PDA

View Full Version : New problem to deal with...

Rustam
03-18-2006, 04:10 PM
My car doesn't start now. As soon as I turn the key the starter makes ticking sounds. I imagine that maybe from the cogs of starter gear coming in slight contact with the flywheel, due to inability of the solenoid to provide good push, possibly for related electrical drain problem. The ticking does not continue indefinitely - the lamps of the speedometer dim away very noticably, as if the drain gets to originate in the "start" position of the key.

Has someone had anything similar occur?

I will have to check for current drain that originates in "start" position. Perhaps there is a short circuit at the starter that prevents the solenoid to engage. I have consequently checked the resistance across battery cables finding meager 87 Ohm resistance in "off" position of the switch. I don't think that this is normal resistance but I'd like to know what others think/know about it since I've never checked it before this problem.

Bill R.
03-18-2006, 04:14 PM
voltage at the battery, have someone try to start the car as you reading the voltage at the battery, measure the drop and see how quickly it recovers after they quit trying.

My car doesn't start now. As soon as I turn the key the starter makes ticking sounds. I imagine that maybe from the cogs of starter gear coming in slight contact with the flywheel, due to inability of the solenoid to provide good push, possibly for related electrical drain problem. The ticking does not continue indefinitely - the lamps of the speedometer dim away very noticably, as if the drain gets to originate in the "start" position of the key.

Has someone had anything similar occur?

I will have to check for current drain that originates in "start" position. Perhaps there is a short circuit at the starter that prevents the solenoid to engage. I have consequently checked the resistance across battery cables finding meager 87 Ohm resistance in "off" position of the switch. I don't think that this is normal resistance but I'd like to know what others think/know about it since I've never checked it before this problem.

Evan
03-18-2006, 04:21 PM
agreed... start with charging or changing your battery. If your battery was good, the starter would crank for a long time with no dimming of dash lights.

Rustam
03-18-2006, 04:21 PM
voltage at the battery, have someone try to start the car as you reading the voltage at the battery, measure the drop and see how quickly it recovers after they quit trying.

the voltage at the battery was 11.75V today when I attempted to start again - I guessed this was sufficient. I've seen such voltage level many times before this problem.

Bill R.
03-18-2006, 04:26 PM
If its an internally shorted battery it will drop to below 8 volts almost instantly

the voltage at the battery was 11.75V today when I attempted to start again - I guessed this weas sufficient.

Rustam
03-18-2006, 04:33 PM
If its an internally shorted battery it will drop to below 8 volts almost instantly

thank you - this tip is invaluable

Kalevera
03-18-2006, 05:25 PM
ditto. had one of those on Friday. No amount of charging will fix it. Time for an Autozone Duralast.

Rustam
03-18-2006, 06:20 PM
ditto. had one of those on Friday. No amount of charging will fix it. Time for an Autozone Duralast.

the issue is closed...

The battery is 1 year old, packs 11.75V open circuit, with zero drop at load. The problem is with oxygen sensor which I rewired earlier to adjust MAF sensor and the mixture. Thank you.