PDA

View Full Version : ::.. Blower slow and vibrating on high

Qube
03-19-2006, 09:14 PM
And on to the next problem. Blower is starting to be really weak. Barely goes at 1 and 2 so I usually crank it to 3. At 4, I sometimes feel a vibration near my feet, so I don't turn it there.

A little searching turns up this useful thread:
http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?p=59066

So my general question... is this the only way to get to the blower and see what's up?:
http://www.nmia.com/~dgnrg/page_15.htm

winfred
03-19-2006, 09:44 PM
those pictures show pretty much how it's set up, i wouldn't bother with the old motor as they are usually toast, with the comm eaten up like they are usually are it won't last long with just a sanding and new brushes, that will probably get it working but theres the possibility it will burn up something by drawing too much power

Speeder 553
03-19-2006, 09:58 PM
And on to the next problem. Blower is starting to be really weak. Barely goes at 1 and 2 so I usually crank it to 3. At 4, I sometimes feel a vibration near my feet, so I don't turn it there.

A little searching turns up this useful thread:
http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?p=59066

So my general question... is this the only way to get to the blower and see what's up?:

Mine is the same, no air blowing much till 3 or 4 and then not much. Could it be a dirty cabin air filter causing it or is the motor gone?

Qube
03-19-2006, 10:00 PM
Thanks winfred. Looks like I'll need to scrap away a few hours to take it apart to look. About $150-200 for a new blower eh? :|

winfred
03-19-2006, 10:14 PM
$150 would be a great deal $200 wouldn't be bad (as a shop i pay $171)

Speeder 553
03-19-2006, 10:18 PM
$150 would be a great deal $200 wouldn't be bad (as a shop i pay $171)

How much does it usually cost for a mech to install it?

winfred
03-20-2006, 09:05 AM
about a hour labor

How much does it usually cost for a mech to install it?

632 Regal
03-20-2006, 09:27 AM
Dirty filters put strain on the motor cause it cant pull any air.
Mine is the same, no air blowing much till 3 or 4 and then not much. Could it be a dirty cabin air filter causing it or is the motor gone?

Bill R.
03-20-2006, 09:32 AM
up filter, the motor probably isn't hurt

KenB
03-20-2006, 09:39 AM
If there is no air filter the fan itself might be dirty enough to cause it.

I am taking mine in today to have it (microfilter) changed, noticeable lack of airflow and bad smell when I turn on A/C. Also having 4 new Bilsteins installed, window regulator, and Mobil1 oil change. Can't wait to get it back as I have to drive a '98 Buick Regal until I do. :-(

SRR2
03-20-2006, 09:55 AM
Actually, it's the reverse. Unlike axial flow fans, centrifugal blowers "unload" as the airflow is restricted. IOW, they draw less power and run faster.

SRR2
03-20-2006, 10:01 AM
The simple answer is that your blower and plenum are loaded with debris, which usually includes items that your local rodent population thought you might like. Nesting materials, leaves, mouse poop, mouse skeletons, and so on. Your evaporator is blocked which is why there's no airflow. The cage part of the blower is loaded with stuff and that's what vibrates.

You will have to open up the panel on the firewall, pull out the motor/blower, and clean it all up. That includes reaching in as far as possible to remove the gunk that's been forced into the evaporator fins.

This was a yearly, sometimes twice-yearly, procedure that I needed to perform on my '89. It's a colossal pain in the ass. Praise %%Deity for the large and trivial to replace (under 15 seconds each, heh heh heh) cabin air filters on the E39!!!

Felixdacat
03-20-2006, 11:03 AM
on one of my older cars, a 1979 toyota corolla liftback 5spd, had a balance clip on the fan. after finding out this info, I replaced it, and didn't have the problem again. Do the BMW's come with the same balance clip? Kinda like having to balance you wheels

Speeder 553
03-20-2006, 11:04 AM

I am taking mine in today to have it (microfilter) changed, noticeable lack of airflow and bad smell when I turn on A/C. Also having 4 new Bilsteins installed, window regulator, and Mobil1 oil change. Can't wait to get it back as I have to drive a '98 Buick Regal until I do. :-(

Ken,

Please let me know ir the filter change fixes the low air flow. Also, if it's not too late, you should consider getting the Koni Sport Shocks vs. the Bilsteins. They are sooooo much smoother and the ride is really awesome (I had Bilsteins HD's with stock springs and the ride was HARSH). The Eibach Pro-Kit Springs are a wonderful combo with the Koni's (if you want much better performance with a cool dropped look; 1.2" F / 1.0" R). The springs were the best $220 mod I have made. ;)

Qube
03-21-2006, 12:08 AM
So what you're all saying is... most likely the blower is dirty or crapped out. Even with thorough cleaning... a 'new' blower is the best option, right?

