PDA

View Full Version : OT a billion

632 Regal
03-23-2006, 10:21 AM
The next time you hear a politician use the word
"billion" in a casual manner, think about whether you
want the "politicians" spending your tax money.

A billion is a difficult number to comprehend, but one
advertising agency did a good job of putting that
figure into some perspective in one of its releases.

a.. A billion seconds ago it was 1959.

b.. A billion minutes ago Jesus was alive!

c.. A billion hours ago our ancestors were living in
the Stone Age.

d.. A billion days ago no-one walked on the earth on
two feet.

e.. A billion dollars ago was only 8 hours and 20
minutes, at the rate our government is spending it.

While this thought is still fresh in our brain, let's
take a look at New Orleans - It's amazing what you can
learn with some simple division.

Louisiana Democrat Senator, Mary Landrieu, is
presently asking the Congress for $250 BILLION to
rebuild New Orleans. Interesting number, what does it
mean?

Well, if you are one of 484,674 residents of New
Orleans (every man, woman, child), you each get
$516,528.00.

Or, if you have one of the 188,251 homes in New
Orleans, your home gets $1,329,787.00 or, if you are a
family of four, your family gets $2,066,012.00.

Washington, D.C.!!!...Are all your calculators
broken????

bahnstormer
03-23-2006, 10:24 AM
not exactly true
u can't simply divide by the number of homes
they have to repair roads and facilities too

=\

632 Regal
03-23-2006, 01:25 PM
roads paved with gold?
not exactly true
u can't simply divide by the number of homes
they have to repair roads and facilities too

=\

SRR2
03-23-2006, 02:01 PM
A billion seconds ago it was 1959.

Hmmm. So by the time you hit middle age, your heart has beat about a billion times. No wonder so many people fall over dead from worn out hearts.

Evan
03-23-2006, 02:11 PM
out with the incumbents... vote against every incumbent... every election. get a newer, less experienced crook in office

kyleN20
03-23-2006, 02:39 PM
pretty kwazy, they trying to make the sweetest town on earth or what?

MBXB
03-23-2006, 03:05 PM
One MILLION Seconds = 11.57 DAYS

One BILLION Seconds = 31.68 YEARS!

Zeuk in Oz
03-23-2006, 04:51 PM
$516,528.00.

broken????
Interesting !

Cyclone Larry that decimated a small part of Queensland last week is the subject of our latest aid debacle. Major banana and sugar cane growing area.

By the way, the US offered assistance but our federal government declined it.

No need, our beaurocrats have everything in hand ! ! !

People have had to queue up for hours in the rain to fill out a 9 page asset and income form to receive AUD 150.00 hand out - a hundred bucks US !!!!!!

Can you believe it ?

Edit : Forgot to mention that they also had to declare what they were planning to spend the money on - talk about an insult !

632 Regal
03-23-2006, 05:17 PM
its better then your government throwing money at everything in site.

Interesting !

Cyclone Larry that decimated a small part of Queensland last week is the subject of our latest aid debacle. Major banana and sugar cane growing area.

People have had to queue up for hours in the rain to fill out a 9 page asset and income form to receive AUD 150.00 hand out - a hundred bucks US !!!!!!

Can you believe it ?

Zeuk in Oz
03-23-2006, 05:28 PM
its better then your government throwing money at everything in site.
Perhaps there might be a happy middle ground.
What galls me is that we routinely give approx AUD $ 1 billion in aid to Pacific nations annually but insult our own people.
Who said "charity begins at home" ?

Alexlind123
03-23-2006, 05:50 PM
Not only that, but when you consider that most of these people in new orleans previously lived in shacks and had been living off of welfare their entire life, it make the situation a whole lot more desparate. By spending billions to rebuild new orleans, putting the people back in their homes, and start sending welfare check to them again, it just renews the cycle of destruction. With government handouts floting them through life, these people have no sense of working hard to get ahead (or in many cases working at all) or responsibility.

We dont need to give these people a free pass to life, we dont need to give them other people's hard earned cash. What we do need to do is let them figure some things out on their own and hope that some may discover what it means to earn their own money.

632 Regal
03-23-2006, 06:39 PM
Hahaha....you would never win in any office because you are right.

Not only that, but when you consider that most of these people in new orleans previously lived in shacks and had been living off of welfare their entire life, it make the situation a whole lot more desparate. By spending billions to rebuild new orleans, putting the people back in their homes, and start sending welfare check to them again, it just renews the cycle of destruction. With government handouts floting them through life, these people have no sense of working hard to get ahead (or in many cases working at all) or responsibility.

