PDA

View Full Version : DOOR SWAP 89 ~ 92: Help

talltorontoguy
03-19-2006, 09:48 AM
Hey all,

I have a set of doors from an 89 that are being swapped onto my 92 before it goes out for paint.

The doors bolt up, but there is a small alignment issue on the rear doors. The top of the door does not go quite flush with the roof of the car or the front door; it is sticking out about 2mm.

ETK shows different part numbers from 89 to 92. Anyone know what the differences were and if there is a way to make these fit perfectly?

Rod

632 Regal
03-19-2006, 11:53 AM
did you adjust the alignment? also did you replace the bushings, they could wear giving a bad alignment.

skr
03-19-2006, 12:20 PM
doors are identical. i have a rear door off a '94 . i had some troubles aligning it, as in your case it was sticking out a little but in the end it worked out fine. is the shop painting it completly? i had mine striped to the metal, prmed and painted. it costs more but i have the satisfaction that under the panel it's blue

Kalevera
03-19-2006, 01:22 PM
I know there are shims to properly align E30 doors; believe it to be the same for E34 doors, but have never done it myself.

best, whit

talltorontoguy
03-19-2006, 08:35 PM
Thanks guys.

I've had a few problems with this little project. I can check out the shims idea, there are none on the door now so maybe it needs some. Any guides out there?

The electricals seems to be different too. Back windows don't operate from central switching but work fine from the switch on the door itself. Front driver's door doesn't unlock, locks only - however all doors lock / unlock from passenger door (the only original door on the car).

Car is going in for bodywork and paint on Wednesday, under the gun.

632 Regal
03-19-2006, 08:41 PM
if you loosen the bolts you should be able to shift the door around to the point that it fits decent, if not the door could be bent or *tweaked*

edit, manhandle the window piller to fit.

Javier
03-20-2006, 07:16 PM
keep your original door guts.

Javier