PDA

View Full Version : New E34 535 owner couple of questions

fletberbill
03-22-2006, 01:28 PM
Hi all

I have been (dare i say it) a Saab 9000 Turbo driver for the last couple of years.

anyway i fancied a change and just under 4 weeks ago i bought a 1988 535 i SE for the total amount of £650. Its done 155000 miles and has history upto about 140000 miles.

When i bought it It had only done about 200 - 300 miles since its last MOT in November, so not many miles done in 3 months.

Now for the question.

When i bought it the engine sounded great but now i have a what sounds like rattling tappets to me, the car is in need of a service and an oil change.

The car goes very well but im concerned oil isnt getting to the parts where it should be getting. when i start on a cold morning the oil light does not go out for 3 to 4 seconds(is this normal) also i have noticed my oil filler cap is slightly damaged, would this affect oil pressure?

I' going to change the oil and filter at the week end, should i use an engine flush? and what type grade of oil should i use.

By the way what i car i am totally converted to bmw now the performance of this thing makes my saab turbo look like an old mini in comparison.

great forum and i look forward to your help

joshua43214
03-22-2006, 01:56 PM
Rather than get into a discussion of what oils to use, just look in the owners manual and use what it recomends, even if there are better oils, you can't go wrong using Castrol. Flushing crankcases for the most part is a nice way of helping shop owners make huose payments, its kinda like "winterizing". Regular oil changes with a quality oil is all the flushing you need. Your model if I remember right(M30 engine?) was plagued by a failing check valve in the oil filter houseing, causing the oil to drain back into the crankcase and low oil pressure at start up. Make sure you really have the correct oil filter, I've seen the fast oil change shops install the incorrect filter far too many times to count. Warm the car up, then park it overnight, remove the oil filter cap and if its empty, you need a new housing, about $270.00 + labor. As long as the cap doesn't leak, a ding or 2 won't hurt it.

Jake Casson
03-22-2006, 03:35 PM
Its prob just in need of a good oil change, flush would be a good idea and maybe even use 2 as they hold 5.8 ls. Let the oil drain out for as long as poss (a good few hours).

Sounds to me if it could do with the valve clearances being done (about 40 mins labour) although these engines sound slightly tappy, they shouldn't sound more when cold.

When do you think was the last oil change then?

And use 10w-40 oil. Notice you'll from the UK like me, rare on this forum....!

Might be an idea to change the filler cap, from breakers or just go to BMW.

piman
03-22-2006, 08:33 PM
Your valve lash is needing an adjustment. 12000/inch setting. I use 5w30 regular in my 1990 535i. Works fine. Get block compression tested (for starters)to see if you have a weak spot.

632 Regal
03-22-2006, 11:39 PM
change your oil first, most of the seasoned BMW owners here are using Mobil 1 0w-40 synthetic these days because it is far superior than any dino oil. Get the new filter and make sure it is correct before draining the oil (hmpff). see what it sounds like with the good oil in there and then do a valve adjustment and you should be good to go.

Never use a flush on a car you are unsure of maintenence, you can loosen enough crap to clog the oil pickup if its a dirty engine.

The part of it not making noise when you bought it and it is now leads me to think someone stuck some temporary additive in the oil to help silence valves in need of adjustment.

fletberbill
03-23-2006, 02:03 AM
Thanks for the replies guys. i will see what happens afteran oil and filter change at the weekend.

you all mention valve clearence adjustment??

how do you do that and is it a big job?

fletberbill
03-24-2006, 01:44 AM
Hi,

Don't want to sound stupid but probably am:D

Is the oil filter inside the casing next to the dipstick?

ArtemLepilov
03-24-2006, 01:48 AM
http://www.bmwe34.net/E34main/Maintenance/Engine/valve_adjust.htm

Valve adjustment

Welcome to the board :D

-Artem

Zeuk in Oz
03-24-2006, 01:55 AM
Hi,

Don't want to sound stupid but probably am:D

Is the oil filter inside the casing next to the dipstick?

See : http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=HD23&mospid=47408&btnr=11_0480&hg=11&fg=30

Edit : Welcome by the way. May I suggest that purchasing a Bentley manual is a wise investment - from www.amazon.com of even www.bmaparts.com

fletberbill
03-24-2006, 12:26 PM
Thanks for the replies guys.

i have noticed over the last two days that the tapping/ticking noise is more prominent when the car is warm. could this indicate anything?

fletberbill
03-26-2006, 01:55 PM
Right i have done an oil and filter change today.

I used 5w-40 fully synthetic oil

i had a good run of about 150 miles today and the noise hasent changed :(

but luckily my partners younger brother is in his second year of training to be a mechanic. So next weekend we are going to have a go at the valve adjustments.

So hopefully we will cure this annoying noise next week.

any idea on what i can expect to pay for the rocker cover gasket?

thanks again for all the help and advice. You have all been a great help.

more questions coming soon :D

Jake Casson
03-26-2006, 02:27 PM
Gasket, will be a few pounds from your local motor factor. Coolent changes are very important on these. minimum of every two years, it shouldnt be "rust" coloured....?

fletberbill
04-04-2006, 10:11 AM
Quick update for you.

did the valve check/adjustment on Sunday.

Unfortunately the the inlet cam lobe on cylinder 1 is worn hence the rattle:(

bullyd
04-04-2006, 02:43 PM
welcome to the board! where abouts in uk are you?

fletberbill
04-04-2006, 02:48 PM
welcome to the board! where abouts in uk are you?

Thanks.

North Wales