PDA

View Full Version : weird electrical problem

BigTed00
03-25-2006, 02:38 PM
The 535 has been acting strange of late. Starting three nights ago, I turned on the car, flipped on the wipers, and nothing happened. Then after 15 seconds the wipers turned on at hyper speed then died 5 seconds later in the middle on the windshield. The radio and OBC went out as well. I had somewhere I needed to go so I toughed it out w/out wipers (go rainX). About an hour later I was driving and suddnely the wipers, radio, and OBC just came back on.

Well I really dont like when things fix themselves, and sure enough last night the same thing happened, except this time everything + the windows dont work now. Any suggestions on what might be going wrong?

KenB
03-25-2006, 02:52 PM
Fusible link, the most common problem. A search should turn up many results. The are in different places depending on model year. Cost to fix, $.59

BigTed00
03-25-2006, 04:40 PM
thank you

BigTed00
03-28-2006, 01:24 PM
Fusible link, the most common problem. A search should turn up many results. The are in different places depending on model year. Cost to fix, $.59

much thanks, the $tealer charged me $3 for it but I didnt care, it took a total of 8 minutes to take out the backseat, disconnect the battery, and put in the new fusible link. now I have windows, radio, wipers, and obc again :D

SharkmanBMW
03-28-2006, 01:45 PM
Ted, your sig pic is super sweet

BigTed00
03-28-2006, 04:17 PM
thanks. once the pollen season is finally over I'll wash and wax her and get some decent pics. until this this will have to do

http://www.meestark.net/images/DSC06462.JPG

KenB
03-28-2006, 04:18 PM
much thanks, the $tealer charged me $3 for it but I didnt care, it took a total of 8 minutes to take out the backseat, disconnect the battery, and put in the new fusible link. now I have windows, radio, wipers, and obc again :D

Glad to hear that was the problem and it is now fixed, I bought an extra one to insure that I would never need it, ya know how that works?

$3.00! Highway robbery!! Really a bargain at twice the price. When I went to get mine the parts guy looked at me like he never heard of such a thing, same guy I've dealt with for 10 years, had to show him in his book.

I've read strories of the $tealers service departments NOT knowing about this little fix and charging customers hundreds of $$$ to track down the "electrical gremlins".

It's the first problem I had after I bought my car which lead me here and found the fix from the resident experts, kept me coming back for more of their wisdom and foolishnes.:D

Thanks to all for sharing their wisdom, now I'm an expert on fusible links too.;)