PDA

View Full Version : Ot: Near Death Experience

clhorton
03-25-2006, 08:05 AM
Ok I just got off of work at the psych ward and I had something really crazy happen to me. We cant smoke on the grounds at work so we go drive around. Well im on one of the roads behind the hospital driving with a friend and a random tan camry comes up behind me and rams my car. I speed up to get away and they speed up and get behind me. I get back on the main highway and they get on my left side and try to run me off the road so I call 911 and tell the police where I am out of nowhere 6 police cars going probably about 100 surround the car and pull the camry over. The cops want me to pull over also and I do. They pull some stupid nasty white trash redneck woman out of the car and she was piss drunk. She was just really drunk and decided she wanted to try to kill somebody. Imagine that all the really crazy people arent at work. Man last night sucked!

Gayle
03-25-2006, 08:21 AM
OMG--How frightening! That someone would decide that they would want to kill someone randomly and that the random victim selected would be you.

(However if it were me that had experienced that, I would wonder if the universe was telling me to give up smoking....Just a thought).

What did we do before cell phones? Yesterday a tow truck driver honked at me repeatly because he didn't like my lane change. I deserved one honk of displeasure but I thought 10 was a bit excessive, so I pulled out my cell phone and called his company and reported his rude behavior. It was great. I could drop back and give them his license and pull up and tell them the truck number. Cell phones rock and so do quick repsonse times by the police.

angrypancake
03-25-2006, 08:38 AM
dude thats NUTS. kinda like where you work! someone tried to ram my uncle off the golden gate bridge once (don't know if it can be done, but its what he said). wtf is with people these days.

onewhippedpuppy
03-25-2006, 08:40 AM
Damn, that's scary! Glad you were with it enough to try and get away instead of stopping. Also nice to hear a story about a fast police response. Was this in the 5'er?

angrypancake
03-25-2006, 08:43 AM
did she cause any damage to your ride?

Martin in Bellevue
03-25-2006, 09:11 AM
Gayle, you cut somebody off, so you called their employer because you didn't expect a response? The guy used his horn too many times?
Was he towing a vehicle at the time, reducing his ability to decelerate & maneuver around your lane change?

Gayle
03-25-2006, 10:29 AM
Gayle, you cut somebody off, so you called their employer because you didn't expect a response? The guy used his horn too many times?
Was he towing a vehicle at the time, reducing his ability to decelerate & maneuver around your lane change?

Traffic was going 10 miles per hour. He was not towing--it was an empty flat bed truck. He did not come close to hitting me. There was no need for him to declerate cause he was going about 7 mph. He just didn't like it that I switched lanes in front of him. I have no problem with him expressing his displeasure with one or two honks, it was 8 through 10 I didn't like--especially since at that point traffic was not moving at all.

And in SoCal we pride ourselves on being aggressive but mellow drivers. People just don't sit on the horn like that here, even though they do in other parts of the country. And when I called and reported him, I owned up to my part--I didn't make it sound like I was innocent--I started by telling the dispatcher what I did. I said he had a right to honk at me--just not at infinitium--my offense didn't warrant his response.

GoldenOne
03-25-2006, 11:14 AM
maybe he was just honking to say nice ride?! ;)

bjl4776
03-25-2006, 11:25 AM
I remember i pulled up next to a company truck and he was packing a bowl. I laughed my ass off as he got infront of me and i saw the hows my driving number. His manager was dumbfounded.

Evan
03-25-2006, 01:02 PM
you can't get rammed off the GG bridge hehe but if you're gonna die falling off a bridge, there's no prettier place

Evan
03-25-2006, 01:05 PM
what is "at infinitium" is that latin?

you shouldn't be proud of what you did, gayle... the truck driver was an ass for honking.. but why would you call his work... did he injure your ears?

and.. oh **** it

Evan
03-25-2006, 01:09 PM
Amazing. There used to be a time when being branded a "snitch" was the worst thing that could happen to you. Snitches routinely get their asses kicked at schools, killed in prison, and ostracized in workplaces.

I can understand reporting an injury to the authorities... if someone wrongs you, yo have every right to use the system to right that wrong... but calling someone's workplace to inform their emplyer that they were honking their horn too much or filling a bowl or getting blown in their (oval) office is not the type of behavior I would brag about...

ok it's rust time

SharkmanBMW
03-25-2006, 01:18 PM
I remember i pulled up next to a company truck and he was packing a bowl. I laughed my ass off as he got infront of me and i saw the hows my driving number. His manager was dumbfounded.

you should have pulled him over for a hit!!!

angrypancake
03-25-2006, 01:26 PM
you should have pulled him over for a hit!!!

hahahahahahahah i was gonna say the same thing!

and evan there were a bunch of shirts made that said "stop snitchin" and there was a public uproar about it. it quite funny actually seeing these kids wearing the shirts and then the rich yuppies looking down their noses (i live in harlem/morningside heights)

at infinitium = to infinity or to the end

angrypancake
03-25-2006, 01:33 PM
Amazing. There used to be a time when being branded a "snitch" was the worst thing that could happen to you. Snitches routinely get their asses kicked at schools, killed in prison, and ostracized in workplaces.

