PDA

View Full Version : Anybody have Koni Sport and Eibach Pro springs for 525?

Rick L
03-20-2006, 11:32 PM
Hey guys! I'm looking to upgrade my suspension and leaning toward Koni Sport (adjustable) shocks with Eibach Pro springs for my 1995 525i. :D Anyone have this combo? I like the fact the Koni Sport shocks are externally adjustable so I could tune the ride and performance of my car

Speeder 553
03-21-2006, 12:10 AM
Hey guys! I'm looking to upgrade my suspension and leaning toward Koni Sport (adjustable) shocks with Eibach Pro springs for my 1995 525i. :D Anyone have this combo? I like the fact the Koni Sport shocks are externally adjustable so I could tune the ride and performance of my car

I just had Koni Sports with Eibach Pro-Kit Springs installed and it is awesome. The ride is silky smooth yet very responsive and it corners like it's on a rail. The springs dropped the front and rear exactly as they said it would so no tire rubbing or bottoming out problems whatsoever. Feels like a new car. :D

Rick L
03-21-2006, 12:35 AM
I was just about to order from Tirerack.com and noticed incorrect information. :( I put in 1995 BMW 525i and the Koni Sport shocks for my car shows 19mm nut?!?!? Isn't the 1992 to 1995 uses 22mm nut and 19mm is used on 1991 or older 525?

Jjcarr
03-21-2006, 08:54 AM
I was just about to order from Tirerack.com and noticed incorrect information. :( I put in 1995 BMW 525i and the Koni Sport shocks for my car shows 19mm nut?!?!? Isn't the 1992 to 1995 uses 22mm nut and 19mm is used on 1991 or older 525?

Check out www.shox.com, they usually have better prices. I've ordered several setups from them.

darron525
03-21-2006, 09:31 AM

here is your problem, I was giong to order this same combo for my 93 525i last July. If you look at the Koni-na web site they have a different part number for 93-95 525. The delima is that no one had this part # in there data base and when I called shox .com they had never heard of this part # so they called Koni and checked with them, they were told that this is a special order from Holland and it takes 6-8 weeks to come in, so I went with the Bilsteins and eibach combo.
If I were you I would call www.shox.com or www.koni-na.com and ask them about it.

mholbrook
03-21-2006, 09:32 AM
One way to be sure is to take a screwdriver and pop the plastic cap/cover off the top of the shock tower. Put a wrench on the big nut. Then order the correct size.

darron525
03-21-2006, 09:44 AM
mine is 22mm, but like Mike said just put a socket or wrench on it to find out, also they might ask the dust cap size.

darron

Rick L
03-21-2006, 10:34 AM
Confusing... :( 92-95 shows two part numbers (8641 1176Sport and 8641-1224Sport). I called Koni and they couldn't give me the nut size size for their part number (8641 1176Sport) from tech department. He told me they go by dust cap size for the new models. My 1995 has 32mm or about 1.5 inch. So, the Koni tech told me that the 8641 1176Sport is the correct one. In Tirerack.com, their system shows the part 8641 1176Sport has 19mm nut?!?!?! :( I believe 8641-1176Sport is correct but Tirerack might have their information incorrect?

Speeder 553
03-21-2006, 12:57 PM
Check out www.shox.com, they usually have better prices. I've ordered several setups from them.

I got my Koni/Eibach's at shox and they have the lowest $$ including ebay.

Speeder 553
03-21-2006, 01:12 PM
Confusing... :( 92-95 shows two part numbers (8641 1176Sport and 8641-1224Sport). I called Koni and they couldn't give me the nut size size for their part number (8641 1176Sport) from tech department. He told me they go by dust cap size for the new models. My 1995 has 32mm or about 1.5 inch. So, the Koni tech told me that the 8641 1176Sport is the correct one. In Tirerack.com, their system shows the part 8641 1176Sport has 19mm nut?!?!?! :( I believe 8641-1176Sport is correct but Tirerack might have their information incorrect?

I would go with Koni's #'s.

Brandon J
03-21-2006, 01:50 PM
Why have you not considered H&Rs? Why are you leaning towards Eibachs? What do you expect from the ride? If you want a softer sport ride have you thought about M-tech and konis and then adding swaybars?

Your vehicle should have the 19mm which came on all m50tu's, but don't quote me on that. It should have a small dust cap that only covers part of the strut mount, instead of the 22mm one which kind of sticks out a bit and use the cover that covers the whole strut mount.

