PDA

View Full Version : 1990 BMW 535I oil pressure light is coming on :( (plz help)!!!

oleh
03-20-2006, 04:19 PM
Its for 1990 Bmw 535I When i start my car the oil light comes on for like 2 sec but only sometimes. when i drive for a bit there is no light but when the engine warms up to half where it stays like that it starts to come on. When i stop my oil light blinks very fast and then it goes on solid red and the computer says "ENGINE OIL PRESS". When i accelerate or go to 1500 rpms the light goes off. when i stop it goes on again what can it be?

p.s i checked the oil level its good

Bill R.
03-20-2006, 04:25 PM
have low oil pressure indicating either a worn oil pump or worn bearings/crank/cam etc.. Most likely replacing the oil pump will cure the problem. I would first attach a mechanical gauge to verify that it is a oil pressure problem and not the gauge or sending unit.

Its for 1990 Bmw 535I When i start my car the oil light comes on for like 2 sec but only sometimes. when i drive for a bit there is no light but when the engine warms up to half where it stays like that it starts to come on. When i stop my oil light blinks very fast and then it goes on solid red and the computer says "ENGINE OIL PRESS". When i accelerate or go to 1500 rpms the light goes off. when i stop it goes on again what can it be?

p.s i checked the oil level its good

632 Regal
03-20-2006, 04:28 PM
what oil are you running and when was the last time you changed it?

oleh
03-20-2006, 05:02 PM
Im using Castrol GTX sae 5W-30 i just did and oil change awhile ago. If it would be an oil pump where is the oil pump located?

632 Regal
03-20-2006, 05:44 PM
The oil pump is in the oil pan.

IMO that oil is too thin for dino oil, try a synthetic 0w-40 or dino 20w-50 and change the filter, your problem will probably dissapeer.

Im using Castrol GTX sae 5W-30 i just did and oil change awhile ago. If it would be an oil pump where is the oil pump located?

Dash01
03-20-2006, 06:41 PM
A cheap and simple check is to remove & clean the oil pressure sensor. It is located at the left rear corner of the head, back by the firewall and under the coolant reservoir.

I did this yesterday and cleaned the pressure sensor with a bit of gasoline, then rubbed the sensor contact with emory paper and squirted it with a drop or two of WD40.

Now, no low oil pressure indications. 30 minute job, and easy. See if this works first.

Also, while you're at it, with engine off, remove the cap from the oil canister and see how much oil is still in there. If drained, maybe the check valve is faulty. Mine wasn't.

oleh
03-20-2006, 07:54 PM
Thanx 632 Regal i did my oil change i put 20W-50 and the light doesnt come on anymore the engine runs smoother too thanx alot :)