PDA

View Full Version : Steering wheel repair?

NitrousO
03-19-2006, 12:50 PM
The leather on my steering wheel is cracked and and has its finish rubbed off in many places (years of hard driving by my dad). Is there some way I could repair the leather on it? As far as I can tell the leather itself hasnt actually torn or been breached. Just a lot of cracking and loss of the finish (Or whatever you call it with leather). I could get a steering wheel cover but that seems like a cheap solution and makes it feel cheap. Any ideas?

Erwin8r
03-19-2006, 04:16 PM
The leather on my steering wheel is cracked and and has its finish rubbed off in many places (years of hard driving by my dad). Is there some way I could repair the leather on it? As far as I can tell the leather itself hasnt actually torn or been breached. Just a lot of cracking and loss of the finish (Or whatever you call it with leather). I could get a steering wheel cover but that seems like a cheap solution and makes it feel cheap. Any ideas?
There are nice "sew-on" covers that do a decent job and look good. IF money is no object, you can have your steering wheel custom-covered (Alcantara, Leather, etc.) at some good upholstery shops; your third option is to buy a replacement on eBay. I've seen stock wheels in great shape (but without the airbag) go for $50...

Scott C
03-19-2006, 08:23 PM
There are nice "sew-on" covers that do a decent job and look good. IF money is no object, you can have your steering wheel custom-covered (Alcantara, Leather, etc.) at some good upholstery shops; your third option is to buy a replacement on eBay. I've seen stock wheels in great shape (but without the airbag) go for $50...

I got one that appeared to be new old stock off of ebay for 80$.... Very happy with it until my wife scraped the bottom of it with something sharp.

632 Regal
03-19-2006, 08:42 PM
dont Jon's mom redo these things?

Speeder 553
03-19-2006, 08:42 PM

How much do the upholstery shops want? What is Alcantara?

Thanks

mattyb
03-19-2006, 08:43 PM
bigkriss had a nice steering wheel for sale some time ago

KurtM
03-20-2006, 11:38 AM
which will be on my spring detail list.

Kurt
95 525ia

http://www.bmwe34.net/e34main/maintenance/interior/Steering_wheel.htm