I can understand reporting an injury to the authorities... if someone wrongs you, yo have every right to use the system to right that wrong... but calling someone's workplace to inform their emplyer that they were honking their horn too much or filling a bowl or getting blown in their (oval) office is not the type of behavior I would brag about...

ok it's rust time

http://www.bostonist.com/attachments/boston_sco/stopsnitching.jpg

clhorton
03-25-2006, 03:28 PM
nope wasnt the 5'er it was my mom's taurus. I could have easily gotten away from that toyota in the 5

clhorton
03-25-2006, 03:31 PM
Yeah we drove back past when the had the drunk getting arrested. We drove by just in time to see her punch the officer in the face and she is instantly dropped to the ground when the other 3 officers jump on top of her. She got what was coming. Still scared the **** out of me though.

Evan
03-25-2006, 03:37 PM
i remember the "stop snitching" news story... it started in baltimore with a crew of drug dealers that wanted to intimidate witnesses and neighbors. they created a DVD and T Shirts and got themselves locked up for ten years or so... they even caught Carmelo Anthony on tape one day and he took a lot of flak for being in the DVD (albeit without intention)

...ad infinitum... don't they teach that in the ivy league?

angrypancake
03-25-2006, 03:46 PM
yeah they teach it, but i learned it in 7th grade latin, lol

Gayle
03-25-2006, 05:28 PM
what is "at infinitium" is that latin?

you shouldn't be proud of what you did, gayle... the truck driver was an ass for honking.. but why would you call his work... did he injure your ears?

and.. oh **** it

Maybe I am to much of a capitalist, but I figure if he is in the company truck he is representing the company. His behavior gives his employer a bad name.

And I believe if you are willing to do the crime, you should be willing to pay the time. I am always willing to pay the consequences when I choose to behave badly and think other people should too.

The flow of information corrects behavior. He gave me feedback about my behavior and I gave him feedback about his. I will think about it the next time I consider merging into a space that is a little too small and he will think about it the next time he feels like laying on the horn.

And I am proud of what I did. People don't mess with me with impunity. I am one of the few women I know who doesn't feel powerless and sort of a potential victim in the world and the reason I don't feel like a victim is because I am willing to take actions to influence outcomes.

Just a different perspective from yours probably reflecting our different life experiences. But thanks for expressing your opinion.

ArtemLepilov
03-25-2006, 06:16 PM
Its right.. Gayle did the right thing - I hate ******* drivers like that... one time I was in the right lane and there was a guy in an SUV next to me and I was driving to school... actualy i was driving to my school town to part the car me and angry got :D.. In any case- i try to get in front of him and he woulnt let me, note the lane was straight and right only - so I tried to avoid the traffic. Then he gives me the finger and hes got NJ plates! Im in my home state and this ass is trying to make it look like its his road. If there was a hows my driving number I would gladly call it.

-Artem

Zeuk in Oz
03-25-2006, 06:22 PM
That would have been frightening. Glad you are OK - hope your car is insured because it certainly sounds like she won't be.

Also good to know it wasn't someone who didn't like your website ! :D

angrypancake
03-25-2006, 06:23 PM
Its right.. Gayle did the right thing - I hate ******* drivers like that... one time I was in the right lane and there was a guy in an SUV next to me and I was driving to school... actualy i was driving to my school town to part the car me and angry got :D.. In any case- i try to get in front of him and he woulnt let me, note the lane was straight and right only - so I tried to avoid the traffic. Then he gives me the finger and hes got NJ plates! Im in my home state and this ass is trying to make it look like its his road. If there was a hows my driving number I would gladly call it.

-Artem

i used to have a bumper sticker that said

HOWS MY DRIVING? 1-800-EAT-****

Gayle
03-25-2006, 06:28 PM
i used to have a bumper sticker that said

HOWS MY DRIVING? 1-800-EAT-****

Is that your company Pancake? EAT ****? How are sales?

angrypancake
03-25-2006, 06:42 PM
ha, terrible, thats why i'm angry!

seriously though if someone's driving like a douche, and they have one of those #'s to call, by all means it should be called. there are way too many incompetent drivers on the road, and clhorton found one that clearly shouldve been inside where he was working, instead of drunk and driving around.

Gayle
03-25-2006, 07:05 PM
clhorton found one that clearly shouldve been inside where he was working, instead of drunk and driving around.

Agreed and I didn't mean to hijack the thread.

