PDA

View Full Version : lets talk 540 powerplant audio options

Loppy
03-23-2006, 01:25 PM
(searched, not much on aftermarket exhaust on here)

OK, so I got the wheels and tires, opened the airbox intake and just got my EAT today. So the only things left on my list are:

Lower/better suspension
window tint
Exhaust

Then I'm pretty much done (yeah, right)

Everything about driving the car (specially when I get that chip in) is bad ass. Love it. But I want to HEAR it. I would love a bit more of a throaty, pissed off sound. I know not to fawk with the system through the cats and overall, the stock system is about as good as it gets awyway, so that being said...

What I want is to simply HEAR it, without negatively effecting the performance. So:

1. Take it to my local muffler shop guy (I have a really good one) and have him cut/weld in a Flowmaster or similar?

2. Get some slick expensive "cat back" design? (if this, suggestions and links please!)

Sincerely, your Vette chasing friend,
Loppy

Loppy
03-23-2006, 02:11 PM
Dont everyone post at once now! :-D

Is this for real??
http://www.bmwworld.com/parts/acc/5er_intake_exhaust.htm

RX7guy
03-23-2006, 02:40 PM
I don't even have a BMW yet, but I certainly wouldn't put a Flowmaster on it.

Loppy
03-23-2006, 04:09 PM
I don't even have a BMW yet, but I certainly wouldn't put a Flowmaster on it.

hahaha... neither would I, I was joking. Not interested in sounding like any 19 yr old fool with a 5.0 or Camero. :p

Tiger
03-23-2006, 05:25 PM
Supersprint cat back system is the only way to go... if you want the loudest exhaust... it would be Tri-Flow.

632 Regal
03-23-2006, 05:28 PM
I wouldnt hesitate to try a flowmaster, they are pretty cool.

Loppy
03-23-2006, 06:02 PM
I'll check those out, thanks Tiger.

I may try a flowmaster first, why not? It may be seuper cool. If not, trash it and get a cat back.

saluki540i
03-25-2006, 08:49 AM
I put the billy boat on my 540i and love it. Less than $700.00. The fit and finish are terrific, I probably dropped 70 pounds off the car, from the factory, and it has a great small block v-8 rumble to it at idle. It is not boomy or obnoxious inside the car either. Gives the car more presence...

Johntee540
03-25-2006, 09:53 AM
Billy Boat Tri-Flo is the best - JT

Alexlind123
03-25-2006, 11:54 AM
Try a flowmaster. You probably wont get any performance increase by getting a cat back thing. There are alot of flowmasters to choose from, quiet and loud. They are FAR cheaper than a B&B or a triflow, and if you dont like it you can always take it off. I wouldnt worry about making it sound like a 5.0 camero (i dont think thats possible, especially since cameros redline at about half of what your car does).

Leo_Straight6
03-25-2006, 02:49 PM
I've got a mate with a 540iLe (6-Speed) with an Eisenmann system and it seriously couldn't sound better.

I have a 16 meg video with sound of him reving it:D

If anyone wants it, PM me!