PDA

View Full Version : Metrinch Tools

JMI
03-22-2006, 02:33 PM
After checking out the prices for shop repairs and maintenance decide a Bentleys manual was needed along with some metric tools.
Any opinions on Metrinch tools that fit metric and inch size bolts and stuff?

http://www.metrinch-tools.com/

Jim

califblue
03-22-2006, 02:41 PM
Just ask yourself what mechanic uses them...

Blitzkrieg Bob
03-22-2006, 02:52 PM
to do a good job.

I use Craftsman for most of the work (good lifetime warrenty), but have some Snap-on and other brands for speciality tools.

SRR2
03-22-2006, 03:09 PM
If you're only an occasional mechanic, and have a checkbook somewhere south of Bill Gates', give Harbor Freight a try. If you get on their mailing list, they'll send you lots of sale flyers and %-off emailed coupons. Their stuff isn't Snap-On quality, but it's a lot less expensive. Most of their hand tools carry a 'lifetime' warranty. Toolbox for toolbox, you'll spend half at HF than you'd spend at Sears, and a third that you'd spend at Snap-On.

BobHarris
03-22-2006, 03:39 PM
I have some metrinch spanners that were bought for me as a gift. They are a compromise because they don't really fit either metric or imperial sizes particularly well. I would give the same advise as the others.

HTH

All the best

Bob

joshua43214
03-22-2006, 04:03 PM
The smaller the fitting, the more important the fit. If you are on a tight budget get a big set from oddlots,harbor freight,etc. replace the small stuff,8,10,12mm sockets and wrenchs with the professional sears stuff at the absolute minimun. I would recomend replaceing 8-17 sockets and wrenchs with the absolute best you can afford, sears proffessional the min standard. If you feel rich, a set of Snap On flank drive plus wrench's. I have used the 10mm open end wrench to remove rounded off nuts more than once. Do not use a cheap click type torque wrench, get an old fashioned duel bar model, even the cheap ones are usualy accurate. cheap tools that round off nuts are false economy. Almost every rounded off nut I have ever seen was caused by a poorly fitting tool used by an inexperienced person.

JMI
03-22-2006, 05:18 PM
Was just curious. Craftsman is what I usually buy. So off to Sears I go.

Thanks

632 Regal
03-23-2006, 12:35 AM
make sure you get 6 point sockets and wrenches along with them 12 point deals that strip everything in sight.