PDA

View Full Version : eBay chips

MarkD
03-19-2004, 04:38 PM
I just wanted to share a bit of info I have on 2 different eBay chips I analysed recently:

1) chip was for a 1993 m50tu with VANOS. Label has a picture of a shark on it. The person who bought this said his car never started with it. I told him I'd look at it to see why. Turnes out the chip was completely blank. :(

2) today I get a chip for an ETA in the mail. This chip has the following label:

'84 - '87 BMW 325/528
Performance chip
0 261 200 027/021 ECU

This chip is dangerous. After reading it, I find a few spots where it says "copyright Autothority"...

The person who sent it said it was extremely jerky when first accellerating. I found that the timing was advanced an unbeleiveable amount. I have to assume that some chip guru decided to tweak it, I don't think Autothority would sell something like this. I called Autothority and the person I talked to said they are aware of some cases like this, someone actually ended up with holes in a few pistons from one of these chips.

Just thought people here would be interested to know about this.

Have a good weekend,

Mark

talltorontoguy
03-19-2004, 07:44 PM
Yikes! That sounds pretty scary, and is a good example of why we should be very careful when buying things from ebay. Much better to buy from a reputable guy like yourself Mark!

Gotta luv the E.A.T. chip.

Rod

Bimmer Nut Ed
03-20-2004, 02:01 AM
Wow, I wish I thought of that. Sell blank chips to do anything, and everything, what a great idea. I could probably get'em free from the dump. Won't even have to learn to program. Can watch cars blow up too! kewl scam