We dont need to give these people a free pass to life, we dont need to give them other people's hard earned cash. What we do need to do is let them figure some things out on their own and hope that some may discover what it means to earn their own money.

angrypancake
03-23-2006, 06:48 PM
getting back on the OT of this thread, i wonder if i can wack it a billion times in my lifetime.

Lennyz525i
03-23-2006, 06:50 PM
Hmmm. So by the time you hit middle age, your heart has beat about a billion times. No wonder so many people fall over dead from worn out hearts.

We all need to exercise less!

rob101
03-23-2006, 07:39 PM
Interesting !

Can you believe it ?

Edit : Forgot to mention that they also had to declare what they were planning to spend the money on - talk about an insult !
yeah thats what happens when you get centrelink involved in anything. Kill all the bastards. To solve that problem we need a night of the long knifes to exterminate the last vestiges of that organisation (centrelink) where ever their foul defiling ways have taken root they should be destroyed......... then we can live in a better australia.

winfred
03-23-2006, 08:42 PM
pussy and beer

Forgot to mention that they also had to declare what they were planning to spend the money on - talk about an insult ! [/I]

kyleN20
03-23-2006, 09:43 PM
true bahn, but what if the just said screw it, split the money in half and give every family a million and send the to another state with more jobs and they can buy a **** home?

Rustam
03-23-2006, 10:44 PM
$516,528.00.

broken????

absurd... total nonsense!

Alexlind123
03-23-2006, 10:52 PM
And these same people who are pushing the spending to rebuild are probably the same ones critisizing the president for overspending...

Andrem5
03-23-2006, 11:01 PM
This brain-disengaged thread ranks #1 among the many other threads here that end my desire to ever return to this weird board.

winfred
03-23-2006, 11:09 PM
bye

This brain-disengaged thread ranks #1 among the many other threads here that end my desire to ever return to this weird board.

Zeuk in Oz
03-23-2006, 11:15 PM
Is this a California thing ? :D

We seem to have dropped off a few west coasters recently !

I put it down to the Groucho Marx theory : would never be a member of any club who would have him as a member. :p

KenB
03-23-2006, 11:32 PM
Speakin' of California, it reminds me...

As the inimitable Frank Zappa wrote about Californians...and he was one of them born and raised. I only lived there for 7 years.:D

(It's just a joke kiddies...)

Flakes! flakes!

They don’t do no good
They never be workin’
When they oughta should
They waste your time
They’re wastin’ mine
California’s got the most of them
Boy, they got a host of them

Flakes! flakes!

They can’t fix yer brakes
You ask ’em, where’s my motor?
Well, it was eaten by snakes...
You can stab ’n’ shoot ’n’ spit
But they won’t be fixin’ it
They’re lyin’ an’ lazy
They can be drivin’ you crazy

632 Regal
03-24-2006, 02:11 AM
knight, see ya ummm....never?

angrypancake
03-24-2006, 02:34 AM
who was that guy? no sense of humor or appreciation for that which is OT....

632 Regal
03-24-2006, 02:37 AM
huh?

who was that guy? did he ever contribute?

angrypancake
03-24-2006, 02:41 AM

^ that guy. how can you not like it here?! :p

632 Regal
03-24-2006, 02:43 AM
no clue but if he is unhappy now wait till we pick on him.

^ that guy. how can you not like it here?! :p

angrypancake
03-24-2006, 02:46 AM
but whats the fun of picking on someone who already left?

sKilled
03-24-2006, 08:31 AM
Are we talking US billion, or English billion?

rob101
03-24-2006, 08:46 AM
sounds like another Uber m5 driver, sorry we can't aspire to the degree of brain-engagement of yourself........ perhaps we don't really care because if you don't like a thread then DON'T READ IT. or perhaps that is too obvious... perhaps you should take a conselling session and talk about your feelings, we won't talk about random stuff we'll make those mean and nasty OT threads go away........ or perhaps you can remove yourself from the fetal position and call a civil engineer to design and build you a bridge and get over it

dacoyote
03-24-2006, 08:49 AM

Don't let the door hit you on the way out....

sKilled
03-24-2006, 08:59 AM
I'd like to rephrase that...don't let me hit you with the door on your way out. Gosh......idiot. Can't take a joke.

rob101
03-24-2006, 09:01 AM
perhaps we should post a sticky regarding the fact that if you are leaving the board, hurry up and get lost don't waste time telling us we don't care!:p

sKilled
03-24-2006, 09:04 AM
perhaps we should post a sticky regarding the fact that if you are leaving the board, hurry up and get lost don't waste time telling us we don't care!:p

Like the guy who posted some longwinded "you don't respect Islam I hate you all" thread. WTF? Just leave already.

