PDA

View Full Version : E34 auto box

Saphirs
03-19-2006, 08:19 PM
My e34 530 is getting close to 260k km's, and I'm getting a little worried about having to pay up big time for a costly auto transmission rebuild. Can anyone advise the likely MTBF for these transmissions, ie when i start saving up,,, ;-) or are they bullet proof and (if serviced etc) outlast the car. Any ideas?

632 Regal
03-19-2006, 08:44 PM
luck of the draw brother, rebuilds can go in 5k miles too. If you have money to put on hold i would try to find a lower mileage trans to park in the garage for a while so that unexpected day never comes (insurance).

genphreak
03-19-2006, 09:48 PM
luck of the draw brother, rebuilds can go in 5k miles too. If you have money to put on hold i would try to find a lower mileage trans to park in the garage for a while so that unexpected day never comes (insurance).Sage advice. To stave off the worst, take care of what you have- chg the fluid for Dexron III a few times over 10k km, swap the filter a couple of times along the way... then upgrade to Transmax Z if the tranny is behaving itself and the filter clean. She might go longer than the car if you don't abuse her.

Some people can do fluid flush as almost half of it is still retained in the torque converter when you remove the sump.

Evan
03-19-2006, 10:45 PM
buy Whit's 6 speed Getrag for $1000 and start collecting parts for your conversion to manual. When your tranny fails, switch to a 6 speed

632 Regal
03-20-2006, 09:32 AM
ZF trans man Kirt Kohller says NOT to flush and to ONLY change the filter and the fluid (Dextron III) that comes out with it every 30k miles.

nice way to trash an old trans...

chg the fluid for Dexron III a few times over 10k km, swap the filter a couple of times along the way... then upgrade to Transmax Z if the tranny is behaving itself and the filter clean.

Some people can do fluid flush as almost half of it is still retained in the torque converter when you remove the sump.