PDA

View Full Version : Do i have a cheap OBC!

Calico_NC
03-24-2006, 02:34 AM
First off, i just recently purchased my e34 so........... Okay, is the OBC the display where the speedometer is or is it the system adjacent to the radio. If it is the system adjacent to the radio, i only have the option to see the time, date, and temp. Do i have the cheap option! I also have a 95, so did they change the look of the obc from year to year or what? I DONT KNOW? because i wanted to access the hidden features. (If i got any)! HELP A BROTHA OUT! LOL:D

angrypancake
03-24-2006, 02:38 AM
the obc is adjacent to the radio. to "unlock" your obc check the owners manual... or do a quick search. then you can get to all the cool stuff.

edit, here ya go, check this out, how to unlock. (http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t=15303&highlight=obc+unlock)

632 Regal
03-24-2006, 02:41 AM
or keep smokin....

Calico_NC
03-24-2006, 02:58 AM
okay i got a comment, when the directions say to "Push OBC buttons 1000 and 10 together" what buttons are they referring to, because in my car i only have date, temp, hour, ME, and two buttons to change the time and date.

angrypancake
03-24-2006, 02:59 AM
hmmm... post a picture of your obc if you can?

Calico_NC
03-24-2006, 03:03 AM
well i dont have a pic of the inside ill try and find one on the net

Calico_NC
03-24-2006, 03:17 AM
cant find one. i guess it is the cheap version. maybe ill have to upgrade. Basically, the OBC i have has no "1000, 1, 10, S/R etc..buttons.

Just hour, temp, Date, and ME. This is bullsh!t! LOL. but anyway, i also have another question. on the lever for my turn signals, there is a extension you can press in that looks like an open book icon.What is this?When i press it in it does nothing at all

Paul in NZ
03-24-2006, 04:51 AM
that will display obc information on the cluster display if you had the OBC...

zmuff
03-24-2006, 07:26 AM
Kind of sounds like a 6 button OBC from an e30. Does it look like the one in this ebay link?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Bmw-E30-OBC-6-button-Very-Nice-Lights-up-318-325-325i_W0QQitemZ8048611949QQcategoryZ50459QQrdZ1QQcm dZViewItem

Calico_NC
03-24-2006, 11:22 AM
yeah thats basically it, but it's just a different shape. Same buttons and all.
So if i wanted to upgrade, what would i have to do? could this OBC work for my car?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-E34-ON-BOARD-COMPUTER-OBC-UNIT-E32-525-735_W0QQitemZ8049879559QQcategoryZ50459QQssPageNam eZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

zmuff
03-24-2006, 01:40 PM
I put an OBC in my car from a 1995 525i and it looks exactly like the 15 button unit I took out (except all of the pixels work). As far as I know, the choices in the US were either an OBC or a clock. The 518i and 520i had a different OBC but I don't see how you would have one of those, unless the PO bought it outside of the US. Seems to me like the 15 button OBC would work for you. I'll dig through my parts box and see if I still have my old one you can use for testing...the display is crappy, but all of the functions work.

ArtemLepilov
03-24-2006, 01:53 PM
And I can give you mine for $50 shipped :p

From a 1990 525I with all the functions

-Artem

GoldenEagleFan
03-24-2006, 04:06 PM
I just upgraded my clock to an OBC about a month ago. This is from a previous post I entered about that time but should give some help/hints on what you will need to look for to upgrade to an OBC. I've seen quite a few post that say you can modify the bracket for the heater controls/radio/obc by cutting out the bracket behind the clock. Should be able to do a search to get more info.

Also recomend buying the bulbs for the obc at the same time you buy the OBC as they are cheap and likely to need replacing.

"Due to the search engine I was able to find out I need a new trim piece/bracket for the heatercontrols/radio/obc (Ebay for $1.00) found an OBC ending in 055 (Ebay, $37.00) and was able to switch out the clock/temp unit and plug in the OBC. No power, found another link and spliced line 17 into 9 (A hint for anyone doing the conversion, on the connector in very small letters on each side of the connector the pinout is labled with a 1, 13 on one side and 14, 26 on the other so it is easy to find the correct pinout, my wife's sewing needles for her machine made great pinout measure tools for my cheap voltmeter). After fixing this the OBC lit up.

Was disappointed at first as I had no display on the dash, even though it appeared the car had the correct stalk (little arrows pointing in/out with an picture of an unfolded book on top of them). Found another link and realized my car was prewired for a cell phone, found the correct connector under the rear section of the center console (yellow connector with three wires, spliced the two outside multi-color ones together) and viola, display on the dash."