PDA

View Full Version : 2 problems.

Weegee
03-25-2006, 01:03 AM
I just bought a 1994 540i last week and although it has 164k miles on it, it still drives solid. Anyway the only problems with the car are all the gauges, they don't seem to work. I've looked on other sites and they mentioned something about capacitors needing to be replaced. Also the guy who I bought it from said that the transmission switch needed to be replaced. I've read that the transmission (automatic) is somewhat of a problem for the 540i, when I was driving it home it shifted hard, this only happened once though. Other than that the car is in perfect condition. I'll probably do a complete tune-up on it next week, and maybe in the next couple of months get new wheels, what do you guys suggest? Sorry for the barrage of questions just that this is my first real car.

angrypancake
03-25-2006, 01:15 AM
welcome!

get used to the car for a bit, find out if there are any other issues before you jump into the mods. definitely get it a GOOD checking out, head to tail pipe. the speedo and such don't work? you could just need a new cluster, they pop up every now and then on fleabay. theres no worries about barrages of questions. the trans issue i'll leave to the 530/540 guys, they will be able to refer you moreso than i.

take some pictures!!!!!

632 Regal
03-25-2006, 01:22 AM
the pancake dude is full of bubblegum...just kiddin.

there is an issue with the 540 transmissions, there is an upgrade to the valvebody that is available from ZF transmissions "Kurt Kohller". (800)624-3876 ext 5735 or direct at (616)748-5735 )

thats the first thing I would recommend, 2nd is not to cheap out on the fluid that costs like 10 bux a quart, people have used other and sweared it works but most have dissaperred since.

Dont flush the trans, your askin for trouble.

Kalevera
03-25-2006, 01:50 AM
If nothing on the dash works, it's probably unplugged. Check the plugs (search). Beyond that, it could be a compound problem (bad or clogged up speed sensor and bad caps), cracked joint, anything's par.

Jeff, you bring up an interesting point. I think it's fine to use regular dexIII in the 5hp30 if it's the first fluid it sees after a rebuild. Other than that...well...you know the deal, big baby.

best, whit

Weegee
03-26-2006, 10:13 PM
So I checked the dash again today and some of the lights worked, however none of the gauges worked and it doesn't show the mileage. I do get other messages like Key In Ignition and the like. I haven't been able to check out anything else though, right now it's in my garage since I don't have plates for it yet. Also, I noticed that the wipers don't work, is this fuse related?

Sorry for all the petty questions, I know the Bentley manual would probably solve all these issues, but I plan on buying it this week.

Thanks in advance.