PDA

View Full Version : Behind Sun Visors ?

JMI
03-25-2006, 04:09 PM
Just what is the purpose of the opaque plastic lens (2) behind (under?/over?) each sun visor on the '89 535i?

TIA

Kobe Diesel
03-25-2006, 04:17 PM
Never seen such a thing, not on my bimmer at least, maybe a luxury option item?

calmloki
03-25-2006, 04:37 PM
Maybe it will slide to the side to reveal a mirror on each visor? Is that what you are talking about? 2, 1 per visor?
Tom

Kalevera
03-25-2006, 04:58 PM
If it's in the roof -- they're two vanity lights that should turn on when the headlights (or parking lights) are on and the mirror is open. If it's in the visor, as others have said, sounds like the mirror sliders.

The sliders typically freeze up. At the time of the E34/E32 introduction, BMW was experimenting with more environmentally friendly glues and trim materials. Over time and heat, the glue melts (the manual rearview mirrors tend to ooze it at the edges). The glue in the visor will melt and prevent the slider from moving without a bit of work. I've never been able to fix a mucked up slider; hard to get that glue out and preserve the visor.

best, whit

JMI
03-25-2006, 05:12 PM
If it's in the roof -- they're two vanity lights that should turn on when the headlights (or parking lights) are on and the mirror is open.

That is what I thought. They don't light up. Maybe burnt out bulbs. Guess those lenses should just pop out (fat chance). Will see what happens.

Thanks

angrypancake
03-25-2006, 05:12 PM
the do just pop out actually, i had to change my bulbs. a small flathead screwdriver does the trick. nothing special to it.

Kalevera
03-25-2006, 05:32 PM
It could also be a ground issue. Those lights use a ground switch (look at the point where the visor detaches from the holder and you'll see the contacts) to prevent the lights from turning on when the visor isn't perpendicular to the ground.

best, whit