PDA

View Full Version : Auto tranny question

thekandyman
03-25-2006, 03:57 PM
I have a 1995 325is w/ an automatic transmission and about 112,000 miles on it and recently the battery died in it. We replaced the battery and it was driving good for acouple days until i was going about 40 mph and the transmission light (yellow) came on and kicked the car out of gear. I would have to pull over and restart the car to get it back in gear. However recently it has worked fine driving around town but when you get up to around 60 or on the highway then it starts redlining and won't shift into 5th gear. The car no longer kicks out of gear though. Also when you get in and put it in reverse or nuetral it makes a wierd noise coming from underneath the car and it continues when you put it in drive for acouple seconds but then it pops into gear. I've talked to some people and they say it might be the solenoids (3 of them?) but just wondering if any knew... Thanks a lot..

Bravo10000
03-26-2006, 09:30 PM
Solenoids...servos....what do you mean by "weird noise"?

I don't believe your battery and tranny issues are related. I've seen a lot of stories in BMW forums that talk of transmission problems in the 92-98 E36s at between 100k-130k miles. You'll see that I have a well-chronicled history of transmission problems by reading my latest posts here.

Bottom line - have it checked sooner than later!

SharkmanBMW
03-27-2006, 05:02 PM
have a look in the 5 series forum, you should have the same tranny as a 525, lots of info there on that....
search and see!
more movement and info on the 5 board!