PDA

View Full Version : What Brand of Pads should I get?

theurig
03-23-2006, 07:53 PM
Folks my brakes haven't given me the warning but I am sure they will be soon. I am just wondering what kind of pads I should get. What brand would most of you recommend. I intend to do both front and rear I am purchasing them from:

http://www.autohausaz.com/search/productx.aspx?sid=viytuz452paywe45dp5z2y45&makeid=800003@BMW&modelid=1012093@525IT&year=1993&cid=14@Brake%20%26%20Wheel%20Hub&gid=1684@Brake%20Pad%20Set Autohaus Arizona.

632 Regal
03-23-2006, 08:14 PM
get the raybestos QS...I strayed and am not happy with the outcome.

zmuff
03-23-2006, 08:58 PM
Another vote for the Raybestos QS. I have them front and rear. They have held up well to four driving schools and work great when hot. The wheels stay clean much longer too.

mholbrook
03-23-2006, 09:22 PM
I've always liked the Mintex Red Box. Never let me down, low dust, nice bite and easy on rotors. Did I say cheap?

MBXB
03-23-2006, 09:36 PM
Raybestos QS Ceramics

angrypancake
03-23-2006, 09:48 PM
green stuff pads are pretty sweet, but my vote is also for QS ceramics

liquidtiger720
03-23-2006, 10:04 PM
Hawk Ceramics!!!

they arn't half bad. no dust at all :).

Zeuk in Oz
03-23-2006, 11:25 PM
I rather like stock pads !

They seem to work so well I would be uneasy about trying anything else.

When I bought my car 3 years ago it had some pads in it that gave no dust at all and I thought that the braking was fairly average - no idea what they were.

Replaced them with stock pads even though they didn't need changing and couldn't believe the difference.

My 2c

BillionPa
03-24-2006, 07:24 AM
im going to be putting axxis ultimate pads on when all my new brake parts get here, based soley on the fact they work really well when the braking system is cold.

however i would not use them on the track or if you will be doing any sort of racing.

Gayle
03-24-2006, 07:48 AM
Here is a information packed thread from the wheel/tire/brake section of the archives (http://www.bimmer.info/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13) (always a good place to look for information).

best brake pads (http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t=7068)

632 Regal
03-24-2006, 11:13 AM
not true!!!! I have these pads and they dont work good unless real hot. I havent tried the raybestos QS yet but thinking about pitching these, im not impressed at all. The research says something other than real use does.

im going to be putting axxis ultimate pads on when all my new brake parts get here, based soley on the fact they work really well when the braking system is cold.

however i would not use them on the track or if you will be doing any sort of racing.

Kobe Diesel
03-24-2006, 05:57 PM
I, too, recommend Raybestos QS ceramics, super quiet, very low dust.

Brandon J
03-24-2006, 07:52 PM
not true!!!! I have these pads and they dont work good unless real hot. I havent tried the raybestos QS yet but thinking about pitching these, im not impressed at all. The research says something other than real use does.

I beg to differ. I have put these on my car several times and used them on other cars. Just like all other pads, they have to be broken in well and make sure they are broken in well. They work well when cold and even better when warm. I know several cars with them and a lot of e39 guys including M5 owners use them. What does happen is that the break-in part (tapered a little) of the pad takes a little bit of time to go through. After that, they are amazing. Are you using these on new or old rotors and are they completely broken in? I use them in the winter as well as the summer.

632 Regal
03-24-2006, 10:46 PM
yes, were brand new rotors but I think I warped at least 1 front one due to "excessive" break in. I'm going to try to run the dial indicater on them tomorrow if I get a chance. Have you tried the Ray QS?

I beg to differ. I have put these on my car several times and used them on other cars. Just like all other pads, they have to be broken in well and make sure they are broken in well. They work well when cold and even better when warm. I know several cars with them and a lot of e39 guys including M5 owners use them. What does happen is that the break-in part (tapered a little) of the pad takes a little bit of time to go through. After that, they are amazing. Are you using these on new or old rotors and are they completely broken in? I use them in the winter as well as the summer.

Brandon J
03-24-2006, 10:58 PM
I find that a problem often is that people often over heat their brakes when breaking in the pads. These Axxis don't need to be baked so excessive heat for breaking in is not necessary. Some good average runs are good enough then just time. Do you have the pads on all corners or just the front?

rizal
03-24-2006, 11:18 PM
Just did mine at 132K with Jurids (BMA recommendation), Balo rotors, and replaced the stock rubber caliper bushings with Bavarian Autosport metal bushings. Very nice now, with very progressive, easily modulated and strong braking. Also, I totally eliminated the 55-65mph front shimmy/shudder I would get under braking, even after replacing my thrust arms. Perfect now.
Al

Folks my brakes haven't given me the warning but I am sure they will be soon. I am just wondering what kind of pads I should get. What brand would most of you recommend. I intend to do both front and rear I am purchasing them from:

http://www.autohausaz.com/search/productx.aspx?sid=viytuz452paywe45dp5z2y45&makeid=800003@BMW&modelid=1012093@525IT&year=1993&cid=14@Brake%20%26%20Wheel%20Hub&gid=1684@Brake%20Pad%20Set Autohaus Arizona.

632 Regal
03-25-2006, 01:09 AM
all 4, im thinking the warped rotor/s are part of the cold grip problem. the rotors looked like old records when I did the break in so it still wasnt a good time to do that.

I find that a problem often is that people often over heat their brakes when breaking in the pads. These Axxis don't need to be baked so excessive heat for breaking in is not necessary. Some good average runs are good enough then just time. Do you have the pads on all corners or just the front?

angrypancake
03-25-2006, 01:21 AM
get some Tampax.

632 Regal
03-25-2006, 01:24 AM
WTF is on your mind man?

get some Tampax.

angrypancake
03-25-2006, 01:28 AM
on or affecting?

632 Regal
03-25-2006, 01:30 AM
rizal you got a link?

Blitzkrieg Bob
03-25-2006, 01:34 AM
keeps the panties fresh.

Brandon J
03-25-2006, 03:01 PM
Jurid pads are good pads. They are original brand BMW. What I don't like is that they don't grip as well when hot. They do bite well intially which is good if slowing down hard on the autobahn on cold brakes or for normal driving. They also dust a lot and what I have seen can stain the wheels. I wouldn't mind something a little more grippy than the Jurids, better grip when hot, and less dust. That is why I chose the Axxis Ultimates. I do spirited driving, with lots of stop and go traffic my brakes can get hot, they have good initial bite cold or hot, get better when warm, and dust less with the dust more grayish than black. The dust also washes off easier.

Just did mine at 132K with Jurids (BMA recommendation), Balo rotors, and replaced the stock rubber caliper bushings with Bavarian Autosport metal bushings. Very nice now, with very progressive, easily modulated and strong braking. Also, I totally eliminated the 55-65mph front shimmy/shudder I would get under braking, even after replacing my thrust arms. Perfect now.
Al

rizal
03-25-2006, 03:14 PM
on or affecting?
Metal caliper bushings are at Bavarian Autosport (www.bavauto.com)