BTW how's it looking with that supercharging plan?

angrypancake
03-24-2006, 11:15 AM
sounds like another Uber m5 driver, sorry we can't aspire to the degree of brain-engagement of yourself........ perhaps we don't really care because if you don't like a thread then DON'T READ IT. or perhaps that is too obvious... perhaps you should take a conselling session and talk about your feelings, we won't talk about random stuff we'll make those mean and nasty OT threads go away........ or perhaps you can remove yourself from the fetal position and call a civil engineer to design and build you a bridge and get over it

"cry me a river, build a bridge, and get the **** over it"

dacoyote
03-24-2006, 01:23 PM
... perhaps you should take a conselling session and talk about your feelings,

Or PM gayle....

dacoyote
03-24-2006, 01:29 PM
A billion is also about the number of sperm you would blow out after 25 trips to happy town...

Or about the number of times Jeff jerks off in a night....

632 Regal
03-24-2006, 01:32 PM
quick recovery.
A billion is also about the number of sperm you would blow out after 25 trips to happy town...

Or about the number of times Jeff jerks off in a night....

dacoyote
03-24-2006, 01:35 PM
quick recovery.

You know.. they got drugs for that... I feel bad for your woman.....

632 Regal
03-24-2006, 01:38 PM
chicks dig it

dacoyote
03-24-2006, 01:41 PM
chicks dig it

Not when you go off in 30 seconds boy....

At least that's according to your woman

angrypancake
03-24-2006, 01:56 PM
chicks dig it

do they dig your super diesel right forearm?

SharkmanBMW
03-24-2006, 06:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob101

Or PM gayle....

LMFAO !!! Good one Dude!

SharkmanBMW
03-24-2006, 06:32 PM

BU BYE!!!

rob101
03-25-2006, 08:19 AM
Like the guy who posted some longwinded "you don't respect Islam I hate you all" thread. WTF? Just leave already.

BTW how's it looking with that supercharging plan?
lol jon convinced me that the turbo would be better..... so yeah probably go that way, i think it really depends on who's in the know in this state, there are some good workshops for bimmer performance stuff but they tend to be in sydney or melbourne. so we'll see..... also depends on what else needs money spent on it :p ie women and e28 (surprisingly similar in their attractiveness yet high maintanence) etc. plus i work with old dudes who keep telling me to sink some money in mining shares and unfortunately my brain sees their logic :( as the commodities boom isn't going to last forever in australia!

and yes it is exactly like that islam bs dude!

duby55
03-25-2006, 12:39 PM
Man, this is the best forum, I just learned so much from this like how big a billion is, what money is good for and how woman like more than 30 seconds. I have to remember all this but I might have a hard time with the less than billion brain cells I have left. You guys are funny . Thanks

SharkmanBMW
03-25-2006, 01:08 PM
if you enjoyed this thread, then be sure not to miss the Way Off Topic section here...
http://www.bimmer.info/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=29

Rodericb
03-25-2006, 01:08 PM

I take it from you ignorant ass comments that you either have never been to New Orleans or that you believe everything that you see on TV. This wasn't like 9/11 where a building was destroyed, an entire city was destroyed including some of the surrounding parishes. Everything was destroyed. Wanna know why everything was destroyed, well I'll tell you. It was destroyed because Bush cut the funding that was intended to build the levees to the correct specs. It was destroyed because the corp of engineers did not even bother to make sure that they were building on solid ground. The people that are back in the city now, the ones who are asking for assistance are the same people who were told that they didn't need flood insurance and lost everything. As for the folks that you are talking about, they are ones who have not yet returned to the city. I'm not going to get into a pissing match with you on this because quite frankly, your comment are both insulting and enlightning at the same time because they reveal your ignorance on the topic. The next time you feel compelled to comment on something you know dick about, you may want to think twice.
I'm from New Orleans but I was one of the lucky ones and didn't lose anything. However, the rest of my siblings lost everything. I wonder if you would be looking for some assistance if you lost everything and had insurance companies refusing to pay your claim and the government telling you that you can't rebuild your house until they make up thier minds on the new regs....which by the way 10 months later, they still have not.

Zeuk in Oz
03-25-2006, 02:44 PM
Ignorance is truly bliss

Now let me see.... Do we build a city above sea level or below sea level ......

Of course - below sea level.

I wonder what the definition of ignorance is ????? I think that might come close !

Rodericb
03-25-2006, 04:33 PM
Now let me see.... Do we build a city above sea level or below sea level ......

