can't make sense to special order that piece of small thing.

632 Regal
03-26-2006, 08:12 PM
Amen Scott, its just a hose, get the high temp and good clamps, whats the biggie anyways?

BigKriss
03-26-2006, 09:02 PM
thanks for the replies guys :)

BigKriss
05-31-2006, 04:46 AM
I put the hose on today that I received from BMA. I don't know how to put it on all the way. I had to cut it short so it goes on like follows. I spent an hour to get it like this. It wouldn't go on when its normal length. I put it in some hot water to make the rubber bend more, but it didn't work.

http://img370.imageshack.us/img370/7997/fuelpipe7oi.jpg
I know pic not too good

What can I do?

Ross
05-31-2006, 06:04 AM
Mid eighties Nissan 3 liter V-6s had a service bulletin on leaking fuel inj. hoses. They offered a kit with 6 pieces of hose about this lenght and a dozen very nice clamps. If memory serves me correctly the hose is same diameter.
Be glad you won't have to do the job this kit is intended for!

myles
05-31-2006, 02:13 PM
I replaced mine a few months ago. The old one didn't leak, it was just old, and the new one doesn't leak either. If you have it assembled correctly that piece of fuel hose is dead straight.

I used 5/16 (or 8mm if you can find it) fuel injection hose cut to exactly 40mm length (as the etk says). I undid the bracket(18) that holds the metal section of fuel intake line(9) and fuel return lines(13), then I installed the 40mm section of hose, but did not clamp it until the end. Then do the bracket up again, this time positioning the metal pipes correctly in the bracket so that the new 40mm hose is completely straight. You may need to reposition part 16 to align it properly.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=HD12&mospid=47382&btnr=13_0232&hg=13&fg=15

The bracket I mention is made of parts 18 - 21. It is under the intake manifold. Also make sure you have 1 of part 16 to anchor part 9 to the fuel rail. You should have 2 of part 16 anchoring part 13 to the fuel rail.

HTH

525i!
05-31-2006, 02:55 PM
Mid eighties Nissan 3 liter V-6s had a service bulletin on leaking fuel inj. hoses. They offered a kit with 6 pieces of hose about this lenght and a dozen very nice clamps. If memory serves me correctly the hose is same diameter.
Be glad you won't have to do the job this kit is intended for!

been there done that wouldnt do it EVER again....what a pain in the dick. anyways you should be fine with just a high pressure fuel hose from and parts store, but I would use the bimmer clamps cause they kick ass. I even used them on my nissans when I was doing jap cars