PDA

View Full Version : Transmition not shifting

begeta50
03-19-2006, 01:25 PM
I got a 1989 585I, and it has been woring great, but last night. I parked the car just fine, but today I started the car, and I try put in gear but the shifter is not working. I tryed many time but no luck. Can someone give me an idea what could be the problem. It is my trasmition gone? Or just a simple thing to fix.
Please if anyone has some ideas. I will appreciate any help.

ArtemLepilov
03-19-2006, 01:29 PM
Assuming you have a 535I... I never heard of an 8.5L engine in an E34 :D

Can you elaborate on what you mean by transmission not shifting? Does the display say "E_D" on it when you put it in gear? if not then it may be asimple electronic shifter replacement, if not - then we would definitely need a little more details about the problem. What is "not shifting"?

-Artem

begeta50
03-19-2006, 01:35 PM
Assuming you have a 535I... I never heard of an 8.5L engine in an E34 :D

Can you elaborate on what you mean by transmission not shifting? Does the display say "E_D" on it when you put it in gear? if not then it may be asimple electronic shifter replacement, if not - then we would definitely need a little more details about the problem. What is "not shifting"?

-Artem

Sorry: Yes it is a 535I 1989.
I try to put shifter in R or D, but the transmition does not goes in any gear. The shifter just goes blank with no results. I am not able to move the car because the transmition it will not engage in any gear.

ArtemLepilov
03-19-2006, 01:41 PM
Ok - its an electrical problem then if you area saying "shifter goes blank" - meaning the screen just doesnt show anything. You can try taking the shifter apart and cleaning it. That will probably fix it. Or you can get a new shifter somewhere from a parts car. And just switch them.

-Artem

Rustam
03-19-2006, 05:25 PM
Sorry: Yes it is a 535I 1989.
I try to put shifter in R or D, but the transmition does not goes in any gear. The shifter just goes blank with no results. I am not able to move the car because the transmition it will not engage in any gear.

check my website for shifter switch cleaning information...

begeta50
03-19-2006, 06:16 PM
Actually, what happen is that the cable came off from some pin at the transmisson. If you guys can give me some idea how to fix this problem?

As you guys know from the transmission lever on the left side there is a cable. That cable came off from the transmission. My question is do I have to replace it?

Rustam
03-19-2006, 06:20 PM
Actually, what happen is that the cable came off from some pin at the transmisson. If you guys can give me some idea how to fix this problem?

As you guys know from the transmission lever on the left side there is a cable. That cable came off from the transmission. My question is do I have to replace it?

how do you know that the cable got loose there?

genphreak
03-19-2006, 06:27 PM
check my website for shifter switch cleaning information...I did this when pulling my dash and my reverse lights came back to life! They intermittently died a while ago- if you notice this do not leave it as the plastic around the contacts melts due to the heat caused by the minute arcing that occurs... great work Rustam!

begeta50
03-19-2006, 06:27 PM
how do you know that the cable got loose there?

I took a look under the hood, and I saw the cable from the transmission moving, but it is not doing anything. The proble is that the car is parked on the street, and I am not able to lift the car. But, I am also unable to move the car.

begeta50
03-19-2006, 06:30 PM
check my website for shifter switch cleaning information...

Can you tell me your website address?

Kalevera
03-19-2006, 06:31 PM
Haaah...when I first read this thread, I thought about replying with a note on checking the cable adjustment.

Cable can be replaced -- not that hard. Check to see how it broke. If it's the shift arm on the trans itself, I don't have any ideas. If the cable broke, perhaps it can be adjusted to work.

Heck, I've got the shift cable and linkage left over from my manual swap. You can have it and the rest of the shifter assembly (NPS, gate) for $50. I'll even cover shipping in the US. PM me if you want it.

best, whit

Rustam
03-19-2006, 09:16 PM
I took a look under the hood, and I saw the cable from the transmission moving, but it is not doing anything. The proble is that the car is parked on the street, and I am not able to lift the car. But, I am also unable to move the car.

I did not know that transmission cable is possible to see from just under the hood. My website is listed in my user profile, but, here you go:

http://mysite.verizon.net/vzerdcib/e34a/

begeta50
03-19-2006, 10:41 PM
Good picture about cleaning the electronic shifter, and that is what I cleaned before I saw those pictures, but my car still not shifting.
I think is tha cable that broke at the right at the transmission. What I need now is if someone can tell me how can I push that pin at the transmission shiftener, so I can put the transmission on neutral, so I can push the car into my garage.

Phatty5BMW
03-20-2006, 01:48 PM
Yes it defenitly is the cable. My cable broke and i couldnt get my car out of S D lol. E-braked it and switched it manually on the trans, had to do that 30 miles to get home too. I ended up getting my stuff at the stealer cant remeber the price but if you do, they have an "updated" mounting bracket us 30$$ and you dont even need it, well atleast i didn't. It is an easy fix for the most part, took me 30 minutes or so. I thought my trans was f-ed but the cable just snapped. Good luck man!!

Pat