PDA

View Full Version : ok, what is the trick to removing the radio?

tpierce
03-21-2006, 02:57 PM
If you remember a few days ago, i posted i just bought a '92 525i. I need to remove the radio to get the number off of it, so i can hopefully get the radio code for it. Here is the trick, i can't figure out how to get the radio out. I searched the forum and other sites and have found nothing. The radio is NOT a cassette player that i have seen, it has an opening, but is too large and thin for a regular cassette, but too thick for a CD player. The front of the radio has no holes for the tools to pull it out. Do i have to tear apart the dash? Any help is appreciated. If needed, i can take a picture of the radio tommarrrow.

mholbrook
03-21-2006, 03:21 PM
The trick is that you need the special 5-sided tool that removes the radio. There are two small access doors, one on each side of the radio surround. Use your fingernail or small screwdriver/pick to open the doors. Since you probably do not have the special 5-sided tool, you will have to experiment with a small hex (allen) wrench being careful not to strip it out. Usually if you push slightly on the radio while turning the small allen wrench counterclockwise, you can easily release the radio.

Get the number off the top of the radio and write it in your owners manual as well as the code when you get that.

There was a time when people would steal a BMW radio but I'm pretty sure those days are long past (unless it is a business CD).

Blitzkrieg Bob
03-21-2006, 03:23 PM
each side of the face of the radio.

carefully pry them open and using a tiny Torx driver loosen the mounting screws. Oh, yeah...the screws don't need to come out, they will relase the radio from the mount and it'll just pop out.

Good luck

JonE
03-21-2006, 03:31 PM
If no little plastic access "doors" for the five sided screws, then better send a pic and hope that someone recognizes it.

Blitzkrieg Bob
03-21-2006, 03:39 PM
[The radio is NOT a cassette player that i have seen, it has an opening, but is too large and thin for a regular cassette, but too thick for a CD player.

Hey, I got some old tapes you can have....Elvis, Black Sabbath, Pink Floyd Etc.

Evan
03-22-2006, 02:28 PM
it looks like a regular cassette player... and it looks like the trim needs to come off before the screws show... i could be wrong of course...