PDA

View Full Version : is there anything behind glove box for elec windows ?

magicsid
03-20-2006, 01:23 PM
Hi

I have a 1998 318is coupe (as pictured below)

It all started after i fitted a new kenwood flipout screen dvd into my DIN stereo. i had to drop the glove box to hide wires and also there is a hideaway box for the stereo, anyway all worked fine and put glove box back in place, then couple of days later my driver side electric window had packed up, well it was intermitant, one day it would work then the next day it wouldnt, it just wouldnt go down or up into the seal and when you press the electric window switch it would make a VERY VERY loud grinding noise, like the motor's gears trying to put the window up further, (gears slipping), ive been told this is a faulty motor and needs replacing, which im in the process of doing, now all of a sudden My passenger side window is just the same, only noticed today but thats packed up too. Nothing!!. all i can hear is the relays "Ticking" as i press the switch's. but windows wont go down, (as i say intermitant, odd time it will work)

Now is this all just a very bad coincidence ???

Or is there an electrical fault linked to the windows which is failing these ?

I didnt know if there was anything behind the glove box which could be related to the electric windows that maybe has come loose when i put glovebox back or wire burnt out, or are the realys behind there (but they must be ok as i can hear them ticking when i press switch).

Any advice on what i should do or try will be VERY appreciated.

Thanks for reading and i hope someone can help me.

Sid

joshua43214
03-22-2006, 11:06 AM
E36 window regulators are pure junk. probably only coincindance. I think we all made a house payment or 2 replacing those things.

magicsid
03-23-2006, 01:46 PM
Hi again.

I think i have sorted out my problem.. ill explain..

Driver side window i have fixed...it was the motor, i have replaced the motor and now it works better than ever, no stuttering, nice and smooth action up and down.

Passenger side window is still broke but i think i know the problem, what has been happening is the window wont do anything at all, i can just hear relays ticking when the switch is pressed, it will tick every time when i press down on the switch but will only make one "ticking" noise when i press up on the switch. ive tested the 2 wires powering the motor in the door and theres only power going to one wire.. (the window down wire) there is no power to the window up wire, so i have traced that wire back to behind the glovebox, theres a power pack (the black box at the top) it has a green and a red connector on it and a bigger black connector, this bigger black connector is where the electric window power goes to for both/all windows in the car the wire which is failing me is passenger side window up wire (which in my car is blue/green) this being traced along the circuit board og the power pack goes the a black relay, i can hear inside this relay something rattling, like a part inside the relay has burnt out. i think this is the fault for my passenger side window not working. it could be possible to replace the relay on the board but maybe alot easier to replace the whole black power pack, might pick one up cheap from a scrap yard or ebay.

Let me know your thoughts and if you think this makes sence.

Cheers

magicsid
03-24-2006, 10:37 AM
Im wrong.... this isnt fault

Back to square one!

(sounded like i knew what i was on about tho ay....ha ha

Cars.......who'd have em

day
03-24-2006, 11:28 AM
poss motor burn out