PDA

View Full Version : clean my beams?

bigtallsam
03-21-2006, 12:33 PM
hi all!

i'd like to go about cleaning my headlights especially the dipped baems (ellipsoids?) as 160k miles has taken its toll on my reflectors and their looking a bit milky - full beam seems ok

i did a few searches and found a link to a pdf in german but i'm a bit unsure

it appears you can gain access to the lense by removing 2-4 screws behind the headlamp cover via the engine bay, is this right?

thanks

s

laguner
03-21-2006, 07:07 PM
http://www.bmwe34.net/e34main/upgrade/more_light.htm Try this. I did and it helped. See the bottom of the page too. Cleaning will help.

This from the E-36 site. They say to remove the light but I'm not sure you couldn't do it in place with a coat hanger if you removed the bulb.

You'll need clean titrated water to dilute *glass-cleaning* liquid - they come in many brands. Next, you'll need a length of *steel* wire about 1/8th" thk. Formed it to a contour of the reflector on one end and the lens on the other end - long enough to grab it in the centre. Make sure you file/polish the ends round and smooth.

Now, get strips of *fluff-free* clean/new cloth - preferably cotton and tightly wrap the whole length of the *formed steel wire* such that they are thicker along the 2-3 inch length on both ends. Try to insert the ends thro the bulb socket - easier if the lights uses H4, tight fit if H1.

The process of cleaning is such that you wet the tool made, just sufficiently moist - not dripping, and insert - clean! It will take some effort until you get the best result. Change the strip of *fluff-free* cotton strips regularly during the cleaning process.
The reflector score easily - so do be gently!

I had been doing such things all along. <grin> Of course, if the lens too *blurred* due to chippings, replace with new... easier!
Cheers!

ps. If the rubber protective caps that seal the bulb over the light socket looks aged, replace them. Water can and do *seeps* inside the light unit, due to *convection* set up when light unit warms up and then cools.

Alexlind123
03-21-2006, 08:46 PM
You could also use a hair dryer to soften the glue on the lens and remove it, replacing it later with glue or clear silicone sealant.

angrypancake
03-21-2006, 08:49 PM
if the hair dryer doesnt work or takes too long, put em in the oven to soften the glue... make sure the windows are open when you do it, cause baked Hella smells terrible...

theurig
03-21-2006, 09:17 PM
Another option is to donate your car to me and you don't even have to worry about cleaning !!!!!! Now that is an idea!! Nice looking car.

bigtallsam
03-22-2006, 03:16 PM
hi guys thanks for the info,

had an exploratory look this afternoon.

my headlights are of the hella variety on my (uk/euro?) b.m.

if i remove the covers in the engine bay to gain access to the rear of the light units/bulbs i can see 3 screws on the back of the dipped beam housing although one og them looks like a b**ch to undo!?

would removing these allow access to the insides or do i have to go about removing the front grille in order to remove the headlights and head for the oven!!?

thanks

s

iainand
03-22-2006, 04:05 PM
undo the 3 screws and pull free the projector/reflector
carefully clean the reflector, the projector lens and the inside of the glass left on the car.

i cleaned mine but the reflector was too far gone, had to be replaced - what a difference in light output

bigtallsam
03-22-2006, 04:08 PM
cool!

thanks for that.

s

632 Regal
03-23-2006, 12:39 AM
what did you end up doing?

bigtallsam
03-23-2006, 02:17 PM
gonna have to wait till sunday - hope the weathers good - oops just jinxed it!!

think i'll remove the centre/side grilles then light assemblys and take em inside to clean em, i'll let u know how i get on

btw - does it look like my front suspension is way higher than the back - the sill seem parallel with the ground, just thought i'd ask??

ta

s

nk530
03-23-2006, 06:17 PM
btw - does it look like my front suspension is way higher than the back - the sill seem parallel with the ground, just thought i'd ask??

ta

s
That's the way they make'em. I thought mine looked a little funny, to. The front ride height spec is something like 65mm taller than the rear. I can't give you actual #s, though as I have different wheels.

bigtallsam
03-26-2006, 07:59 AM
just finished dimantling my low beams - fairly easy although there was a fourth screw holding the main assembly onto the front of the car which where a bit of a squeeze to get of lost the top of a few of my knuckles in the process

other than that it was quite a pleasurable experience

think i could do with some new low beams though

there was a lot of muck inside and hopefully now their back on it should look a fair bit brighter but the refelctive internal finish is showing its age

can anyone recommend a good source in the uk for replacements??

regards

s