Rick L
03-21-2006, 08:21 PM
I think Eibach is better tuned for E34 than H&Rs. When you look at Eibach springs, they have different part for different type of engine for E34 so the each part was designed for the weight of the engine. If you look at H&R springs, they have only one part for all E34. I don't think any 1993-1995 E34 came with 19mm. From what I know, they have 22mm. I'm little bit surprised that the Koni tech department didn't even know the nut size for their own product. Anyway, I ordered part# 8641 1176Sport from Tirerack since they are near by (50 miles from Chicago). If they look like wrong size, I'll exchange them.

Why have you not considered H&Rs? Why are you leaning towards Eibachs? What do you expect from the ride? If you want a softer sport ride have you thought about M-tech and konis and then adding swaybars?

Your vehicle should have the 19mm which came on all m50tu's, but don't quote me on that. It should have a small dust cap that only covers part of the strut mount, instead of the 22mm one which kind of sticks out a bit and use the cover that covers the whole strut mount.

Speeder 553
03-22-2006, 12:46 AM
I think Eibach is better tuned for E34 than H&Rs. When you look at Eibach springs, they have different part for different type of engine for E34 so the each part was designed for the weight of the engine. If you look at H&R springs, they have only one part for all E34. I don't think any 1993-1995 E34 came with 19mm. From what I know, they have 22mm. I'm little bit surprised that the Koni tech department didn't even know the nut size for their own product. Anyway, I ordered part# 8641 1176Sport from Tirerack since they are near by (50 miles from Chicago). If they look like wrong size, I'll exchange them.

My Eibach's dropped my 94' 540i V8 perfectly so their spec are right on the number. BTW, the Koni/Eibach set on 1/2 turn from full soft are awesome.;)

Rick L
03-22-2006, 04:47 PM
I just received the Koni shocks from Tirerack. I looked at the nut size and it is 19mm! My car has 22mm! I don't get it... :( I called Koni and they tell me that the part I have is correct for my car and they go by the dust cap size on the newer E34s. I called Tirerack and their system only shows one part for Koni fronts for 1995 525i. Does the size of the nut really matter? I noticed that the top part where the screw thread is tapered smaller and the middle to bottom of the rod gets wider... I'm taking my car in tomorrow for the install and I hope it is the right one... :(

Brandon J
03-22-2006, 09:11 PM
I just received the Koni shocks from Tirerack. I looked at the nut size and it is 19mm! My car has 22mm! I don't get it... :( I called Koni and they tell me that the part I have is correct for my car and they go by the dust cap size on the newer E34s. I called Tirerack and their system only shows one part for Koni fronts for 1995 525i. Does the size of the nut really matter? I noticed that the top part where the screw thread is tapered smaller and the middle to bottom of the rod gets wider... I'm taking my car in tomorrow for the install and I hope it is the right one... :(

The size of the nut REALLY matters. Hey if you can. take a pic of your strut mount so we can see. Like I said, I know of the M50tu's having 19mm and thats probably whats on the records for koni and tirerack. Next time you should have just asked Scott and I to do your suspension. I wonder if he and I can do it in under 3hrs next time......hmmm.

Rick L
03-22-2006, 11:15 PM
I have enclosed the picture below:

The top nut size is 22mm.

http://home.comcast.net/~jungerishere/Strut_22mm.JPG

http://home.comcast.net/~jungerishere/Strut.JPG

The Koni front strut has 19mm nut size.

http://home.comcast.net/~jungerishere/Koni.JPG

http://home.comcast.net/~jungerishere/Koni_19mm.JPG

I just noticed that the Koni part # for 540i and 530i come with M14-22mm top nut size for 1995. Could my 525i have the same strut as the 530i and the 540i? I also looked at BMW ETK with my VIN # shows that it has M14-22mm top nut as well.

Brandon J, you guys live in Chicago area? Man, I didn't realize getting struts are complicated... Maybe, next time I'll ask you guys...

The size of the nut REALLY matters. Hey if you can. take a pic of your strut mount so we can see. Like I said, I know of the M50tu's having 19mm and thats probably whats on the records for koni and tirerack. Next time you should have just asked Scott and I to do your suspension. I wonder if he and I can do it in under 3hrs next time......hmmm.

