PDA

View Full Version : Long(ish) Term Storage

Traian
03-20-2006, 05:24 PM
It looks like I might be working abroad this summer, so Heidi will camp out in the garage for about 4 months. Any storage tips? With my bike, what I generally did for winter storage was drain the carbs, fill the tank (fuel not sand), add fuel stabilizer, remove the battery, fill the tires (air not sand), etc... Does any of this apply to the Bimmer?

Basically, I don't want all the rubber to dry up and die, the tires to get flatspotted or other nasties to pop up, and well, you know, if I could just hop in and drive off when I come back, that would be nice too.

angrypancake
03-20-2006, 05:30 PM
check bruno's site, he's got that "winter prep" section but it would probly be about the same... or if you're around me I'd be more than happy to drive it for the summer! I solemly swear to never drive it during the rain, or crash it :)

Kalevera
03-20-2006, 05:31 PM
Beyond all of the normal stuff (change the oil, put the thing on jackstands, fill tires up to 50 psi), it might be a good idea to tape up the airbox inlet. Whenever I store an E34, I set the IHKR/A to "recirc" before disconnecting the battery (with the key in the accessory position) -- this will keep the heaterbox flaps closed (they'll open if the key is removed, regardless of control settings, when there's battery power).

You could also tape up the trunk vents, but that might be a bit overboard :)

best, whit

Traian
03-20-2006, 07:57 PM
angrypancake: Sounds good, but if I find one drop of rain on her when I come back, so help me God...

lowell: Makes sense. My garage is really tight however, so there's not even enough room for jacks. Maybe if I park her on wooden slabs? Also, what does having the heaterbox flaps closed accomplish? Genuine curiosity only, I promise.

Alexlind123
03-20-2006, 11:03 PM
If the heater flaps are open, rodents may find a cozy home in your car.

genphreak
03-20-2006, 11:28 PM
If the heater flaps are open, rodents may find a cozy home in your car.That's kinda OTT if you don't have critters like that. But an infestation of other things might also be worth avoiding! SPiders, 'roaches... etc.

A bit of silica gel inside the car (maybe 1lb/500g?) will help to keep it dry if you seal her up. I'd put some in the boot too, it'll slow any rust should it be occuring. :) Nick

Alexlind123
03-21-2006, 12:54 AM
That's kinda OTT if you don't have critters like that. But an infestation of other things might also be worth avoiding! SPiders, 'roaches... etc.

A bit of silica gel inside the car (maybe 1lb/500g?) will help to keep it dry if you seal her up. I'd put some in the boot too, it'll slow any rust should it be occuring. :) Nick

By saying rodents, i was sort of alluding to any sort of undesirable creature that may nest in his car. I'm sure he's intelligent enough to judge for himself exactly what sorts of animals could pose a problem. I am quite aware of the fact the different geographical regions support differents kinds of animal life, and as such create very similar but technically different sorts of problems for the auto-owner.

In any case, i hold this example of lowell's advice in the utmost regard.

genphreak
03-21-2006, 07:42 AM
By saying rodents, i was sort of alluding to any sort of undesirable creature that may nest in his car. I'm sure he's intelligent enough to judge for himself exactly what sorts of animals could pose a problem. I am quite aware of the fact the different geographical regions support differents kinds of animal life, and as such create very similar but technically different sorts of problems for the auto-owner.

In any case, i hold this example of lowell's advice in the utmost regard.Indeed.

Whit was talking more about air movement. Rodents can't get through the plenum grille, the mesh is 5mm square and there is no other way in unless they chew through the ebox. I've never had an insect inside my car either, here in Oz we normally get roaming 'huntsman' spiders (as big as your a baby's hand - and can flatten down to get through 4mm gaps - under doors and in all kinds of places... they can give you a real fright running past your face on the window when you hit 100kmh on the freeway and scare em out of their hiding spots...