PDA

View Full Version : Front End Noise

athflying79
03-21-2006, 08:05 AM
I posted about this before, but now that I have my front end mostly sorted out, this has become more noticeable. Going straight I get what feels almost like a slight brake rub (like the rotor is warped to the point it's hitting the pad) with a noticeable feel in the wheel and even pedals. It has a slight noise, but very subdued, passengers have never noticed. I get no shake during braking, so I don't think it's the brakes. They have been pretty smooth and quiet as long as I've owned the car.

If I turn to the left it gets worse, if I turn to the right it disappears. That is what makes me think it is possibly a front wheel bearing. I would love to get this sorted out as it is driving me nuts.

Bill R.
03-21-2006, 09:27 AM
. A separation in tire will create a bulge in the tire that you'll feel in the steering wheel and the pedals. Raise the car up and spin the tires by hand running your open palm across the flat width of the tread , at some point as its spinning you'll feel a raised up area or an area that doesn't feel the same as the rest of the tire

I posted about this before, but now that I have my front end mostly sorted out, this has become more noticeable. Going straight I get what feels almost like a slight brake rub (like the rotor is warped to the point it's hitting the pad) with a noticeable feel in the wheel and even pedals. It has a slight noise, but very subdued, passengers have never noticed. I get no shake during braking, so I don't think it's the brakes. They have been pretty smooth and quiet as long as I've owned the car.

If I turn to the left it gets worse, if I turn to the right it disappears. That is what makes me think it is possibly a front wheel bearing. I would love to get this sorted out as it is driving me nuts.

athflying79
03-21-2006, 03:49 PM
I will check it out when I get a chance. I am getting married this weekend, so will be a few days before I get back to my true love....I mean car.

clhorton
03-21-2006, 06:10 PM
Delay the wedding. Your BMW is going to kick your ass for not fixing it. It's science.

632 Regal
03-21-2006, 10:50 PM
Congrats on the wedding!

What number you on?

athflying79
03-22-2006, 08:40 AM
I forgot to add........the noise is most noticeable at low speeds. Once on the highway, can't feel or hear it unless I REALLY try.

Jeff.....she is numero uno. I'm young though only 26 so I have plenty of time. My Dad is on #6 and Mom is on #3 so bad spouse choice is in the blood.

joshua43214
03-22-2006, 09:20 AM

This does sound a bit like a bad wheel bearing, but moor like a brake problem.

To test the bearings, drive the car at freeway speeds for a mile or two to heat the bearing up. Find the speed that the noise is most noticable at. check carefuly for other drivers and police, I've been pulled over for this manuvuer. Listening carefuly to the sound, steer hard to the left, then to the right, A bad wheel bearing will get louder loaded one way, and disapear loaded to the other way. tight S-curve roads are good for this. Repeat this with very light pressure on the brakes, just enough to stop the pads from floating. bearings will normaly be loader at freeway speeds, but I've seen them make more noise at about 30mph too. Listen very carefuly, the noise can telegraph accross the body and sound like its coming fromthe opposite wheel. With the wheel bearings warmed up, raise the front end and spin the wheel using a stethescope or very long screwdriver pushed against the hub just outside where the bearing is. A bad bearing will have a growling sound, A light tinny tick is ok.

A very overinflated tire can road test like a bad bearing.
I have seen bearings so loose the tire can be rocked 2 inches at the tread, and still make almost no noise.

Your description sounds more like a brake issue since you state you can feel it in the pedals.
Possible causes;
A warped rotor
A pitted rotor
A rotor with uneven thickness
A brake shim that has sliped at rubs on rotor or rim
A brake pad with a "hard" spot
A rotor with a "hot" spot
A loose caliper
A rotor with a ridge
A loose wheel bearing
Debris stuck to something and rubbing
Worn caliper bushings

Commonly this complaint will occor after a car has been parked during a time of high humidity and the a rust area appears between the pad and the rotor. The rusted area will wear off first leaving a pad sized "pit" that the pad will drift over and cause pedal feedback. Over heating the brakes then parking the car can cause the same problem where "hot spots" appear where the pad is in contact with the rotor, these spots will become high points that rub as the rotor wears down.