PDA

View Full Version : BMW 520i project?

BMW_fAN
03-18-2006, 11:38 AM
Hi this is my first post so saying a big hello to you all.

I have the chance to buy a great BMW 520i which is a L reg or 1993 E34.Its the 520i model.Its really cheap also.

What the catch is.Is its cam chain has snapped whilst going down a dual carriage way(the owner told me).The normal damage with a broken cam chain or belt is the tappets and valves bend and brake and need re-placing.Which means the engine shouldn't turn over right?Well i spoke to the owner and he said it stills turns over so what are your ideas on this?I'm needing your expert knowledge please:)

Also the engine has done 140,000 miles is it worth it?

If it was just bent valves and broken tappets i was just going to replace them from a donor car.

Ideas please.

BMW_fAN
03-18-2006, 12:15 PM
Come on people please reply this is a great chance for me to own a BMW.
Should i also check the compression of the engine?

Kobe Diesel
03-18-2006, 01:25 PM
Welcome to the forum.

The engine is most likely the interference type, meaning the valves when fully open come very close to contact with piston crowns at TDC. The crowns are machined to accomodate the valve. When timing chains/belts break, damage to valves and valve gear is a given.

If you really like the car, and want to spend the money and have a project on your hands (like me), rebuild the existing engine or swap it for same or larger engine (if you dont mind the research, expense, work). For engine swaps, some enthusiats will recommend the M50 2.5L DOHC. Im thinking of going from M20 to M50, if not, then do extensive engine work on the M20.

Hope this helps with your decision making.

BMW_fAN
03-18-2006, 02:35 PM
I thought all E34 520i after 1990 were m50?

I want to rebuild this one.What i was planning todo is goto a scrap yard.Pick up the valves and tapets off of a donor car.Then buy new cam chain and tensioner.Is this all i need todo to get the car going again?Or do i need to replace something else aswell?

Incase i do need to rebuild the engine?Do you know of a website that sells rebuild kits for the 520i?

Kobe Diesel
03-20-2006, 08:07 PM
M50 in US is 2.5L, I guess it's 2.0L in UK.
Either way, do not rebuild a head with used valves and springs.
Don't know of sites offering kits for 2.0, not familiar with this type, try google search, maybe you can get hits?