PDA

View Full Version : M30 Starter Replacement

Mitch90535im
03-22-2006, 01:44 PM
Would some of you other DIY guys give me a 1-10 assessment of how difficult a starter remove/replace will be?

Mitch90535im
03-22-2006, 03:19 PM
A quick followup please, do you replace the starter from the top or the bottom? In other words, when I roll-start my car in the parking lot after work this afternoon and drive home, do I need to pull it up on ramps before I turn it off for the last time prior to replacing the starter? I'm asking because once I get it home and pull into the the driveway I will not be able to roll-start it again before replacing the starter, not will I have a way to get it up on ramps if I don't do so before stopping the engine.

Jeff N.
03-22-2006, 04:06 PM
My observations...

- you can do it from the top or the bottom. It's a bit of reach either way. I think having access from the bottom will help. Bottom access is not a requirement however.
- be very sure to get the power disconnected before you start, mark all the wires you pull from the solenoid, etc.
- you'll need some reasonable sockets and extensions to get in to the starter bolts, plan to work around the brake booster, manifold brace, oil canister, throttle cables...blah blah blah.

Generally, this is not a hard job but the access is a bit cramped. I think you'll have 3 nuts to undo for wiring and 2 starter mounting bolts to deal with. Access from the bottom may help you save your back but you'll still have to reach up pretty high.

zygoteer
03-22-2006, 07:29 PM
I did mine from the top - took me about 50 mins to change - but was not in a hurry.

Disconnect the battery.
Remove the 3 terminals (note where they go back).
Unscrew the coolant header tank and move to one side for access to bolts (no need to drain).
I used a flat plane ring spanner (needs patience) for one bolt and socket with extensions for the other.

To get the bolts back in straight can be tricky, as you need to support the weight.
Everything else is straightforward.

Mitch90535im
03-25-2006, 01:15 PM
Man, what a bitch of a job. I didn't think the wifey was ever going to finish it. Who designed such a ****ed-up place to put a starter?

As a future reference for anyone who might need to replace a starter on the m30, the realooem diagram which shows nuts for the two mounting bolts which is incorrect. The starter mounts via machine-threaded bolts, without nuts.

Good job baby !! Great price and quick service from BMA, thanks also to Patrick.

Well that makes two things I've had to do th the car outside of normal maintenance in the 5 years I've owned her. First a radiator, now the starter, - What a money-pit.