PDA

View Full Version : My first BMW

tpierce
03-19-2006, 10:05 AM
Hello, let me introduce myself. My name is Travis, i am currently serving in the US Army in Germany for the next year or so. I just bought a 1992 525i sedan to get around in and i have a few questions. I usually regular audi forums, as that is what i own and have owned before.
1-from my understanding, and what i've seen in the searches, these cars have a timing belt, no biggie. Is there a procedure posted online for changing it?
2-How much oil do they hold with a filter change? I plan on using Castrol 10w40.
3-Can the service indicator be reset w/o a diagnostic tool?
4-Is there anywhere i can get the radio code w/o going to the dealer?

Some info on the car. It has ~178,000km (~111,000 miles), maroon with tan cloth interior, 5-speed, manual windows, sunroof, it is in decent shape, just needing some minor things, for $1000 US, i can't beat it.

Any help is appreciated, i plan on hanging out here alot. Pictures wll be posted soon.

Bill R.
03-19-2006, 10:15 AM
belt. Oil change is 5.75 liters , just about 6.075 quarts or 6.
Yes the service indicator can be reset
No you need to remove the radio and get the numbers off of it then take those to the dealer to get the code
Bruno's site here will have the reset procedure and a lot of other info for the M50 motor Bruno's site (http://www.bmwe34.net/)

Hello, let me introduce myself. My name is Travis, i am currently serving in the US Army in Germany for the next year or so. I just bought a 1992 525i sedan to get around in and i have a few questions. I usually regular audi forums, as that is what i own and have owned before.
1-from my understanding, and what i've seen in the searches, these cars have a timing belt, no biggie. Is there a procedure posted online for changing it?
2-How much oil do they hold with a filter change? I plan on using Castrol 10w40.
3-Can the service indicator be reset w/o a diagnostic tool?
4-Is there anywhere i can get the radio code w/o going to the dealer?

Some info on the car. It has ~178,000km (~111,000 miles), maroon with tan cloth interior, 5-speed, manual windows, sunroof, it is in decent shape, just needing some minor things, for $1000 US, i can't beat it.

Any help is appreciated, i plan on hanging out here alot. Pictures wll be posted soon.

Evan
03-19-2006, 10:23 AM
You're going to love your BMW and this board. Welcome!

tpierce
03-19-2006, 10:25 AM
Nice, very happy to hear about the chain. Thanks for the site, lots of information there.

belt. Oil change is 5.75 liters , just about 6.075 quarts or 6.
Yes the service indicator can be reset
No you need to remove the radio and get the numbers off of it then take those to the dealer to get the code
Bruno's site here will have the reset procedure and a lot of other info for the M50 motor Bruno's site (http://www.bmwe34.net/)

joshua43214
03-19-2006, 01:00 PM
Pull the radio and see if the code is hand printed on it somewhere. I know it sounds like a crime, but many techs write the radio code on the radio so that it wont get lost ;P

Kalevera
03-19-2006, 01:27 PM
On #4 -- post the serial number and I'll dig up the code for you.

best, whit

tpierce
03-19-2006, 02:23 PM

best, whit

do you mean the serial number on the radio or the VIN?
The VIN is WBAHD51090BG41641.
I can get the radio serial number tommarrow if that is what you need. I really appreciate it, but i don't know if it will work because the car is a european model. Thanks

rob101
03-19-2006, 03:48 PM

best, whit
you can do that for euro spec as well?

Kalevera
03-19-2006, 05:09 PM
We'll soon see :)

Nope, not the vin -- radio serial #, as others have said. Should begin with an A or an F, but who knows with the Euro cars.

best, whit