-Artem

ArtemLepilov
03-21-2006, 09:57 AM
Bump?

ryan roopnarine
03-21-2006, 10:30 AM
you mean like this?
\
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-E36-ECU-ENGINE-COMPUTER-UNIT_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33596QQitemZ804857 5064QQrdZ1

ryan roopnarine
03-21-2006, 10:38 AM
or like the several i got when i entered (92 525i, my car) here:

http://www.car-part.com/

or by pm'ing rigmaster?

if i were you, i'd at least try to talk to mark d'sylva before paying out of your (rear end) for a specific number match, i'm pretty sure that many of the m50 ones will work with each other, but YMMV.

ArtemLepilov
03-21-2006, 11:01 AM
Well, the thing is - I just want to try it out first, if it works I can buy it form whoever sends me theirs... If not, or if you need it - I can send it back.

I just want to test my car without destroying a posibly good working ECU

-Artem

MarkD
03-21-2006, 02:37 PM
Well, the thing is - I just want to try it out first, if it works I can buy it form whoever sends me theirs... If not, or if you need it - I can send it back.

I just want to test my car without destroying a posibly good working ECU

-Artem

You can test with a 403 or 405, they are the earlier versions of the 402.

What are you testing? Did you replace some coil packs?

MarkD

SRR2
03-21-2006, 03:14 PM
Or to put it another way, you want to see if your car destroys a perfectly good ECU.

ThoreauHD
03-21-2006, 04:51 PM
Yea, I think SRR2 has some insight. And I think ole Arte needs a little reality check.

ArtemLepilov
03-21-2006, 06:04 PM
How would my car destroy an ECU? I replaced all the coils and the only possible thing that can be bad in my ECU is the transistor, which would go bad only if the coil shorted it out. NOW I REPLACED ALL THE COILS SO THEY ARE BRAND NEW AND THERE IS NO RISK IN THAT

WHY DONT YOU DO A LITTLE BACKGROUND CHECK BEFORE POSTING YOUR OPINIONS??? --> My previous posts for example??

-Artem

SRR2
03-21-2006, 06:17 PM
Res ipsa loquitur.

ArtemLepilov
03-21-2006, 06:23 PM
Can a person who knows what hes talking about and who has an ECU and can lend me one reply to this please?

-Artem

Rustam
03-22-2006, 10:13 AM
Or to put it another way, you want to see if your car destroys a perfectly good ECU.

sad isn't it?

I recall seeing a guy desperately asking someone to "please come bring a maf sensor for my m5 - i want to plug it in and see if it works" and" I don't want to buy new maf sensor for $600us to see it break"

Rustam
03-22-2006, 10:16 AM
How would my car destroy an ECU? I replaced all the coils and the only possible thing that can be bad in my ECU is the transistor, which would go bad only if the coil shorted it out. NOW I REPLACED ALL THE COILS SO THEY ARE BRAND NEW AND THERE IS NO RISK IN THAT

WHY DONT YOU DO A LITTLE BACKGROUND CHECK BEFORE POSTING YOUR OPINIONS??? --> My previous posts for example??

-Artem

That's perfectly good idea unless something else - besides the coils - triggered the burn of the transistor. Have you made sure that was not the scenario? You should replace the wiring as well if you are willing ro provide a guarantee...

I would be a fool to lend you my ECU, and anyone who does would be too...

Why don't you just solder in a transistor if you are willing to experiment? What the hell is the big deal with that anyway?

You have an open ideal path in front of you: open the box take the transistor out and put fresh one in - and that will let you see if things are ok. You've been told that you can use any ignition transistor - what the hell is the problem now?

Besides if you are so sure that the only problem was "bad coils that damaged the transistor" why do you find it necessary to plug in another ECU to see if it works... Surely it will work if the problem was only the bad coil which you replaced - no? Or you still unsure?

______

Rustam
03-22-2006, 10:28 AM

-Artem

I recall you also said that original coils were fine, asking who may need a set of coils now...

Take my advice - go back to your car and scratch your head.

SRR2
03-22-2006, 10:37 AM
Hammer, meet nail.

If he didn't already understand what you so clearly pointed out, which he just as clearly does not, no one in their right mind would/should lift a finger to facilitate his troubleshooting on THEIR equipment. The man just doesn't get it. He's the poster boy for the "No returns on electrical parts" policy at every automotive parts supplier.

