PDA

View Full Version : Activated Carbon Filter

athflying79
03-19-2006, 03:14 PM
On the drivers side (LFT here in the US) right in front of the PS reservoir is what from looking at REALOEM.com appears to be an activated carbon filter.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v367/athflying79/realoem.png
Number 1 in the pic.
One of the hoses is pretty dry rotted and cracked around the hose clamp. Just wondering exactly what this is and does. Should I be replacing the hose ASAP?? It looks like it is part of the fuel system, but I don't think fuel actually goes through, so I thought maybe it is just a vent. I hope to replace all my fuel lines soon.

Bill R.
03-19-2006, 04:07 PM
vapors when the car is sitting that would normally escape to the atmosphere but since the gas tank is now a sealed system , these vapors get trapped in the charcoal canister, not filter, then when the engine is running a valve opens and it sucks the vapors from the canister into the engine to be burnt making it pollute less by not allowing raw gas vapors to escape and making it more efficient by ensuring that all the gasoline goes into the engine. Older cars back in the 60's before sealed systems were the law evaporated quite a bit of raw gas into the air each day, multiplied by the number of cars out there and it was quite a bit of gas. A cracked hose here will have an effect on how the engine runs.

On the drivers side (LFT here in the US) right in front of the PS reservoir is what from looking at REALOEM.com appears to be an activated carbon filter.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v367/athflying79/realoem.png
Number 1 in the pic.
One of the hoses is pretty dry rotted and cracked around the hose clamp. Just wondering exactly what this is and does. Should I be replacing the hose ASAP?? It looks like it is part of the fuel system, but I don't think fuel actually goes through, so I thought maybe it is just a vent. I hope to replace all my fuel lines soon.

athflying79
03-19-2006, 04:35 PM
I'll have to grab some clamps from work and swap her out. Is there a reason the hose is so expensive?? On RealOEM it shows it as costing $46. Can just regular fuel line or even just the right size rubber hose be used??

Kalevera
03-19-2006, 05:48 PM
Hmmm...should just be able to buy stock fuel hose and replace it.

best, whit

athflying79
03-19-2006, 06:07 PM
I'll do that...I also noticed two other things while I was in there today.

If you are standing on the drivers side of the car looking at the engine, on the right side of my intake on the third intake runner down there is a short hose that goes to a 90 degree fitting that looks like it might be a check valve and then another hose from that goes into something underneath the water valve. Just curious what it is...couldn't find it on REALOEM.

Kalevera
03-19-2006, 06:20 PM
Sounds like the vacuum feed and check valve to the brake booster. Have a look in group 34 under hydraulics or master cylinder.

best, whit