So, clhorton, how are you doing? Are you still shaken? I imagine it was probably worse an hour or so after it happened, when you think about what could have happened.

Experiences like that make you realize how fragile life is and how you can just be in the wrong place at the wrong time and that's it.

Thank God you had a cell phone with you. What would you have done if you didn't have it with you?

romus
03-25-2006, 08:33 PM
Tow truck drivers are imbeciles here too. They're speeding, running red lights, cutting off and doing all sorts of crap only to arrive at the "scene" fighting with another tow truck driver who got there first.

clhorton
03-26-2006, 08:52 AM
I just got off work. Haha yeah um we got a new patient last night! Guess who!! Yeah it was great but they sent me to the old people psych unit because she was up there and they thought she might try to start something with me. She said that I pissed her off because I was driving too slow.... Life is great! Crazy bitch!

sKilled
03-26-2006, 11:08 PM
(People+Alcohol)xDriving=Stupid

As the cops in NZ say "If you drink and don't drive, you're a bloody legend."

mattyb
03-26-2006, 11:28 PM
did u still have that sticker on the back ur car, "honk if ur horny"!

clhorton
03-27-2006, 12:38 AM
Yep I've just never seen someone with that kind of drunkness

joshua43214
03-27-2006, 10:56 AM
just because you paranoid, doesnt mean they arn't out to get you....

Scott H
03-27-2006, 11:55 AM
In your justification, you are comparing apples to oranges....

His reaction to your lane change was a series of horn honking. Your reaction to his horn honking was calling his company and reporting him? It doesn't take a genius to realize that his response to your action does nothing but embarrass you, while your response to his action could cost him his job. Sounds like a poorly thought out, knee-jerk, emotional reaction on your part because you were embarrassed that you were getting honked at in traffic for your self-admitted questionable maneuver.

You say you are willing to do the time for the crime. Are you are willing to do equal time as the tow-truck driver since your crimes were the same? If he gets fired are you willing to give up the same income he loses?

You seem to champion the "eye-for-an-eye" idea here. In this situation, the proper response would be for you to return horn honking or the middle finger through the sunroof, not report the driver to his employer....it's that simple.

This smells like a one-way deal. Whatever logic and reasoning you have tried to apply here to justify your response is ********.

Maybe I am to much of a capitalist, but I figure if he is in the company truck he is representing the company. His behavior gives his employer a bad name.

And I believe if you are willing to do the crime, you should be willing to pay the time. I am always willing to pay the consequences when I choose to behave badly and think other people should too.

The flow of information corrects behavior. He gave me feedback about my behavior and I gave him feedback about his. I will think about it the next time I consider merging into a space that is a little too small and he will think about it the next time he feels like laying on the horn.

And I am proud of what I did. People don't mess with me with impunity. I am one of the few women I know who doesn't feel powerless and sort of a potential victim in the world and the reason I don't feel like a victim is because I am willing to take actions to influence outcomes.

Just a different perspective from yours probably reflecting our different life experiences. But thanks for expressing your opinion.

632 Regal
03-27-2006, 12:00 PM
I wouldnt have responded at all but would have simply been embarrassed for doing something stupid instead of either waiting or looking to see if there was room.

your self-admitted questionable maneuver.

Evan
03-27-2006, 01:14 PM
Gayle should have thrown a Snapple bottle through his passenger window... but calling his employer may have been a little much.

Gayle, are you and Scott H dating?

632 Regal
03-27-2006, 01:28 PM
the honeymoon seems to have faded ...
Gayle should have thrown a Snapple bottle through his passenger window... but calling his employer may have been a little much.

Gayle, are you and Scott H dating?

SharkmanBMW
03-27-2006, 02:01 PM
the honeymoon seems to have faded ...

LMFAO!!!!
this group never fails to amuse me;)

pundit
03-27-2006, 02:07 PM
I just got off work. Haha yeah um we got a new patient last night! Guess who!! Yeah it was great but they sent me to the old people psych unit because she was up there and they thought she might try to start something with me. She said that I pissed her off because I was driving too slow.... Life is great! Crazy bitch!
Hmmm... could be worthwhile strapping her into a chair and playing her the final scene in 'One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest'.

From the sound of her I'm sure she'd rather have a bottle in front of her than a frontal lobotomy! ;)

Evan
03-27-2006, 03:37 PM
no frigging way

clhorton
03-27-2006, 03:50 PM
Haha yeah that is the great stretch of irony i've seen. She doesn't know I'm the one that called her in. She was just talking a lot of trash about somebody calling the police on her. haha

Traian
03-27-2006, 03:57 PM
(People+Alcohol)xDriving=Stupid

That means you're stupid even when you drive sober!

Or was that the point? I am running on minimal sleep here.

angrypancake
03-27-2006, 04:52 PM
so he's saying (people x driving) = stupid - alcohol.