ArtemLepilov
03-22-2006, 10:42 AM
I have a problem soldering my ECU if its in good shape. I wanted to make sure the ECU is the culprit in the first place.

-Artem

Rustam
03-22-2006, 01:35 PM
I have a problem soldering my ECU if its in good shape. I wanted to make sure the ECU is the culprit in the first place.

-Artem

In which case if the ECU is not the culprit SSR was right - you want to see if you car burns perfectly good ECU

_____
still making sure? you already said the transistor was the culprit...

what part else of the ECU can be "no good"? simply - none - either the resistor or the transistor are not ok. The signal is delivered via digital logic that obviously does finction since other coils do fire...

soldering in the ECU should not be frightening if you have firm hand and clear sight.

ArtemLepilov
03-22-2006, 01:57 PM
Yes I understand that. In any case- it looks like im buying a new one. I swapped the transistors, wiring seems fine. I just didnt lke the reponse i got form the people on the forum, I mean I usually like to help out and stuff whenever someone has a problem - i dont just go and attack them right away. I mean they could at least explain to me their reasoning, instead of just going at me as if I intened to do some harm to someone./someone's equipment.
________
I just swapped the transsitors and after turning the car on - everything was the same, transistor didnt burn out, stil no spark on the coil. Wiring seems fine. I thought it was the transistor because the resistor and the wiring are fine. I wasnt absolutely certain on that though.

I will probably be buying a new ECU and a wiring harness for my car soon. I know a parts 94 525I that I cna take the wires off of.

-Artem

Rustam
03-22-2006, 02:08 PM
I just swapped the transsitors and after turning the car on - everything was the same, transistor didnt burn out, stil no spark on the coil. Wiring seems fine. I thought it was the transistor because the resistor and the wiring are fine. I wasnt absolutely certain on that though.

I will probably be buying a new ECU and a wiring harness for my car soon. I know a parts 94 525I that I cna take the wires off of.

-Artem

Have you or have you not try an actual "ignition coil driver transistor" ??? The fact that the transistor that you used does not make things work tells me that its possible that the transistor is not applicable. I don't see how it makes sense to buy new ECU without having tried purpose designed transistor first.

And how are you guaranteed that the problem is still not there? If the problem is with ECU then the transistor is at fault - for that matter you have to try an "ignition transistor" at least.

If the problem is not ECU - then what is the problem and how are you guaranteed its not going to affect your (brand) new ECU?

And besides - have you checked that you soldered the pins correctly by tracing the circuit connections?

ArtemLepilov
03-22-2006, 02:31 PM
I traced the circuit conectors, it checks out. I used an actual coil driven transistor - it even looks like the rest of them.

It has to be the wiring or the ECU - something other than the transistor

-Artem

Rustam
03-22-2006, 07:30 PM
I traced the circuit conectors, it checks out. I used an actual coil driven transistor - it even looks like the rest of them.

It has to be the wiring or the ECU - something other than the transistor

-Artem

That logic is incomplete... If one transistor doesn't work it doesn't necessarily mean that something else is the culprit. The transistor may have different characteristics from what you need.

What connectors are you talking about? do you mean circuit connections? as in "base is connected to blah, collector is connected to blah blah"???

I don't understand why you say "it has to be the wiring" - how can you still not be sure of its condition if you only have 4 wires connected to the coil? There is only 4 wires - is that too many to check?

It's impossible for the ECU to be at fault other than at transistor or the resistor. You can take the schematic to your EE department and have someone tell you the same if my reiteration is not enough.

You can solder a wire to the lead from the base of the transistor and carry it outside with the transistor removed. Start the car and see if alternate current is present at the wire. It should be present. All transistors receive stimulation from one chip - if the rest work then the chip works. If you don't get this current you will have to change that chip - but I find that extremely unlikely...

You can also carry out a wire connected to the point where the collector of the transistor was connected - you should see current when the car is running as well.

If you don't see these currents then you can be sure that something else is wrong with ECU. But you shall see them.

Now, if you don't care for this ECU will you send it to me for shipping expenses?

MarkD
03-22-2006, 09:14 PM
That logic is incomplete... If one transistor doesn't work it doesn't necessarily mean that something else is the culprit. The transistor may have different characteristics from what you need.