SRR2
03-21-2006, 01:13 AM
It's not a foregone conclusion that the blower is bad. It is likely that it's full of crap.

5spd
03-21-2006, 12:58 PM
I just did the blower on my 525i yesterday. Pretty easy job, also cheap, as i got a lightly used one off of ebay for $25 including shipping.

Here's one for $75

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-BLOWER-MOTOR-525-535-540-735-740-750-E34-E32_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33546QQitemZ8040356 679QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

JonE
03-21-2006, 03:27 PM
I'd try the cleaning thing first then consider sword operation and blower motor operation next.

tdgard
03-22-2006, 12:59 AM
Weak volume would be a dirty filter. The vibration could very well mean a screwed motor--at least that's what it meant on mine. It would stop working on 1 and 2 after a while. It's a walk in the park to change (based on my E28) and relatively cheap.

Qube
03-22-2006, 10:02 AM
Neat. Bought a brand new one for $88 CAD. Will install when it arrives and see what's hiding in there :) Thanks guys.

Speeder 553
03-23-2006, 08:29 PM

Ken, did the new filter fit the airflow problem???

KenB
03-23-2006, 10:45 PM
Ken, did the new filter fit the airflow problem???

Picked it up this afternoon, the new microfilter helped immensely, back to full wind power, no smell. The filter was caked with leaves and filthy black crud. No rodents though. :)

The Bilsteins are great, it drives like a new car, replaced sway bar links and strut mounts in the rear. Fixed my passenger side window that once opened would not close properly and whistled like a boiling tea kettle, new regulator.

Changed the oil with Mobil 1, smooth as silk. No rattles, no creaks, no squeaks, no shimmies, no clunks. I'm poorer but stoked at how well this car performs for being almost 14 years old and 170,000 miles on it, simply amazing. Most other cars would be ready to self destruct at any given moment at this point.

Long live e34's!
:D :D :D

Speeder 553
03-23-2006, 11:29 PM
Picked it up this afternoon, the new microfilter helped immensely, back to full wind power, no smell. The filter was caked with leaves and filthy black crud. No rodents though. :)

The Bilsteins are great, it drives like a new car, replaced sway bar links and strut mounts in the rear. Fixed my passenger side window that once opened would not close properly and whistled like a boiling tea kettle, new regulator.

Changed the oil with Mobil 1, smooth as silk. No rattles, no creaks, no squeaks, no shimmies, no clunks. I'm poorer but stoked at how well this car performs for being almost 14 years old and 170,000 miles on it, simply amazing. Most other cars would be ready to self destruct at any given moment at this point.

Long live e34's!
:D :D :D

That is great the hear. I'm having my cabin filter changed tomorrow! How long did it talk them to do the job? I've heard up to 1 hr.

KenB
03-23-2006, 11:39 PM
That is great the hear. I'm having my cabin filter changed tomorrow! How long did it talk them to do the job? I've heard up to 1 hr.

They charged me for .5 hr. labor, which for $37.50 was well worth it! If it's your first time, I hear an hour is a good bet. Alot of people have had big headaches trying to do it. There are some great DIY instructions around though, use one and you should be fine.

Good luck!

Speeder 553
03-24-2006, 12:25 AM
They charged me for .5 hr. labor, which for $37.50 was well worth it! If it's your first time, I hear an hour is a good bet. Alot of people have had big headaches trying to do it. There are some great DIY instructions around though, use one and you should be fine.

Good luck!

No way, I'm having my Mech do it. I assume that price did not include the filter itself?

KenB
03-24-2006, 08:23 AM
No way, I'm having my Mech do it. I assume that price did not include the filter itself?

No, they charged $14 for the filter. I was expecting to pay for 1 hour of labor. Maybe I got a break in the labor time since they did alot of other stuff, struts, etc.

For around $50 total, it was a good deal. I wouldn't try it myself,

I don't need the aggravation, I'm a lazy slob. I limit myself to the simplest things like spark plugs, air filter, coils, oil changes and the
EAT chip.:D

Speeder 553
03-25-2006, 02:18 AM
Weak volume would be a dirty filter. The vibration could very well mean a screwed motor--at least that's what it meant on mine. It would stop working on 1 and 2 after a while. It's a walk in the park to change (based on my E28) and relatively cheap.

Excellent advise. Had the filter change and wow does that air crank out now like 95% improved air flow.