PDA

View Full Version : Rocker Arm Bushing

JMI
03-18-2006, 02:08 PM
M30 Engine:

Could someone please point out the rocker arm bushing in this diagram:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=HD23&mospid=47408&btnr=11_1188&hg=11&fg=25

Thanks

Jim

joshua43214
03-18-2006, 02:13 PM
part number 21

Rustam
03-18-2006, 02:22 PM
M30 Engine:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=HD23&mospid=47408&btnr=11_1188&hg=11&fg=25

Thanks

Jim

The bushing is embedded into the rocker arm in a form of a steel cylinder with an opening for the rocker shaft.

joshua43214
03-18-2006, 02:42 PM
For some reason I have a memory that the bushing was available as a separate item that could be replaced by a machinist. I have always just replaced the entire rocker, saves alot of downtime and elimates the chance of poor work.

Scott H
03-18-2006, 02:54 PM
and what is the purpose? What are you trying to looks for/accomplish. Bushing is probably a bad term to use in this area.

As the others have stated....easier to just buy the new rocker arm and avoid taking a chance.

M30 Engine:

Thanks

Jim

Rustam
03-18-2006, 03:56 PM
and what is the purpose? What are you trying to looks for/accomplish. Bushing is probably a bad term to use in this area.

As the others have stated....easier to just buy the new rocker arm and avoid taking a chance.

I think he is refering to the statement in Bentley repair manumal that says something like "check the bushing of the rocker for roundness"... that bushing is steel crescent that comes in contact with the camshaft - it has to be perfectly smooth and perfectly round.

Bill R.
03-18-2006, 04:20 PM
rocker arm, bentley's states to inspect blah blah blah, Most rocker arms use a bronze bushing pressed into the bore of the rocker since steel on steel isn't a good idea usually.. but in this case bmw doesn't sell the bushing separately only as a complete unit in the rocker arm, pressed in and honed to size.

quote=Scott H]and what is the purpose? What are you trying to looks for/accomplish. Bushing is probably a bad term to use in this area.

As the others have stated....easier to just buy the new rocker arm and avoid taking a chance.[/quote]

Scott H
03-18-2006, 06:02 PM
and yes I would think it has to be smooth and round. I replaced all of mine when I rebuilt my M30.....the pads were worn enough to warrant replacement. What I was trying to get at is the problem JMI is looking for.

I think he is refering to the statement in Bentley repair manumal that says something like "check the bushing of the rocker for roundness"... that bushing is steel crescent that comes in contact with the camshaft - it has to be perfectly smooth and perfectly round.

Rustam
03-18-2006, 06:42 PM
and yes I would think it has to be smooth and round. I replaced all of mine when I rebuilt my M30.....the pads were worn enough to warrant replacement. What I was trying to get at is the problem JMI is looking for.

I would not call that a bearing because it bears nothing... The rocker in fact, is more of a bearing for the bushing itself since it holds it.

I did not bother checking neither the bushing nor the crescent pad. In North America - BAVAUTO.COM - charged 14.99 per rocker in Summer 2005... 12 nice rockers - end of the story.

JMI
03-18-2006, 10:06 PM
Thanks everybody.
Yes I was referring to the statement in Bentleys