PDA

View Full Version : *clunk* sound coming from rear of car

miliue
03-21-2006, 05:03 PM
When I go over even moderately rough asphalt (pot holes, frost surges, and other small bumps in the road) there is a very noticeable *clunk* sound coming from the rear of the car.

The sound is kind of unpredictable, sometimes I hit a bump and expect a clunk but there's no sound at all, and sometimes I hit a tiny bump that I don't think will bother the car, yet there is the clunk sound.

I recently took the car in for its Inspection II and my mechanic (who works solely on BMWs) said he didn't see anything wrong with the suspension when I asked him about it. He did say that I need new tranny mounts, because the stock mounts are starting to rust out. Could that be the problem?

My gut feeling is that it's something to do with the suspension, but I really have no idea what it could be. I haven't done any suspension mods, everything is (original) stock.

The car drives fine otherwise. Any ideas? I can provide any additional info that you might need since I've pretty much got full records on the car. Thanks!

SRR2
03-21-2006, 05:07 PM
I'll bet you a pizza that it's the sway bar links. They can be hard to spot because if there's any tension on the bar at all, they'll look tight. You have to sit the car so all pressure on the sway bar is relieved and then you can feel whether they're loose or not. Crawl under it and have someone put some pressure on one side or the other to tilt it slightly until the bar loosens.

clhorton
03-21-2006, 06:05 PM
I had the same problem with mine and it was the sway bar links. So yeah look at that first.

miliue
03-21-2006, 06:10 PM
Cool. I'll try to check that out then. Thanks dudes.