PDA

View Full Version : About checking auto tranny fluid

Hypr5
03-22-2006, 12:18 AM
Hello,

I know that for checking the auto tranny fluid, it is best to do it at a certain temperature. I read on the chart at bmwe34.net that the temperature is between 30 and 50C and they recommend doing it closer to 30C so it holds a little bit extra, but if you have no way of checking the fluid temp, how long should one let the car run?

I just let it idle for approx 15 minutes. From experience, on a totally cold start, around what temp range would that bring it up to? Is it best to check it again later, but at a lil less idle-time?

Thanks!

Bill R.
03-22-2006, 12:24 AM
Hello,

I know that for checking the auto tranny fluid, it is best to do it at a certain temperature. I read on the chart at bmwe34.net that the temperature is between 30 and 50C and they recommend doing it closer to 30C so it holds a little bit extra, but if you have no way of checking the fluid temp, how long should one let the car run?

I just let it idle for approx 15 minutes. From experience, on a totally cold start, around what temp range would that bring it up to? Is it best to check it again later, but at a lil less idle-time?

Thanks!

Hypr5
03-22-2006, 12:26 AM
Approx. 55 degrees F

Alexlind123
03-22-2006, 12:42 AM
Im not sure on the exact time, but you will probably want to shift from reverse to nuetral to drive a few time. Driving it down your driveway might be a good idea as well. Sorry i cant help you on the temp thing :(

Bill R.
03-22-2006, 01:17 AM
dipstick should be warm to the touch but not uncomfortably so.Thats usually a pretty close estimate of the right temp with your ambient

Approx. 55 degrees F

Hypr5
03-22-2006, 02:56 AM
No dipstick. :( I WISH it were that easy. I'm tired of getting under there to check the fluid. It has a leak from the fill plug that I can't seem to get taken care of. very odd. have to check it frequently.

Hypr5
03-22-2006, 02:58 AM
Thanks for that advice, I didn't drive it, but I did shift through all the gears about 2 times. I just know that when its warm, even if it's a bit low, it will give a false "full" reading. :( I don't want to overfill it either, though!

I want a dipstick in it. lol

Hypr5
03-22-2006, 04:14 AM
Also, since I'm really unsure of the temperature, how bad would it be if I overfilled the thing by a "few pumps" of the hand fluid pump. I imagine a pump is just 2 - 3 oz or so.

Hypr5
03-22-2006, 12:00 PM
bump before work. :D

632 Regal
03-23-2006, 12:47 AM
hyper,

get the thing level up in the air very safely, make sure the car isnt gonna fall off if you have stands....

get the correct hex to remove the filler from underneath... trans should be warm to the touch as you hold your hand on the trans pan, if its comfy its not hot enough, if its hardly bearable its the right temperature to unbolt the filler to check.

Make sure you have the car idling, run with the brake on through all the gears and then put it back in park. Then go under and check/fill...it's a chore but with no leaks its good till the next 30k filter change.

Hypr5
03-23-2006, 03:26 AM
Hey man.. thanks.

I think I finally got that fill plug leak taken care of. (hopefully) soo hopefully this will be the last time doing this.

So just to be clear... while it's still cold, it's good if no fluid comes out, but it starts a little stream when warm, right?

I'll re-check with this advice in the morning. Thanks again. :)