PDA

View Full Version : Transmission... I think.

chadsahs
03-25-2006, 01:23 AM
I am currently waiting for my manual from Bentley's Publishing... But until then I have a question. "While putting the car in gear (P, R, N, D), I noticed that I have a A and an S. What does that mean?" I already know what the M stands for, and the A is for Automatic... What is the "S"? And how do I control the "A" and the "S"... It seems that the car runs better on "S" than on "A".

Please Help!!

angrypancake
03-25-2006, 01:30 AM
S = sport mode, it makes the car more "fun." its for more spirited driving, and not for good fuel economy.

Evan
03-25-2006, 01:32 AM
Sport Mode. When you're in Auto mode and you shift down, the transmission is signaled to change to a "sportier" shift pattern. This keeps your car in each gear longer which makes you go faster.

I am currently waiting for my manual from Bentley's Publishing... But until then I have a question. "While putting the car in gear (P, R, N, D), I noticed that I have a A and an S. What does that mean?" I already know what the M stands for, and the A is for Automatic... What is the "S"? And how do I control the "A" and the "S"... It seems that the car runs better on "S" than on "A".

Please Help!!

632 Regal
03-25-2006, 01:35 AM
A=Alice C= Chains, nice pair.

I ditto the above

Blitzkrieg Bob
03-25-2006, 01:40 AM
Ooops...eeh, there he went.

Kalevera
03-25-2006, 01:48 AM
Thank you for buying the bentley manual. The pirates around here (argh) harbor the belief that nobody should get paid for their expertise. By purchasing the manual, you've helped to assure that future tomes are written. Thanks.

Previously posted information was good, but just to clarify a few things that are often misunderstood:

(M)anual mode selects and holds a gear. People often confuse this as some kind of selectable shifting program. It's not. Starting off from a dead stop in anything equal or above M3 (number of gears is model specific) is extremely stressful on the transmission -- an easy way to kill the trans. So, only use manual mode when you need to select and hold a gear.

Sport mode changes shifting points to locations higher in the rev range. So the car sounds better, ergo you think it's running better. Sport mode does away with overdrive and torque converter lockup modes. So a 4 speed car will hit 3rd gear and stay there.

One thing to do is read the manual -- it explains many of the tips and tricks that aren't readily apparent to new owners. Admittedly, the section on transmission programs is sparse.

best, whit

Kalevera
03-25-2006, 01:50 AM
Got me wrong is a much better song.