PDA

View Full Version : 1.5 months only and this!!! Oh man!!

theurig
03-21-2006, 06:13 PM
I have had the pleasure of being welcomed to this great forum, so allow me to vent!!!!!!!! I bought my wagon about a month and half ago. The car has been really well maintained. I got all the records from day one in a binder. Anyway this past weekend the left rear self leveling shock went out and leaked all fluid so my steering wheel was also really hard !!! I pick it up hopefully tommorrow the part is $685.00 and this is a dealer part, ain't nobody else got It, plus don't forget the labour!!!! I am a convert from as one member said (the dark side-Mercedes.) Not really complaining and can't wait to get my car back. But the freaking shock couldn't give me 6 months or something. I just bought the car for crying out loud.!!!! Anyone else have any horror stories on the self leveling suspension, I would like to hear I am not the only one.

Scott H
03-21-2006, 06:17 PM
and chances are it was just the accumulators. I have a good set of shocks and accumulators from my 1992 525iT......you should have posted to the board before opening your wallet!

I have had the pleasure of being welcomed to this great forum, so allow me to vent!!!!!!!! I bought my wagon about a month and half ago. The car has been really well maintained. I got all the records from day one in a binder. Anyway this past weekend the left rear self leveling shock went out and leaked all fluid so my steering wheel was also really hard !!! I pick it up hopefully tommorrow the part is $685.00 and this is a dealer part, ain't nobody else got It, plus don't forget the labour!!!! I am a convert from as one member said (the dark side-Mercedes.) Not really complaining and can't wait to get my car back. But the freaking shock couldn't give me 6 months or something. I just bought the car for crying out loud.!!!! Anyone else have any horror stories on the self leveling suspension, I would like to hear I am not the only one.

E34 530
03-21-2006, 06:59 PM
For how much that costs, why don't you just convert to some lowering springs??

laguner
03-21-2006, 07:30 PM
Grasshopper, read everything on this site and then you will know! Ha Ha

http://www.bmwe34.net/e34main/Maintenance/E34Touring/Suspensions.htm

Self Level Elimination:

As it turns out, BavAuto has instructions on their website for how to implement the Self Level Elim kits that they sell. Instructions are found in a PDF file at http://www.bavauto.com/inst/E32e34ElimKits.pdf. The instructions look pretty straightforward regarding the removal of the system. Look at your Bentley Manual for other information not included in the Self Level Elim Instructions including (but not limited to) de-pressurizing the system, spring/shock removal and refilling/bleeding the system.

Paul at Maximillian Imports quoted me $125 for a self level elimination kit that includes upper shock mounts, spring dampener pads, buffer stops, lock nuts, dust sleeves and upper mount paper seals. This would be desirable to avoid destroying the rear upper shock mounts when the new standard shocks are installed.

theurig
03-21-2006, 08:14 PM
Aiii ya yai ya yai !!! I guess I live and learn !! I'll call the shop first thing in the morning and find out if it is too late.

Kalevera
03-21-2006, 08:53 PM
That's actually a good price on a rear lad shock. I always thought they were $900/each in parts alone.

Personally, I think the self leveling system is great, even worth keeping at the cost of maintenance. I've driven a few cars with different types of eliminations, and they've all sucked. Could be that they were all poorly maintained, who knows, but my assertion still stands. Keep the LAD.

best, whit

SharkmanBMW
03-21-2006, 09:15 PM
I had to have a tranny rebuild 30 days after getting my 540!

Elekta
03-21-2006, 09:39 PM
That's actually a good price on a rear lad shock. I always thought they were $900/each in parts alone.

Personally, I think the self leveling system is great, even worth keeping at the cost of maintenance. I've driven a few cars with different types of eliminations, and they've all sucked. Could be that they were all poorly maintained, who knows, but my assertion still stands. Keep the LAD.

best, whit

2nd that emotion

genphreak
03-21-2006, 10:45 PM
2nd that emotionMe too, seems like a damned good idea- especially in a touring, but I'd love to have it. Sure its complex, thus needs to be maintained- I'm sure the cost'd be worth the benefit. Its a pity LAD doesn;t allow you to remove the rear sway bar though... I always thought they could have done that to save weight if they'd done it a bit defferently.

genphreak
03-21-2006, 10:47 PM
Like all good girlfriends, these cars start training you early... but at least they are very rewarding!

theurig
03-23-2006, 07:17 PM
Alright brothers and sisters ????!!! I got her back today. Decided to keep the LAD. She rides great just like before. I ended up having to replace the shock and some hose. The explanation that Robi (my tech) gave was that it looked like it had been leaking slowly for a while and finally gave in. Kind of funny but I did notice that the left side of the car was a little lower than the right, but never paid much attention before. I sure is glad to have her back.This weekend she gets a full detail, so I can take some pictures to put on my signature on this great forum!!!! Thanks for all your input folks.

Tell me something: On the description when I bought the car, he says he replaced the air bladders for the self leveling, I asssume he means the accumulators ? I got to look through the records in the car.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=4607098073&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT

632 Regal
03-23-2006, 08:20 PM
sweet lookin ride! drop the front a bit and it would be more sporty.

JMO

nice