Brandon J
03-22-2006, 11:25 PM
I have enclosed the picture below:

The top nut size is 22mm.

The Koni front strut has 19mm nut size.

I just noticed that the Koni part # for 540i and 530i come with M14-22mm top nut size for 1995. Could my 525i have the same strut as the 530i and the 540i? I also looked at BMW ETK with my VIN # shows that it has M14-22mm top nut as well.

Brandon J, you guys live in Chicago area? Man, I didn't realize getting struts are complicated... Maybe, next time I'll ask you guys...

Hmm, I wonder if your '95 has a change over. I guess the big question will be if it fits and it just might. Let us know what happens. Hey did you sign up for the meet yet?

Rick L
03-22-2006, 11:38 PM
No, not yet. I'll make it to this summer's meet for sure since I missed the last two and I live only 15 minutes away. :)

Hmm, I wonder if your '95 has a change over. I guess the big question will be if it fits and it just might. Let us know what happens. Hey did you sign up for the meet yet?

Speeder 553
03-23-2006, 09:01 PM

Rick,

Any updates??

Rick L
03-23-2006, 10:43 PM
I pickup my car from the shop today and the mechanic said there was no problem with the strut install even though my car has 22mm nut and the Koni shocks are 19mm nut. He seemed to have good knowledge of BMW E34s since he have worked on them many times including suspensions. However, I did call Koni just before I dropped my car off at the shop and they reassured me that the part I have is correct for my car even though the nut size is different on my car. He said on older E34s (I believe he said 1990-1992 with the larger dust cap) are the ones you need to make sure the nut size is correct (that’s what they said from two different Koni techs). I hope their right… My previous shocks were O.K., maybe slightly on the soft side. With the new Koni and Eibach combo worked out great! :D I only driven less than 5 miles but noticed a big difference in handling. It seems like I have absolutely no body roll when I rip a fast turn. Right now, Koni shocks are set to ¼ turn. I do notice a slightly stiffer ride but that was expected. I would like to set it to ½ turn and take the car for a drive right now but IT IS SNOWING outside!!! I guess I’ll have to wait till tomorrow since I have the summer tires back on and don’t want to crash tonight… ;)

Rick,

Any updates??

Speeder 553
03-23-2006, 11:37 PM
I pickup my car from the shop today and the mechanic said there was no problem with the strut install even though my car has 22mm nut and the Koni shocks are 19mm nut. He seemed to have good knowledge of BMW E34s since he have worked on them many times including suspensions. However, I did call Koni just before I dropped my car off at the shop and they reassured me that the part I have is correct for my car even though the nut size is different on my car. He said on older E34s (I believe he said 1990-1992 with the larger dust cap) are the ones you need to make sure the nut size is correct (that’s what they said from two different Koni techs). I hope their right… My previous shocks were O.K., maybe slightly on the soft side. With the new Koni and Eibach combo worked out great! :D I only driven less than 5 miles but noticed a big difference in handling. It seems like I have absolutely no body roll when I rip a fast turn. Right now, Koni shocks are set to ¼ turn. I do notice a slightly stiffer ride but that was expected. I would like to set it to ½ turn and take the car for a drive right now but IT IS SNOWING outside!!! I guess I’ll have to wait till tomorrow since I have the summer tires back on and don’t want to crash tonight… ;)

Glad to hear they fit. I set my Koni's on 1/2 from full soft and they feel awesome. And my Eibach springs dropped my 540i a perfect amount (about 1/2" tire to wheel well). How does your drop look?

Speeder 553
03-24-2006, 08:56 AM

Did you get the headlights ajusted and or the wheels aligned? Mine both seem fine but not sure if I should have it done or not???

Rick L
03-24-2006, 07:05 PM
I got the alignment done (Firestone Lifetime Alignment for $149) and it was very close to factory specs. I haven't adjusted the lights yet but I think they are O.K. I did set my Koni to 1/2 turn like yours and I LOVE IT! :D Thanks for the advice. It is definitely more sportier but still not too harsh. It looks like I have almost 1" gap now between the front tire and the wheel well. Weird, my car looks smaller now... :p

http://home.comcast.net/~jungerishere/Koni_Eibach1.JPG

http://home.comcast.net/~jungerishere/Koni_Eibach2.JPG

Did you get the headlights ajusted and or the wheels aligned? Mine both seem fine but not sure if I should have it done or not???