What connectors are you talking about? do you mean circuit connections? as in "base is connected to blah, collector is connected to blah blah"???

I don't understand why you say "it has to be the wiring" - how can you still not be sure of its condition if you only have 4 wires connected to the coil? There is only 4 wires - is that too many to check?

[QUOTE=Rustam]

It's impossible for the ECU to be at fault other than at transistor or the resistor.

What resistor are you referring to?

You can solder a wire to the lead from the base of the transistor and carry it outside with the transistor removed. Start the car and see if alternate current is present at the wire. It should be present. All transistors receive stimulation from one chip - if the rest work then the chip works. If you don't get this current you will have to change that chip - but I find that extremely unlikely... You can also carry out a wire connected to the point where the collector of the transistor was connected - you should see current when the car is running as well.

If you don't see these currents then you can be sure that something else is wrong with ECU. But you shall see them.

Not correct. That driver chip has 6 channels, I have seen one or two fail and the others work perfectly. Often, when the coil driver transistors fail this driver IC also fails on the channels connected to the failed transistors. Another possibility is that the IC that monitors the coil firing has failed. Then fuel to that cylinder is shut down.

MarkD

ArtemLepilov
03-22-2006, 09:16 PM
Will do the checks sometime friday. I gotta fit it all in with the homework, etc... I mean im not just hesitating to do that because I am afraid to fu*k something up - I can get a new ECU for $75... I just dont have time right now going to school and all - I need to manage 4 fast paced classes, parting the car and my car repair at the same time.

-Artem

Rustam
03-23-2006, 11:44 AM
What resistor are you referring to?

Artem knows well which one I am refering to. However, if you must know - I was refering to the resistor connected to the collector of the transistor in question...

Not correct. That driver chip has 6 channels, I have seen one or two fail and the others work perfectly.

I don't find the statement that you pointed to "not correct". If I said "if the other coils fire then the chip is good PERIOD " that would be "incorrect" as the statement does not reserve a possibility of burn of single "channel" as you refer to it...

Alas! Let's roll back to my statement here again:

All transistors receive stimulation from one chip - if the rest work then the chip works. If you don't get this current you will have to change that chip - but I find that extremely unlikely...

The statement in bold implicates the possibility of damage to only one "channel"...

You may have to go back to my original question and carefully reread it if you don't find this explanation consistent - and I am sure that maybe just so as the quote has been taken out of the context and analyzed without it.

Of course, if you're willing to ignore the context and pick on any given statement - I am sure you will find plenty of things "incorrect" - in many places.

Often, when the coil driver transistors fail this driver IC also fails on the channels connected to the failed transistors.

Correct, and the possibility reserved by my statement. And this is very reasonable guess - the "channels" have transistors for outputs themselves...

Another possibility is that the IC that monitors the coil firing has failed.

What chip exactly? Are you looking at the schematic? Can you elaborate? It may be helpful to the person that is trying to troubleshoot his system...

Rustam
03-23-2006, 11:53 AM
I just dont have time right now going to school and all - I need to manage 4 fast paced classes, parting the car and my car repair at the same time.

-Artem

What do you study anyway? I am curious...

ArtemLepilov
03-23-2006, 01:35 PM
What do you study anyway? I am curious...

Aerospace engineering :) at Worcester Polytech

-Artem

Rustam
03-23-2006, 02:00 PM
Aerospace engineering :) at Worcester Polytech

-Artem

That's what I wanted to study initially. What part of it do you study?

I am applying for PhD in physics.

ArtemLepilov
03-23-2006, 02:13 PM
That's what I wanted to study initially. What part of it do you study?

I am applying for PhD in physics.

I study pretty much everything that anyone can think of when they talk about AE.. Avionics system design, Rocket/Jet propulsion systems, etc etc

-Artem

Rustam
03-23-2006, 10:54 PM
I study pretty much everything that anyone can think of when they talk about AE.. Avionics system design, Rocket/Jet propulsion systems, etc etc

-Artem

You are undergraduate student right? Planning to do graduate studies in this? Usually in grad school you may be expected to start choosing a direction thats what I meant to ask about. Like for mechanical engineering in masters program one may choose thermodynamics or mechanism design.