Of course - below sea level.

I wonder what the definition of ignorance is ????? I think that might come close !

About as ignorant as building next to a volcano, building on top of a fault line, building in an area of the country that is prone to tornados. building on a penal colony...take your pick. The ignorance referred to was the lack of knowledge displayed in the original post concerning the people in the city of New Orleans. It seems there's no shortage of ignorance around especially since the people who first settled in what is now New Orleans had no idea or instruments to tell them that the city was below sea level. I guess you guys must know each other because your comments have something in common: Ignorance.

Zeuk in Oz
03-25-2006, 05:58 PM
About as ignorant as building next to a volcano, building on top of a fault line, building in an area of the country that is prone to tornados. building on a penal colony...take your pick. The ignorance referred to was the lack of knowledge displayed in the original post concerning the people in the city of New Orleans. It seems there's no shortage of ignorance around especially since the people who first settled in what is now New Orleans had no idea or instruments to tell them that the city was below sea level. I guess you guys must know each other because your comments have something in common: Ignorance.
So don't Americans learn from mistakes ?

Hang on there was Vietnam and now there is Iraq - of course you don't.

Why would you rebuild New Orleans where it is without filling everything in and starting again - or better still, build it somewhere else that is above sea level?

Edit : oops - should have questioned whether American "politicians" learn from mistakes. No offence intended unless George W is reading this - PM me and I'll tell you what a goose you are !

SharkmanBMW
03-25-2006, 06:50 PM
So don't Americans learn from mistakes ?

Hang on there was Vietnam and now there is Iraq - of course you don't.

Why would you rebuild New Orleans where it is without filling everything in and starting again - or better still, build it somewhere else that is above sea level?

I have to agree with our Australian friend on this one... why make the same mistake again... over and over?

NIf they are going to rebuild, should it not be done properly so the devastation does not happen again?!!!

If you leave it up to your useless leaders, you, unfortunately, will be no farther ahead! It seems obvious that the government does not really give a crap about anyone down there... you are on your own, sad but true!

Rodericb, glad you made it through unscathed, best wishes to your family.

angrypancake
03-25-2006, 06:53 PM
this is why we need a way way OT. i enjoy political discussions, and hearing other people's views. we should def have a section dedicated to politics, war talk, hmm and porn.

supposedly theyre trying to rebuild "the right way" this time. only time will tell, and they are rushing to finish by a deadline. but by rushing, mistakes are more likely? aw ****... i second that sharkman, glad to head rodericb made it, and hope that things get better for the family

Zeuk in Oz
03-25-2006, 07:10 PM
this is why we need a way way OT. i enjoy political discussions, and hearing other people's views. we should def have a section dedicated to politics, war talk, hmm and porn.

I disagree.

Nothing wrong with this thread on the main page because this way everyone sees it.

Then if they are not interested they just ignore it ! :)

Simple !

dacoyote
03-25-2006, 09:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob101

LMFAO !!! Good one Dude!

Thanks man.....

Rodericb
03-25-2006, 11:14 PM
I have to agree with our Australian friend on this one... why make the same mistake again... over and over?

NIf they are going to rebuild, should it not be done properly so the devastation does not happen again?!!!

If you leave it up to your useless leaders, you, unfortunately, will be no farther ahead! It seems obvious that the government does not really give a crap about anyone down there... you are on your own, sad but true!

Rodericb, glad you made it through unscathed, best wishes to your family.

Thanks for the kind words from everyone. I made it through fine although my e34 did get some water in it. I'm currently in the process of getting it back on the road. ;)

In any case, I'm biased on the subject of rather to rebuild New Orleans or not. To me it shouldn't even be a question as to whether or not it should be rebuilt. If our government can spend billions of our tax dollars to rebuild a city in a foreign country (read Iraq) then there should be no question as to rebuilding New Orleans. Besides from being a major import/export center for the nation, it is also a strategic location. The nations oil reserves are stored in south Louisiana salt domes. Additionally, had Reagan, Bush, Clinton and George "I don't have a clue" W.Bush not cut the funding for the levee system to be built properly, we would not be having this conversation. My main beef was with the insinuation that all of the folks of New Orleans were welfare recipients living in shacks and looking for handouts. To make a blanket statement like that is callous and just plain dumb in my opinion.

632 Regal
03-26-2006, 12:52 AM
and shows how everone reads it... thinking back I would have chopped the la part and left the subject part in it.

I disagree.

Nothing wrong with this thread on the main page because this way everyone sees it.

Then if they are not interested they just ignore it ! :)

Simple !