PDA

View Full Version : Aussies: How's Larry?

Dave M
03-20-2006, 10:05 AM
As nobody was seriously injured, the obvious next question is "how many e34s were damaged by debris"

But seriously, was anyone on the board affected by "Larry"

Cyclone Larry was packing winds of up to 290 km/h as a Category 5 storm when it crashed ashore about 95 kilometres south of Cairns.

Hope everyone is OK

Dave M

mattyb
03-20-2006, 10:33 AM
thanks for thinking of us dave. i dont think we have any board members up that way but it certainaly was a very bad situation. i hope all the folks up there are ok cause the pics on tv are really bad. this is the top end of OZ and its an area mainly dedicated to farming sugar cane and bananas etc. as ussual its the farmers who cop the worst and short of reporting casualties at this stage fox is reporting that 95% of our banana crop/stock is gone. Have not yet heard of casualities but its 2.30am here and full reports are ussually reported in the morning news. Cheers mate- stay well.

GJPinAU
03-22-2006, 06:57 PM
Bananas went from $2.99/kg to a reported $10.99/kg. Petrol (unleaded) went to $1.30/litre WTF!
hope no one in California sneezes!

rob101
03-22-2006, 07:30 PM
so thats the excuse for petrol going up, riggggght maybe i should start my own emirate up around there seeing it is such an oil rich area and all that! I am crying over the bananas i am going to have to change my excessive banana eating habits. no ill effects here just rain and a bit of wind, there is another cyclone brewing off the coast atm though.

SharkmanBMW
03-22-2006, 07:32 PM
I have been up there and 290 k/hour winds don't mix with complete and utter beauty....

I really hope things work out ok for anyone involved.

genphreak
03-22-2006, 09:07 PM
Bananas went from $2.99/kg to a reported $10.99/kg. Petrol (unleaded) went to $1.30/litre WTF! hope no one in California sneezes!I can barely imagine what the cyclone would be like, however the bananas are just bananas, so long as the individuals are looked after... barely one shipment of LNG to the Chinese will cover the cost so don't worry about us, this is the lucky country! [well it at least was before the Aust Wheat Board got busted paying bribe-money to Saddam so he could buy weapons to fire at the Coaltion of the Willing's kids] Now... back to work; how much uranium would we need to sell to pay for the entire cotton crop and then re-vegetate and de-salinate the areas it is destroooying... 'calc'calc'calc'... oh damn, I forgot the pollies' share, and oh yes, their friends on the sharemarket... hmm 'calc'calc'... oh it's ok, the numbers look just about passable... so long as we don't do any re-vegetation or de-salination... that way we can still afford to give away the last half of our National Telco whilst legislating to spend a further $5B of public funds on DSL rollout just before we get Power over Ethernet rolling country-wide for 1/10th of the cost. I'm sure we'll have good use for it later on, as we do for comms satellites, cable and analogue modems...